JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks for the compliments, and thanks for asking about the link. I've added it to my original post but here it is again:
The link that I found, which gave me the courage to learn to checker on a $1000+ pistol can be found at:
Checkering the front strap of a 1911
I can't say enough about this excellent guide with clear and detailed pictures.

Ironically I have one of the Brownell guides shown, but couldn't find it at the time, so I used a piece of hard maple as a guide and it worked just fine. If I were going to do several more pistols, I would buy one of the Marvel Checkering Guides (about $200) because it supports the checkering file on BOTH sides, instead of just one side. I slipped plenty of times getting started in my learning curve; fortunately was able to cover those slips up as the checkering got deeper.

The pro's have earned my respect for the checkering that they do. Of course, if I were going to do enough of them, a milling machine would be nice too!

You are a braver man than I and an awesome job to boot!

I am getting a Norinco 1911 to do that to as my first.

Dave at SRA does charge around that price range for a hand checkering job like that.

SF-

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads