JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
I'm not gonna go hunt up something out of the Federal Register, but I'm pretty sure that federal laws regarding handguns and those under 21 are more strict that what are on the books in Oregon. But I could be wrong.

ETA: OK, I see that. But what is the law in Oregon regarding acquiring handguns from unlicensed individuals? Do you still have private seller laws that would allow an 18 yoa person to buyone?
No, except for private family transfer.

No, except for private family transfer.
But is that for buying one, as I asked? Or is that for a gift, correct?

ETA: So, is it still legal in OR to SELL a fireman to a family member? In WA, that is now strictly verboten after I-594 back in 2014. What's the deal in OR now?

Here is a cheat sheet from an anti-gun website with State age requirements:

But is that for buying one, as I asked? Or is that for a gift, correct?
You can buy or gift it as long as the family member is on the list of exempted family members.

Edit: List of family members which can transfer to each other without background check.

(c) The transfer of a firearm to:

(A) A transferors spouse or domestic partner;

(B) A transferors parent or stepparent;

(C) A transferors child or stepchild;

(D) A transferors sibling;

(E) A transferors grandparent;

(F) A transferors grandchild;

(G) A transferors aunt or uncle;

(H) A transferors first cousin;

(I) A transferors niece or nephew; or

(J) The spouse or domestic partner of a person specified in subparagraphs (B) to (I) of this paragraph.

Source: https://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/166.435

Last Edited:
You can buy or gift it as long as the family member is on the list of exempted family members.
Huh, so a family member can still make a buck in Oregon. The clowns in Olympia took that away from us in 2014 after I-594 passed.
We can only transfer a firearm to a permitted family member as a "bona fide gift" now. Legally, that is. And the transferee can't be under 21 for a handgun...

Huh, so a family member can still make a buck in Oregon. The clowns in Olympia took that away from us in 2014 after I-594 passed.
We can only transfer a firearm to a permitted family member as a "bona fide gift" now. Legally, that is. And the transferee can't be under 21 for a handgun...
I am sure OR will be that way soon.

Good thing I bought my sons their glocks while they were still in high school. Lol
Back in the olden days. Before citizens were subjugated by the midnight legislators of Olympia .

Honestly, at this point, I don't give a crap. If want give or loan my kid MY weapon(s), that's what I'm going to do.
I just want the OP to understand he can legally build a handgun and unless he a has a willing relative or moves to a free State, a poly80 glock build might be the easiest legal option.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads