JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I had a kid filled morning last Saturday, and on my way out of Salem, stopped in at Guncrafters.
On the used shelf, they had a Model 8. Wait - what? 35 Remington. I looked it over, and didn't even think twice about putting it back on the rack.
Yep, the daddy to the Model 81 that @ageingstudent sold me last year.

Doug and Ron (Guncrafters) were great, rang it up and chatted while waiting on the 4473 (about 3 minutes). They gave me 8 rounds of 35 Rem so I could shoot it.

Once I got home, the standard year of manufacture marks on the barrel shank weren't there. Looked up the serial number, vintage 1912. Damn. :)

Drove out to Lincoln City to meet another NWFA member and buy his stash of 35 Remington ammo and brass.
Ordered bullets, a mold and dies from Midway and Mid South. They were all here by Friday.

The hard cast 200gr bullets from Midway are meh. Wound up putting each one through a .358 sizer, adding the heat shield while I was at it.

Loaded 27 rounds. Took it out to the BP range at TCGC today. There was a sweet-spot at 30gr of 2230.

And oh, that gun is a THUMPER! Have a bruise on my shoulder now... Recoil ache is the sign of a good day.

The Model 81 is the top one in the picture.

Model_81&Model_8.jpg

I had a kid filled morning last Saturday, and on my way out of Salem, stopped in at Guncrafters.
On the used shelf, they had a Model 8. Wait - what? 35 Remington. I looked it over, and didn't even think twice about putting it back on the rack.

Doug and Ron (Guncrafters) were great, rang it up and chatted while waiting on the 4473 (about 3 minutes). They gave me 8 rounds of 35 Rem so I could shoot it.

Once I got home, the standard year of manufacture marks on the barrel shank weren't there. Looked up the serial number, vintage 1912. Damn. :)

Drove out to Lincoln City to meet another NWFA member and buy his stash of 35 Remington ammo and brass.
Ordered bullets, a mold and dies from Midway and Mid South. They were all here by Friday.

The hard cast 200gr bullets from Midway are meh. Wound up putting each one through a .358 sizer, adding the heat shield while I was at it.

Loaded 27 rounds. Took it out to the BP range at TCGC today. There was a sweet-spot at 30gr of 2230.

And oh, that gun is a THUMPER! Have a bruise on my shoulder now... Recoil ache is the sign of a good day.

View attachment 1262212
Do ya' want your poothy pad back? ;)

Oh, and I'm with you on that old gun shooting. Not so much recoil, but shooting an un-molested, 118 year old Swedish Mauser is a pretty neat thing to me.

For you, shouldn't it be looking to getting into more modern guns?

Maybe buy one made in the last 100 years :s0140:

Mike , Percussion is modern ain't it.....? :eek: :D

Ha...one "modern" gun that I shoot very often is a 1946 dated Winchester Model 62....:D
Modern is in quotes 'cause some folks call that rifle old.....:s0140:

I really like those Remington model 8's and 81's like the one's in the OP....
I keep thinking that I should get one in .300 Savage.....Hmmmm
Andy

Last Edited:

Ha...one "modern" gun that I shoot very often is a 1946 dated Winchester Model 62....:D

Andy
Yes you should.
If'n you make it down to Portland, holler and we can shoot both. The 81 is 300 Savage.....

I have a 1905 Winchester Model 1895 deluxe rifle in 30-40 Gov that is a blast to shoot. As is my 1905 Winchester 1897 12ga Nothing like Vintage to make shooting more fun.

Andy
Andy, I have and shoot your 62's daddy, a 1906 Expert 1/2 nickle takedown model. They are fun litle guns to shoot. Mine has beeen in the family since 1934 and I have had it since 1963. It is now over 100 years old and no it is not in 100% condition. It was 2 boys (my father and me) first gun and has seen a lot of use over the years . It had the barrel replaced even before my father got it, probably due to corrosive .22 priming in the early 1900 's ammo. The barrel is alnost a smoothbore now, but it still hits where you aim it. For almost 60 years now it has been my gun and the one I would never give up. I also have a Rossi/Taurus 62 and it is also fun to shoot and is a little more accurate due to a little longer barrel and being newer but it is just not the same as shooting the 1906.

Andy, I have and shoot your 62's daddy, a 1906 Expert 1/2 nickle takedown model. They are fun litle guns to shoot. Mine has beeen in the family since 1934 and I have had it since 1963. It is now over 100 years old and no it is not in 100% condition. It was 2 boys (my father and me) first gun and has seen a lot of use over the years . It had the barrel replaced even before my father got it, probably due to corrosive .22 priming in the early 1900 's ammo. The barrel is alnost a smoothbore now, but it still hits where you aim it. For almost 60 years now it has been my gun and the one I would never give up. I also have a Rossi/Taurus 62 and it is also fun to shoot and is a little more accurate due to a little longer barrel and being newer but it is just not the same as shooting the 1906.
Those 1906's are very nice.
I've seen 'em...handled 'em....never owned one or shot one.
I've owned two Rossi 62's , one blued and one nickel plated...both were fine shooters and looked good...
But yep , just not the same as a Winchester 62.

Nice to read in this thread of old guns that are still in use..as well as old family guns that are still enjoyed.
Andy

I have a 1923 Winchester model 92 in 25.20, while not a thumper, it still in good condition.

Also a 1906 Ross in .303, 1916 .22 pump that shoots but the timing is off when loading the shell from the tube. Doesn't position it to load, just ejects it.

Jack

View attachment 1262212
Does it Buck harder than the 81? Doesn't seem like it should.

It blows me away how much the safety lever looks like an AK.

I'm really glad you're enjoying those. I just didn't have time to enjoy that 81 like I wanted to.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads