JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I think I've got it. I find myself checking the classifieds every week or so for a reasonably priced 1911. By reasonable, I mean under $1000. I own a 1903 Type 1 Colt "Pocket" model in .32 ACP, which is about a 2/3 scale version of a 1911 .45 ACP and I love that little gun, but I just have a craving for a larger .45 version of it.

What would be a good 1911 to look for? It doesn't have to be a Colt, but I'm not interested in something like a Taurus. Colt, Remington, or Browning would be preferred. I'm not interested in a foreign made off brand. What about RIA? Is that a quality gun? The S&W E series looks pretty good and the price is under $1000. Decent choice?

I have a Beretta, Starfire .25 auto I want to get rid of to help finance the new pistol. I doubt it's had 50 rounds through it and it's LNIB, with the box and literature. I inherited it, so I have no idea what that's worth. Could I get maybe $250 for it?

Any thoughts from people who know 1911's would be greatly appreciated.

well i have had 2 Colt MK IV Series 70 , went through 2 RIA,s and when i got a taurus i ditched the RIA's in a heart beat. fit and form was as good as the Colt MK IV Series 70 i had.
and was twice as accurate as the RIA's with the loose fit they had. right now i have two taurus PT1911's one with rail and one without
they come with bevertail grip safety ambi safety etc etc for the price they are a hell of a good gun

well i have had 2 Colt MK IV Series 70 , went through 2 RIA,s and when i got a taurus i ditched the RIA's in a heart beat. fit and form was as good as the Colt MK IV Series 70 i had.
and was twice as accurate as the RIA's with the loose fit they had. right now i have two taurus PT1911's one with rail and one without
they come with bevertail grip safety ambi safety etc etc for the price they are a hell of a good gun

I really had my mind set on something other than a Taurus, but maybe I'm just being stubborn. I'll have to take another look at a Taurus.

Colt, Dan Wesson or STI...for the money you're wanting to spend.
STI is good and under your budget. I dont know how hard it would be to find a DW or a Colt in this market under 1k. Not sure though what the DW Heritage is selling for new. Might be able though to pick up a Colt government for just under 1k.

One other thing. if you can get a Dan Wesson, get it...

Lol, yeah I got the 1911 bug a while ago myself! I picked up a bnib RIA off here for $450. My dad has a kimber combat special and for one third the price I'm really happy. Sportsmans has the springfields for $599, you can upgrade all your parts on any of them. I'd go for middle of the road, unless you shoot every weekend, 1k is a lot to drop.

Budget- Rock Island, Armscor, etc. Usually good guns and great to get entered into 1911's.

Midrange- Springfield, some STI, Colt, Dan Wesson, etc

Upper end of price- Springfield, STI, Dan Wesson, etc.

If you know want a 1911 I'd look for a used Dan Wesson or Springfield. Find a Springfield TRP or Operator in your price range and you'll be set. It will take some work but they're out there.

For target and/or occasional carry nothing beats my Colt 70's and 80's Series Governments and Commanders. But my nightstand nod goes to a very tight shooting railed stainless Sig with Tritium nite sites, fitted slide, target enhanced trigger, speed bump beavertail safety, front grip serrations and Sig Sauer reliability...all for around $900 otd.

image.jpg

PT1911 around $600 $650 avrage price has most of the bells n wistles taht you might have to add to an RIA or others stock 1911's

top is the daily carry bottom is on the night stand

never mind the glock lazer light combo ona 1911 :D

9968aaf7-a650-4de1-928a-8a014a6ccc6c_zpsb3ca9261.jpg

Funny that his was on top of the handgun section. I own a Colt Series 80 Combat commander, but yesterday I found myself in one of my LGS and ended up buying a Kimber Stainless II (sorry no pics yet). Colt 041.jpg

I have been semi-serious about buying another 1911, but I guess the Kimber catalog has been sitting around for awhile. In one of the previous threads, there was the talk about the GI (the gun with no name), but ultimately, I just couldn't drag $3,000 out of my pocket for one.

So now I have a brand new toy. The Kimber is one absolutely beautiful piece of steel. I always wanted one and now I do. I can understand the feeling. No gun collection is complete without at least one 1911. Here's to the fever!

Colt 041.jpg

That Kimber Stainless ll is my first and only (at this time) 1911. I purchased 2/2011 and have not had an issue. I've wanted to get another 1911 but I'm afraid it may not live up to that Kimber.

Mike

That Kimber Stainless ll is my first and only (at this time) 1911. I purchased 2/2011 and have not had an issue. I've wanted to get another 1911 but I'm afraid it may not live up to that Kimber.

Mike

Well Mike I have to say that although I do like the Colt, the fit and finish or refinement of the Kimber is better than all the others I've looked at.
I was considering a Remington Stainless, but it just didn't meet up with the Kimber.

As far as shooting goes, my Colt works great.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top