JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I really had my mind set on something other than a Taurus, but maybe I'm just being stubborn. I'll have to take another look at a Taurus.

i must admit i was never a fan of Taurus. To tell you the truth i despised Taurus. But when i went to check out a couple of para's, ruger, sti's and rock island arms; i actually ended up taking the pt1911 home and have been happy ever since. They are made on the same assembly line as a Springfield Armory. The Taurus was the tightest frame to slide fit and the trigger was quite smooth out of the box. They are quite good for the price. My buddy has a 70's colt and he is even impressed by my Taurus. I'm still not a Taurus fan boy but i must agree the pt1911 is a great gun for the money.

I have owned nothing but Colt but I think I am going to 'pull the trigger' on a Citadel (Armscor) 1911 in 9mm I have been looking at. Reviews seem to be pretty good for the Armscor and it is the only 9mm 1911 I can find, and the $519 price tag is attractive also.

Bought a Kimber ProCarry II several months ago ($775). Liked it so much I turned right around and purchased a Sig Tac Ops, Night sights, rail, ambi safety ($900). Love'em

I carried a Glock forever and still over the utility of it but have almost exclusively been carrying/shooting both 1911s for the past several months.

I have the fever. And it is a great fever to have!

temporary_zps4c44900c.jpg

My thoughts:
Over a grand, Dan Wesson.
Around a grand, Colt.
Less than $1000, Ruger.

My Colt is a very nice gun from the 50's and it has the finish to prove it. Wonderful gun to shoot and look at. The Dan Wesson is my EDC and has been since I got it in 09. It's not nearly as pretty as it used to be, but it is one fine tool. Even thought the Colt is my sentimental favorite, the Dan Wesson would be the last handgun I would ever sell. Pretty impressive piece. The Ruger I bought is actually now my wife's, cuz she liked it so much. From day one it has fed and cycled without a hitch. Everyone that shot the Ruger had very favorable comments. And, nothing that Ruger casts has ever been a worry to me. Bill knew his stuff!

If I can find a ruger sr1911 for under $700 I'd buy it in a heartbeat, no thinking or second guessing. I own a sti spartan v in 9mm and I love it.

Agreed! The SR1911 is an excellent .45! I have an Ithaca 1911 from WWII that I wouldn't trade for anything. There's just something about them.

<broken link removed>

I saw that post on their facebook page. I headed out there around 530pm and had a chance to handle the sr1911. I didn't like how the slide matched up with the frame. The slide was tight and you could feel like it scratching or sandpaper like when you racked the slide. Unfortunately I didn't take it home. Now I'm second guessing myself on should I go back there in the morning and buy it. I know the tightness will go away after a couple rounds but I don't want to end up with another bad 1911. Ive handled other sr1911 and when you rack the slide it was as smooth as glass. What do you guys think? Buy or pass?

I saw that post on their facebook page. I headed out there around 530pm and had a chance to handle the sr1911. I didn't like how the slide matched up with the frame. The slide was tight and you could feel like it scratching or sandpaper like when you racked the slide. Unfortunately I didn't take it home. Now I'm second guessing myself on should I go back there in the morning and buy it. I know the tightness will go away after a couple rounds but I don't want to end up with another bad 1911. Ive handled other sr1911 and when you rack the slide it was as smooth as glass. What do you guys think? Buy or pass?

Have them field strip it for you and inspect the slide and rails. If could be left over grit form mfg.
Get them to wipe the slide down and put a few drops of oil on it. Assemble, then listen to it closely. The gun will talk to you.
If it is metal galling - PASS

Buy it. That will smooth out. If by some chance there is a real problem, Ruger's warranty and warranty service is second to none. If you buy something else, you will spend more money on less of a gun.

$829? Nah, they are smokin crack. $669, won't find a better 1911 for anywhere the money.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top