JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I've reloaded forever (12 Guage) for playing / hunting. Used to use a 19 grain sleeve but upped to a 21.5....it's my biggest one.

All my shotguns operate fine with this (bird guns).

Recently I bought a Dickinson hybrid XXPA 12BS. In semi mode, it won't cycle with my rounds (or with normal factory 2.75 bird loads). It's designed to run 3" and I guess mine are too girly....lol.

So....I wanna figure out a load that will work. Thinking 28-30 grains to start. My 21.5 weigh 1.5 so thinking upping that to 1 8-2.0 grams ...

That should cycle the action?

Any thots? I want to play with this bad boy but refuse to pay ridiculous 3" prices...

IMG_20210415_165636318.jpg

Uh what powder? And what weight of charge? You may need to switch to a different powder for more PSI that is still a safe load. Is there a factory shell that currently works?

Ok...appreciate the input guys.

Adding pic of powder.
2.75" so 1 1/8 shot.
Thinking more powder will equal higher FPS and bigger kick, thus cycling the action.....again, this is why I'm posting....lol

No.... I did NOT do any fancy break in. First I've heard of that. I am NOT going to spend an assload of money on stupid shells hoping it breaks in...lol. Stubborn old bastard alert. If I can't make it work easily, I'll sell it as they are a hot commodity. Just a toy....there are other toys I like!

Finally, thanks again people....appreciated. One thing I read was to store it cocked...potentially stressing the spring and a different method to "break it in"....? Doing that....

IMG_20210504_085610608.jpg

Lol. I just want to shoot what I have. Got 9 other shotguns I can stick with... lol

So I am loading a handful of 30 grain, 1.2 oz 4 shot lead....if it doesn't work, look for a new battle buddy for sale 😂

30gr sounds like too much of International, I would be concerned with a PSI related failure... like a gun blowing up. 21.5 is in Hodgdons book, depending on the other components. I would say get a different powder, but there isn't a lot out there right now anyways.

30gr sounds like too much of International, I would be concerned with a PSI related failure... like a gun blowing up. 21.5 is in Hodgdons book, depending on the other components. I would say get a different powder, but there isn't a lot out there right now anyways.
That is my primary concern. I can't find any concrete data. The 3" magnums have a bubblegumload more than that...don't understand the difference....

Different blends of powder for different applications, International is a lighter payload target powder. If you have other pistol powders on hand like HS-6 or HS-7 or Universal those can handle a larger payload.

Shotgun reloading doesn't have the same pressure indicators like you can see in rifle or pistol reloading. For me I stick to the book loads, adding a few extra grains doesn't always translate to PSI and velocity 1 to 1, so you could add a small amount of velocity but drive the PSI up a few 1000 over the max.

For me I stick to the book loads, adding a few extra grains doesn't always translate to PSI and velocity 1 to 1, so you could add a small amount of velocity but drive the PSI up a few 1000 over the max.

All of this plus, unknown effect on payload performance. The propellant for lighter loads tends to be faster burning. Increasing the charge without science to know the effect might lead to a dangerous overload. The 3 inch shells use a slower powder.

you can find plenty of load data on the Hodgdon site, and wow, 30 grains looks DANGEROUS to me. 10 grains over max is what I'm seeing. WOW
Well their data goes to like 23. I've used 23 for 40 years for my trap / hunting loads.

I DID find a place that discussed PSI, which is the issue here. For a fast burning powder, which mine is, I'm calculating around 20M which is considerably above the 12M I've always used. Dangerous? I don't know...barrels rested that I read about fail at 50 but 20 is the "test" and I don't wanna be shooting at that level....lol. So...gonna load up some 25-26 grain and test that. Gonna disassemble my 30s...unless I find someone I hate to give them to 😂😂

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top