JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a 10/22 that's more Volquartsen than Ruger at this point. Every time my daughters fire it, it jams. They fire it from a bench on a bipod. When I fire it, it runs perfectly even if I fire it identically. I can't figure out how it fails to feed, and fails to eject when they pull the trigger. The ejector is a Kidd. Trigger is Volquartsen.
The ejector is likely Ruger since it is part of the magazine. Everyone understands you mean extractor. It is a blow back bolt so the extractor should not come into play until the empty case hits the ejector.

Can you better describe the feeding and ejecting problems?

I suspect it is on the ragged edge or reliability and handling by a smaller person is enough to cause an issue. Make sure the chamber is very clean. Crappy ammo will foul up chambers very fast. Use known good ammo with plenty of velocity, such as CCI mini mag. Check to see if the bolt is gouging or hanging up on the next round in the mag. Some Ruger bolts do not have enough radius on the bottom edge and will not ride over the next round smoothly.

I suspect it is on the ragged edge or reliability and handling by a smaller person is enough to cause an issue. ...
He's gotten the same results with a stock 10/22:
BTW, same thing happens with a bone stock 10/22 and an SBR'd 10/22 even when I am actually physically holding the gun to prevent recoil. It is kind of maddening.
This is what lead me in the "user error" direction.

I'd suggest running some Aguila Interceptor FMJ through it.

Those buggers have some power behind them to help sort out if there is some kind of Grip issues like a limp wrist...

The ejector is likely Ruger since it is part of the magazine. Everyone understands you mean extractor. It is a blow back bolt so the extractor should not come into play until the empty case hits the ejector.

Can you better describe the feeding and ejecting problems?

I suspect it is on the ragged edge or reliability and handling by a smaller person is enough to cause an issue. Make sure the chamber is very clean. Crappy ammo will foul up chambers very fast. Use known good ammo with plenty of velocity, such as CCI mini mag. Check to see if the bolt is gouging or hanging up on the next round in the mag. Some Ruger bolts do not have enough radius on the bottom edge and will not ride over the next round smoothly.
The problems are stovepipes, gouging a round to where it won't go in, a singular double feed, and incorrect angle failing to go into the chamber. Not super consistent.

CCI Standards and Geco. The bolt is gouging some rounds they are shooting. Still weird that it only effects the girls. Chamber had less than 5 rounds since detail strip and clean, so I doubt fouling would come into play. Mags were Ruger 25s. I suspect the bolt may be the issue as most of these could be attributed to a rough ride over the mag. Maybe a little limp wristing would throw it past reliability. I promptly ran through 200 rounds trying to make it act up after their issues. No issues at all. Hand it to my daughter and it jams immediately following her shot.

Double feed sounds like a short stroke. Great idea trying different magazines. CCI should be stout enough to fully cycle a slightly misbehaving gun. If it happens more with weaker ammo, I'd be more sure about it short stroking.

If it is reliable for you and not the kids then it is hard to imagine it is not user error of some kind, similar to limp wristing a pistol like others have said.

My G17 has never failed in any way until I brought a handful of pistols for my wife to dial in what she would shoot the best.

Glock did nothing but fail until I corrected a few stance and grip issues and now she almost shoots the thing as well as I do.

Having said that, would a lead sled or some similar setup be within your means? That way if you pull the trigger and it works then it should be the same for them and you have isolated everything but the trigger pull.

Once you have it so it isn't jamming on them then you can work backwards and start adding in one thing at a time until you find the issue.

Just how I would go about it if I was having your problems. Best of luck to you!

PS - or go buy a Henry Lever and they will never have an issue again - dang things are stupid simple and bullet proof. It is actually one of my favorite .22 rifles to shoot after buying it a long time ago because it was a great deal after being a farm truck gun for years to take rabbits.

Have her hold the rifle as she does normally but keep her finger off the trigger. You press the trigger for her. If it jams, then it may be the way she holds the rifle.

If it is reliable for you and not the kids then it is hard to imagine it is not user error of some kind, similar to limp wristing a pistol like others have said.

My G17 has never failed in any way until I brought a handful of pistols for my wife to dial in what she would shoot the best.

Glock did nothing but fail until I corrected a few stance and grip issues and now she almost shoots the thing as well as I do.

Having said that, would a lead sled or some similar setup be within your means? That way if you pull the trigger and it works then it should be the same for them and you have isolated everything but the trigger pull.

Once you have it so it isn't jamming on them then you can work backwards and start adding in one thing at a time until you find the issue.

Just how I would go about it if I was having your problems. Best of luck to you!

PS - or go buy a Henry Lever and they will never have an issue again - dang things are stupid simple and bullet proof. It is actually one of my favorite .22 rifles to shoot after buying it a long time ago because it was a great deal after being a farm truck gun for years to take rabbits.
Have a Henry lever. They like the suppression but it may not be an option. I have an old Winchester pump .22 as well.

And my club has a lead sled I can borrow for free. Good suggestion that I will try.

Upcoming Events

Good News!! The Carson, WA shows are back!!
Carson, WA
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top