JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
Hi everyone I'm just writing this post to ask about the legality of buying a pistol at 18 In Oregon, I've read online that I cannot purchase a handgun from a licensed dealer however, I can legally buy one at 18 by going through a private seller So long as the private seller lives in the same state, I was wondering if anyone in Oregon has done this or if this is a old rule that has been changed recently any help would be great! I've called my local police department and they made it seem like it was a go ahead yet every gun store dealer I called told me there's no way I can do that, so I'm in a lost boat here,

While many states have long had laws like this, that under 21 could legally own a hand gun, the "catch" now is OR requires guns sold to go through a dealer. There are some narrow exceptions about gifting with family. Even with this if a family member sells you the gun and either of you admit it you are violating the law. As with ALL questions about legal anything, be VERY careful about what anyone tells you on the net.

Yeah, I find the "going through a private seller" part kind of squishy. I'm not an OR resident, and I don't play a lawyer on TV, but doesn't OR have the same kind of BGC/FFL laws that WA does? Meaning that the only gun transfers involving paying money that are allowed by law must occur through an FFL.

WA allows gifting of firearms to family members, and as @Alexx1401 says, you'd be better off not ever admitting that you paid for it. WA law uses the term "bona fide gift" in the family member transfer section of the law, meaning no money, compensation, nor any other consideration was given for the firearm.

While many states have long had laws like this, that under 21 could legally own a hand gun, the "catch" now is OR requires guns sold to go through a dealer. There are some narrow exceptions about gifting with family. Even with this if a family member sells you the gun and either of you admit it you are violating the law. As with ALL questions about legal anything, be VERY careful about what anyone tells you on the net.
Thank you for the info, so just to clarify because we have to go through a gun dealer for the background check it means It's not a private transaction anymore?

Thank you for the info, so just to clarify because we have to go through a gun dealer for the background check it means It's not a private transaction anymore?
From Oregon State Police: https://www.oregon.gov

Federal – must be 18 years old to purchase long gun, 21 years old to purchase hand gun 18 U.S.C. § 922(b)(1)

Oregon – must be 18 years old to purchase a firearm ORS 166.470; however, federal law imposes stricter requirements for handgun purchases.

That is correct. As soon as you involve an FFL, the transaction is no longer a private transfer.

Last Edited:
Hi everyone I'm just writing this post to ask about the legality of buying a pistol at 18 In Oregon, I've read online that I cannot purchase a handgun from a licensed dealer however, I can legally buy one at 18 by going through a private seller So long as the private seller lives in the same state, I was wondering if anyone in Oregon has done this or if this is a old rule that has been changed recently any help would be great! I've called my local police department and they made it seem like it was a go ahead yet every gun store dealer I called told me there's no way I can do that, so I'm in a lost boat here,
Poly80 while it last. Building your own is perfectly legal for now.

Is an 18-year-old legally allowed to build a handgun in OR? I mean, since it's a "ghost gun", technically no one would ever know he built it...
But what's Giovanni's legal exposure should the worst obtain (say, like, getting ratted out by someone who doesn't subscribe to Giovanni's 2A beliefs)?

A little bird has mentioned to me that we should be wary here...

Is an 18-year-old legally allowed to build a handgun in OR? I mean, since it's a "ghost gun", technically no one would ever know he built it...
But what's Giovanni's legal exposure should the worst obtain (say, like, getting ratted out by someone who doesn't subscribe to Giovanni's 2A beliefs)?
I am unaware of any law in OR that prevents an 18 year old from owning a handgun in OR. But if somebody is, please post a link to the law.

May an individual between the ages of 18 and 21 years of age acquire a handgun from an unlicensed individual who is also a resident of that same state?

An individual between 18 and 21 years of age may acquire a handgun from an unlicensed individual who resides in the same state, provided the person acquiring the handgun is not otherwise prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under federal law. A federal firearms licensee may not, however, sell or deliver a firearm other than a shotgun or rifle to a person the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is under 21 years of age.
There may be state or local laws or regulations that govern this type of transaction. Contact the office of your State Attorney General for information on any such requirements.
[18 U.S.C. 922(b)(1)]

Source: https://www.atf.gov/questions-and-a...8-and-21-years-age-acquire-handgun-unlicensed

I'm not gonna go hunt up something out of the Federal Register, but I'm pretty sure that federal laws regarding handguns and those under 21 are more strict that what are on the books in Oregon. But I could be wrong.

ETA: OK, I see that. But what is the law in Oregon regarding acquiring handguns from unlicensed individuals? Do you still have private seller laws that would allow an 18 yoa person to buyone?

I'm not gonna go hunt up something out of the Federal Register, but I'm pretty sure that federal laws regarding handguns and those under 21 are more strict that what are on the books in Oregon. But I could be wrong.
Federal law allows for possession of handguns by 18 year olds. They also allow for private sales of handguns to 18 year olds, but not through FFLs. See link above.

Just wait until you're 21.
No legal (going through FFL) private sale in Oregon can attain you a pistol. FFLs will not do it. Simply wait.
There are no "private sales" anymore. Everything in Oregon when done leaglly now must go through an FFL.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads