JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all,

I am having a bear of a time finding a shop in Vancouver that has a bolt action 10-22 (22 LR). My first rifle was the Marlin Boy Scout special and I was hoping to find one similar to gift to my son on his 10th birthday. There was something about that walnut stock that made it seem more like a grown-up rifle to me at the time.

Fisherman's to Sportsman's Warehouse I'm only seeing composite stock semi-auto rifles, or composite stock Savage or Rugar bolts. Can anyone suggest a shop in Vancouver that sells new, wooden stock bolt action 10-22's?

Thanks all!

First of all Heidland not to be rude but you need to clarify your terminology. All 10/22's are Ruger semi auto rifles so if you want a bolt action it won't be a 10/22.
Now there are several junior bolt action rifles available. The Ruger American Rimfire compact, Marlin and Savage both make one and depending on your budget CZ and Anschutz also. Best bet would be to go online to these websites, get model #'s and info and then price check on websites like GunBroker.com. Once you figure out what you want you can have it ordered through your preferred dealer. You probably want to surprise your son but you might also consider including him in the search, as it could be really fun. Either way thanks for bringing your son along into this excellent adventure. Be Safe.

I think your getting your wording a little jumbled. Ruger makes a model chambered in 22 lr called the 10-22.

You seem to be looking for a simple wood stocked 22lr bolt action rifle.

I am surprised you did not find one looking in the Sportsmans in Vancouver. I used to work at the one in Hillsboro and they had at least 10 different bolt action 22lr models in wood stocks on the shelf. From CZ to Savage and everything in between.

Sadly I too think the Ruger American Rimfire could use a nice walnut stock from factory. I'm still thinking of jumping on one and getting a Boyd's Monte Carlo stock in walnut for it.

Lol. Just as I got done writing that I opened my browser to read up on today's gun stuff and this was the 1st thing up.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438826360.309559.jpg

Bimart and Walmart Usually have the Savage 22lr for a very low price of course I am in Oregon and they have them here at Fred Meyers to. I think the Savage can be purchased right around 140.00 in many places. ( note the Savage 22lr is a pretty good plinker, and pretty accurate right outta the box. We have one around here and its shoot just fine. Sold my 10/22's this year didnt have time for them. Have 22LR ammo just not 22lr time LOL.

There Are models in Bolt Action, that use the 10-22 Magazine, is this what you were refering to?

Personally, I feel it better, to Start with a Single Shot Bolt Action 22, which then can use all the 22 Rimfire variants, from 22CB, 22 shorts 22 Long, and 22 Long Rifle.

Indeed, I love the 22 shorts, and they are quiet when shot through my 22" Winchester Bolt Action Single Shot.

My opinion, again YMMV, even though you can place just One Round in a Magazine, MAGAZINES add an extra, Unnecessary, step in the development of Safe Shooting Practice... And later adding in another rifle with a Magazine, the "one At a Time" has developed a better Marksmanship shooter....

HTH,

philip

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I was able to track down a beautiful Marlin 22mag bolt action. It's now sitting in my gun safe while I search for some ammo o_O. I was going to go with the standard 22LR bolt but I'd have had to special order it...of course, I have to special order the ammo either way so I guess it all works out.

Love my .22wmr for hunting small game but at $15/50 vs $40/500 I will stick with hunting and leave the plinking to the 22lr's.

Sounds like a great gun for a great present!!!!:cool:

I'm late with an opinion here.....

I'd take a look at the shops in Portland, OR. The background check is only $10 (last rifle I bought). And, the selection down there is IMHO...better.

Tax in WA is already 8.4%. Not getting into a discuession about paying it to the WA Tax Collector.

So, the other day I was in Portland looking at Gun Broker. 22LR single shot rifles can be found in their USED rifle section. My intrest was in the neat looking bolt action Romanian trainer in 22LR....about $100. Anyway, you might just want to take a look in OR (if you're interested).

Me, I'd stay away from the 22 Mag. More expensive to shoot and I don't really want another caliber to have to stock up on.

Aloha, Mark

I went with a single shot break action for my sons first gun. Got it at BiMart for like 79.00 and it had a would stock and came with a 410 barrel also.
My 2cents for what it's worth!
Stacy
Ps he still likes to take it out on occasion and he's now 24

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR