JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
No affiliation just saw on Craigslist. Better hurry if u want it. May not be real?

1. I agree to the classified rules and terms of service
No affiliation just saw on Craigslist. Better hurry if u want it. May not be real?

Now there's a potential gamble. Assuming they stayed closed, if wager that has is fine, people get too whiny about gas sitting more than they should.

15 years is a lot of time... not like it sat over the winter season.
If you couldn't use it, getting rid of it would sure be a pain.
For sure. If it was five years old it would be a huge maybe, but fifteen...

Anyone here with a background in chemistry? I sure wouldn't put anything anywhere near that old in my gas tank without knowing how it had changed over that time. I would be curious to know if there was any practical use for it, and how much it had deteriorated chemically.

I can see why they're trying to find someone to take it. It's not cheap to dispose of stuff like that. I just spent about $400 of my employer's money to get rid of less than 300 gallons of used oil, and it will be recycled, reprocessed, and resold. This isn't "used oil" so it may be classed as hazardous waste, or it may be recyclable; I don't know. Either way, it could be very expensive to get rid of if they can't find any takers.

If this is real, and that many drums have really been stored in someone's garage, outbuilding, or anywhere else it shouldn't be, I sure wouldn't want to be their neighbor, or a firefighter responding to their house on fire. :eek:

The Shelf Life of Fuel

The length of time fuel will remain useable in your gas tank is dependent on the fuel type. Regular gasoline has a shelf life of three to six months, while diesel can last up to a year before it begins to degrade

The Shelf Life of Fuel

The length of time fuel will remain useable in your gas tank is dependent on the fuel type. Regular gasoline has a shelf life of three to six months, while diesel can last up to a year before it begins to degrade
I don't buy the 3-6 months thing at all. I've had cars sit much much longer than that.

I don't buy the 3-6 months thing at all. I've had cars sit much much longer than that.
same but it does degrade even if stored properly. it could be used to make diesel. used motor oil and premium fuel can be ran in diesel motor, or if someone has a Multi-fuel Deuce and a half it would be a steal for them. then there is loading full 55 gal drums (330lbs)

Last Edited:
If I was closer, I have a buddy with a liftgate box truck. At worst my mowers and weedeaters would be set for a long time.

Dollartree carries bottles of octane booster and a bottle a tank might help you burn it in that old beater truck someone has.

For sure. If it was five years old it would be a huge maybe, but fifteen...

Anyone here with a background in chemistry? I sure wouldn't put anything anywhere near that old in my gas tank without knowing how it had changed over that time. I would be curious to know if there was any practical use for it, and how much it had deteriorated chemically.

I can see why they're trying to find someone to take it. It's not cheap to dispose of stuff like that. I just spent about $400 of my employer's money to get rid of less than 300 gallons of used oil, and it will be recycled, reprocessed, and resold. This isn't "used oil" so it may be classed as hazardous waste, or it may be recyclable; I don't know. Either way, it could be very expensive to get rid of if they can't find any takers.

If this is real, and that many drums have really been stored in someone's garage, outbuilding, or anywhere else it shouldn't be, I sure wouldn't want to be their neighbor, or a firefighter responding to their house on fire.
Northwest Oils comes and gets ours, usually 400-500 gallons at a time, for like $150. If it is "clean" used oil, I know a guy that would probably come to you and take it for free for his waste oil furnace in his huge machine shop.

About all I can think of it could be used for would be to strain it and blend it with used motor oil for use in an oil furnace. I would guess... with that quantity... it's more likely than not that it was treated with a stabilizer. But on the outside you're only looking at a shelf life of maybe 5 years on the very outside, and not fuel anyone would want to run through anything but a small engine. Like a mower/weed whacker/etc.

15 years is going to be completely broken down and what isn't varnished is going to be too viscous. You'll ruin pumps, and foul up filters, hoses, injectors, et al.

Whatever it's used for or what ever you burn it in... it is going to STINK like nothing you've ever smelled before. Just a few months ago I dropped a trunk tank with about 5-7year old treated fuel and it was friggin nasty!! I couldn't get within 15' of it without gagging and had to use a full on respirator.

A DIY'er type person with an oil furnace would sure be happy with it though. Or... someone motivated enough to properly strain and mix it up could likely make a bit of change selling it off as furnace fuel.

Just to get rid of it, I guess a person could check with local fire departments to see if they might take it off their hands. You "could" mix it 50/50 with used motor oil and dispose of it at your local mechanics shop, but even at 5gal's at a time it would take forever to dispose of 1000gals.

Drop a drum off at a homeless camp? 2 birds with 1 stone kinda deal? :s0140:

The Shelf Life of Fuel

I have gas that is several years old in a 55 gal drum and I have zero problems running it in vehicles, chainsaws, lawn mowers, etc.

YMMV - literally

Now there's a potential gamble. Assuming they stayed closed, if wager that has is fine, people get too whiny about gas sitting more than they should.
I bought a 928 that was stored 20 years in a barn. Started and ran but really rough on the 20 year old gas. Those are fuel injected. I would guess in a sealed container an old carbureated truck would run on it as long as you didn't use the stuff from the bottom of the barrel. Only a guess though. A couple other 928s ran fine on 8-10 year old gas. Just started one not long ago that has been sitting since 2014 and it ran fine (just idling, didn't drive it). It deteriorates but the question is how much and what is the application it's used in. Surprised someone with a yard maintenance business hasn't taken it.

I bought a 928 that was stored 20 years in a barn. Started and ran but really rough on the 20 year old gas. Those are fuel injected. I would guess in a sealed container an old carbureated truck would run on it as long as you didn't use the stuff from the bottom of the barrel. Only a guess though. A couple other 928s ran fine on 8-10 year old gas. Just started one not long ago that has been sitting since 2014 and it ran fine (just idling, didn't drive it). It deteriorates but the question is how much and what is the application it's used in. Surprised someone with a yard maintenance business hasn't taken it.
Not having ethanol in this stuff will help a lot, and my guess is you could *easily* mix it 50/50 with new gasoline and work fine in a general daily car, half your fuel costs, so to speak. But yeah, i wouldn't go pouring in any potential goop at the bottom :)

I've never actually had anything that won't run on old fuel, it usually just becomes perfectly running when asking for performance. If anything, it's related to carb jets getting stuck with some goop.

Members are allowed to ask whatever they want for items posted in the classified sections. If you don't like the price of an item, simply move on. Posting negative comments will result in the revocation of your classified privileges.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top