JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I also just like leaver actions I guess. Call me a wanna be cowboy but I would be pretty happy with a 12 guage and a leaver action 30 30 with a gold colored reciver

Those are fine options. Sportsmans Warehouse had the security version of the 88 on sale for $189 recently. Has 20 inch barrel and extended mag tube.

Not to be preachy, but take this situation as a life lesson. One dumb mistake can ruin your life as you know it. I know a kid who did three years in prison because he was doing donuts in a gravel parking lot in his pickup truck and his buddy fell out of the back and was hurt. Since it was an injury incident, his BAC was checked and he blew a .04. Well under the legal limit, but he was 20. Zero tolerance. He was convicted of vehicular assault.

You should be fine bud, I'm 40 now but back in the day I had a few of those kinds of tickets and never had a problem. Doing doughnuts on a public road is dangerous and iresponsible and blah blah blah, there's no question, but also if that's the worse thing youve done you're no different than 99.9% of dudes.

A single shot AR platform would definitely be cool, but the Maverick 88 is a GREAT first gun so if you want one get one. A pump 12gauge is American and pure as, well, doing doughnuts. It just feels right. ;)

If you wanted a 30-30, I would look for a used model 94 or 336. They can be had for a reasonable amount of money, but prices seem to be creeping up.

If I were under 21 with todays rules, I'd have a good pump shotgun, a bolt action or single shot rimfire (22LR, 22 WMR, 17 HMR), and a scoped bolt action centerfire rifle...at a minimum.

Those are fine options. Sportsmans Warehouse had the security version of the 88 on sale for $189 recently. Has 20 inch barrel and extended mag tube.

Not to be preachy, but take this situation as a life lesson. One dumb mistake can ruin your life as you know it. I know a kid who did three years in prison because he was doing donuts in a gravel parking lot in his pickup truck and his buddy fell out of the back and was hurt. Since it was an injury incident, his BAC was checked and he blew a .04. Well under the legal limit, but he was 20. Zero tolerance. He was convicted of vehicular assault.
Jeez. ThAt sucks for that guy. Yeah I have wised up quite a bit sense I was 16. I'm no saint, but less stupid.

There is nothing wrong with the Mossy shotguns, very nice for the price. As for the lever gun most worth having have started to get pricey. Caliber will depend on what you want it for. Do you wish to hunt, or just for fun? If for fun one of the levers in a pistol caliber is a lot of fun and easy to load for to save bucks. Sadly they are getting expensive these days.

I think you could buy a complete at15 lower from somewhere like sporting systems in Vancouver, as it is not semi auto if just a lower.

Then order whatever upper you want online.

You should be fine bud, I'm 40 now but back in the day I had a few of those kinds of tickets and never had a problem. Doing doughnuts on a public road is dangerous and iresponsible and blah blah blah, there's no question, but also if that's the worse thing youve done you're no different than 99.9% of dudes.

A single shot AR platform would definitely be cool, but the Maverick 88 is a GREAT first gun so if you want one get one. A pump 12gauge is American and pure as, well, doing doughnuts. It just feels right. ;)
He'll yeah!

I understand. A complete ar15 rifle lower is not a pistol and not a semi auto rifle. He should be able to buy it.

Not sure about the legalities of an 18 year old assembling a semi auto, but frankly I don't care and neither should anyone else.
If he could find a FFL that will transfer an AR15 rifle lower as a rifle, that might work but it might be hard to find one. I think he will have better luck transferring a straight pull manual loading rifle and then he can do what he wants after he owns it.

So I will be 18 in a month and I enjoy shooting. I was planning on buying either a Mossberg mavrek 88 or a leaver action of some kind probably chambered in 30 30. I had a reckless driving incident when I was 16 but had it lowered to a neglence in the 2nd degree. Will I be allowed to buy a gun or will the original charge be seen and not allow me to buy a gun?
Any help is appreachated
David

The 1639 might hang you up somehow. If you do your research now . It might save you grief on day of purchase possibly a local gun shop can help you out ? If they do take the time to help you buy from them ,good service is hard to find now days.

If he could find a FFL that will transfer an AR15 rifle lower as a rifle, that might work but it might be hard to find one. I think he will have better luck transferring a straight pull manual loading rifle and then he can do what he wants after he owns it.

Too bad he is seattle area, because I am pretty sure @sportingsystems will.

I heard of other vendors up there saying they would as well when all this kicked off.

Hell I got a cheap fixed stock rifle lower I would sell him, just not sure how that transfer works. Where there is a Will there is a way.

Too bad he is seattle area, because I am pretty sure @sportingsystems will.

I heard of other vendors up there saying they would as well when all this kicked off.

Hell I got a cheap fixed stock rifle lower I would sell him, just not sure how that transfer works. Where there is a Will there is a way.
What would the punishment be if I were to be found with said rifle after I made it semi auto. Say if I had it in my car and I was pulled over for a brake light out

No worries, good to check on line and get some local knowledge. Just FYI, my first 3 guns were Maverick 88 12 gauge pumps. Never regretted any purchase made at Adventure Sports in Lynnwood. Lever actions can still be found in pawn shops, Cabela's, some local gun shops that actually sell used guns, here, etc. Some of the newer ones are really not worth the $$$, they can get that for em as the more collector type rifles bring $$$$$, and are scarce especially in non Western states. An AR-15 is a garbage weapon to begin and end with, however, a nice single shot is a Ruger, with many cheaper options than that all over the map if you don't really want to own a solid rifle available in a myriad of calibers. If you want a pile of parts weapon, buy an AR-15 and listen to all of the experts.
Good thinking that you don't need a bullet hose to learn how to shoot a la 10/22 as most guys my age did. I started with a Winchester 69, peep sight bolt action .22 that I did not get to use the magazine with until I had proved safety and competence. It even broke down to fit in a tent bag! So get a Mr. Mossberg in disguise, without the stupid cheap soft safety /Maverick 88 has a nice firm click sideways safety that is actually quick to get to when in pistol grip configuration. Top safety is great on a double gun, but not a pump gun. Maverick 88 barrels are made South of the Border and will rust up quicker, but those things are well worth every penny, and barrels are the same as a Model 500. Rest of the gun is made in Texas. The 20" 8 shot models handle like crap loaded, too much weight up front. 6 shot pump forget the rest. If you can't do it with 5 or 6 shots it ain't likely to get done with 8. Mrs. Mossberg is a 20ga. handles like a charm and still does a lot of harm.
Suggest a .22lr lever gun, anyone? Happy with my Golden Boy. A grown up Red Ryder. Then pick out a used .22, all those centerfire lever guns are fun as f*ck but suck up the shells $$ quick. Plus they won't sell your butt any pistol shells anyways. So price out 30/30 Win, .308 Win, .300 Perfection, 5.56/30 AssMunch, .35 Ultimate, 6.55 PowerPak, .375 Magma, .4000 KillQwik or whatever cal Lever Action roundage you desire, and the rounds are sold in 20 rd boxes.
12 ga lever gun anyone? Love mine.12 ga wuss loads are cheap and easily available. A lot of the gun fun is in the hunt, keep searching for just the right one. You will know the right one once it's in your hands. Reading and believing the Internet geniuses that think their way is the only idea that could ever possibly make any sense makes no sense to me. Just like any paper, book, or free advice, don't believe everything you read. Plus there is something in the water in Oregon and everybody there is slightly off. But they do have a lot of guns, many folks carry and many of those know how to use them.
Stay strong kid, don't let the man keep you down, thanks for doing your part to keep the queen of England off our backs. I spun dozens of doughnuts, both reverse and forward, on private property, had Friday night tires on proper factory rims, all the citations are involving Operating a Motor Vehicle on a Public Highway.

Last Edited:
No worries, good to check on line and get some local knowledge. Just FYI, my first 3 guns were Maverick 88 12 gauge pumps. Never regretted any purchase made at Adventure Sports in Lynnwood. Lever actions can still be found in pawn shops, Cabela's, some local gun shops that actually sell used guns, here, etc. Some of the newer ones are really not worth the $$$, they can get that for em as the more collector type rifles bring $$$$$, and are scarce especially in non Western states. An AR-15 is a garbage weapon to begin and end with, however, a nice single shot is a Ruger, with many cheaper options than that all over the map if you don't really want to own a solid rifle available in a myriad of calibers. If you want a pile of parts weapon, buy an AR-15 and listen to all of the experts.
Good thinking that you don't need a bullet hose to learn how to shoot a la 10/22 as most guys my age did. I started with a Winchester 69, peep sight bolt action .22 that I did not get to use the magazine with until I had proved safety and competence. It even broke down to fit in a tent bag! So get a Mr. Mossberg in disguise, without the stupid cheap soft safety /Maverick 88 has a nice firm click sideways safety that is actually quick to get to when in pistol grip configuration. Top safety is great on a double gun, but not a pump gun. Maverick 88 barrels are made South of the Border and will rust up quicker, but those things are well worth every penny, and barrels are the same as a Model 500. Rest of the gun is made in Texas. Mrs. Mossberg is a 20ga.
Suggest a .22lr lever gun, anyone? Happy with my Golden Boy. A grown up Red Ryder. Then pick out a used .22, all those centerfire lever guns are fun as f*ck but suck up the shells $$ quick. Plus they won't sell your butt any pistol shells anyways. So price out 30/30 Win, .308 Win, .300 Perfection, 5.56/30 AssMunch, .35 Ultimate, 6.55 PowerPak, .375 Magma, .4000 KillQwik or whatever cal Lever Action roundage you desire, and the rounds are sold in 20 rd boxes.
12 ga lever gun anyone? Love mine.12 ga wuss loads are cheap and easily available. A lot of the gun fun is in the hunt, keep searching for just the right one. You will know the right one once it's in your hands. Reading and believing the Internet geniuses that think their way is the only idea that could ever possibly make any sense makes no sense to me. Just like any paper, book, or free advice, don't believe everything you read. Plus there is something in the water in Oregon and everybody there is slightly off. But they do have a lot of guns, many folks carry and many of those know how to use them.
Stay strong kid, don't let the man keep you down, thanks for doing your part to keep the queen of England off our backs. I spun dozens of doughnuts, both reverse and forward, on private property, had Friday night tires on proper factory rims, all the citations are involving Operating a Motor Vehicle on a Public Highway.
Thanks man yeah I will look more into what I want and for sure!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top