JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
just purchased a 1911 9mm this week
I was expecting a mild shooting pistol since it's a Govenment model
with 147 gn Lawman ammo, it kicked worse than my .45
check the OEM website and they recommend 115 gn for the 12 lbs factory recoil spring
tried this and found a very comfortable, low recoil target pistol, minimal muzzle flip, even one handed
ordered a spring tuning pack from Wolff so I have the proper spring for each of my ammo selections

how many retune their pistols for their ammo or handloads - or do you select ammo for your individual pistol?
Wolff make spring tuning pack for over 60 pistols, so I know there is a market out there

You can find Nic's spring kits at his Ebay storefront for a little cheaper than his website.
They are good springs and color-coded.
Watch his video in my link above.

You can find Nic's spring kits at his Ebay storefront for a little cheaper than his website.
They are good springs and color-coded.
Watch his video in my link above.
I like the idea of color codes springs - thanks for the heads up

147's should kick softer.
this 147 gn Lawman ammo have significant recoil in all 3 of my 9mm, more so than 124 Nato loads

don't have a chrono to verify velocity

I'll just respiring for these loads since I acquired 500 rnds, just wont purchase any more

my wife wont let me reload in our house, so I'm stuck with factory loads

from a 1911 forum:

"Sadly the flat wire springs, (which I like) do not produce the advertised weight at the 1911 full recoil compression, especially the ones for the 5" GM.

The reason is no one is actually making the flat wire springs for any of the 1911 models and variations. Hold your hat on, they are made specifically for the Glock various models and are being marketed for the 1911. Only the guide rods and plugs are now being made so the flat wire spring for glock can be used in the 1911.

I bought a number of them specifically for the 1911 and discovered they do not come close to the advertised weight as they do not compress as much as they do in the Glock. You can, as I have, simply buy them from Brownells, etc., for Glock and save a few $ for the same spring. Cut the longer ones that would stack in an Officer, compact, recoil space and the weight is close to the label."

since I'm tuning a Glock 9mm conversion also, I'll try the Wolff springs in the 9mm 1911 - already ordered the 1911 flat wire adapter from Wilson

Stock Colt 1911 9mm uses a 14# recoil spring and a 23# mainspring.

Stock Browning Hi-Power 9mm uses a 17# and a 32#.

Get a Hi-Power.

Lol
and which weight 9mm load was the 14# spring intended for?

I hope one does not think any pistol would fire all different weights of 9mm loads with no change in recoil - spring engineering does not support such a concept

Wolf has a nice set of tuning springs for the High Power also, but a high power trigger is no comparison to a 1911 single stage match trigger

The High Power was a classic for it's time in the '30s, but antiquated by todays technology

I don't think I've ever seen a High Power used in modern target shooting

and a High Power and 1911 are apples and oranges, even if both were designed by Browning

just for reference, I checked the 1911 forum and the Colt Goverment does come with a 14# recoils spring
and EVER contributor to the forum says they rip out the 14# as soon as they get their firearm home and tune their 191 to the loads they use in competition
for handloaded 115 target loads, they go as low as 10#, for factory 115 loads, they usually use 12# , which is what my pistol came with

but I also have lots of 124 NATO and 147 Lawman Target, which requires a heavier spring
I'll post in another week after I try out the new springs on the heavier loads

just purchased a 1911 9mm this week
I was expecting a mild shooting pistol since it's a Govenment model
with 147 gn Lawman ammo, it kicked worse than my .45
check the OEM website and they recommend 115 gn for the 12 lbs factory recoil spring
tried this and found a very comfortable, low recoil target pistol, minimal muzzle flip, even one handed
ordered a spring tuning pack from Wolff so I have the proper spring for each of my ammo selections

how many retune their pistols for their ammo or handloads - or do you select ammo for your individual pistol?
Wolff make spring tuning pack for over 60 pistols, so I know there is a market out there
I run 147 Speer Lawman and G2 in my Colt Government using the 14# recoil spring on a solid guide rod. Zero issues.

just for reference, I checked the 1911 forum and the Colt Goverment does come with a 14# recoils spring
and EVER contributor to the forum says they rip out the 14# as soon as they get their firearm home and tune their 191 to the loads they use in competition
for handloaded 115 target loads, they go as low as 10#, for factory 115 loads, they usually use 12# , which is what my pistol came with

but I also have lots of 124 NATO and 147 Lawman Target, which requires a heavier spring
I'll post in another week after I try out the new springs on the heavier loads
Do you change out your springs in your 10-22 when you switch to Stingers?

I run 147 Speer Lawman and G2 in my Colt Government using the 14# recoil spring on a solid guide rod. Zero issues.
that helps, thanks, this is why I opened this thread
I've ordered a 13#, 14# and 15# and GI length guide rod
and a Flat Wire 15# spring with a GI guide rod (flat wire springs take different guide rods)
the pistol came with a full length solid guide rod
the 12# works with 115 gn Remington factory loads, but I wish to also run the 147 through the same pistol
the main spring now is a 20#, I also have a 21# to try

has anyone tried the Wolff variable springs in their 9mm 1911?
I read they work well on the light 115 gn loads

My P320 X-Five is converted to 1911 springs.
OEM is a captured 16# and it would dribble 115gr cases out the top.
A 13# 1911 (Taylor) spring was the fix for a nice ejection pattern.

Having a pistol that will run un-captured 1911 springs is a beautiful thing.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top