JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently acquired a Springfield 03A3 sporter by Remington. I am trying to find a good source with reasonable prices for vintage stock assemblies.
I believe the year of manufacture is 1942 based on the serial number.
I would love to hear from anyone with information to make a good build or how to research the history of this rifle.

By vintage stock assembly, are you saying that you are going to try to restore it to military dress? Or are you looking for a vintage sporter stock?
Boyds and the CMP have reproduction stocks available, including reproduction c-stocks (pistol grip rather than straight wrist).
Ebay and Gunbroker both have multiple choices of original stocks generally.

By vintage stock assembly, are you saying that you are going to try to restore it to military dress? Or are you looking for a vintage sporter stock?
Boyds and the CMP have reproduction stocks available, including reproduction c-stocks (pistol grip rather than straight wrist).
Ebay and Gunbroker both have multiple choices of original stocks generally.

Yes full military. I am struggling with the wide variety of prices, ambiguous quality descriptions and the various metal parts required.
I'm also pretty frugal so finding the best value is important.

Well, unless you have them, you will likely need the following parts:
Stock
Stock Cross-bolts (some stocks have these, others don't)
handguard
handguard clip
buttplate
buttplate screws (x2)
Upper band (with screw)
lower band
lower band swivel
lower band screw
stacking band
stacking swivel
stacking band screw
handguard ring
butt swivel (with screws x2)
lower band spring

Its completely possible that I missed something, and its also possible that something I listed someone else calls a different name. The easiest way to do it would be to find a stock set complete with hardware. It will cost more, but might be easier in the long run. If you decide to piece-meal the project, there are several sources. ODCMP and Boyds (among others) make stock sets. Numrich GPC and Sarco both have parts (and occasionally stocks). I find Numrich's website easier to use, but would check both...

Is it really that easy for dummies like me that have never built a weapon or are you just that skilled? My rifle has the sights and it shot when tested it before the stock finally cracked too far. As for other metal parts, I don't have any of the bands, screws and thing a ma bobs listed on the sarco parts kit. I think it would be very cool to do it but I have a strong respect for no screwing up a gun by tinkering with it.

Find a friend. Pretty sure Bonney Lake is not in the central willamette valley, otherwise I'd be happy to help.

There ar certain things that gunsmith need to do, such as installing and headspacing barrels and refinishing, but installing parts should be doable for you. Just get a parts list and start checking off what you have and what you need. Look at the rifle and it goes together fairly intuitively.

I am a gunsmith with a shop, but would be comfortable recommending a customer undertake parts of this project.

Having restored a few 03's and 03A3's I suggest you get / brorrow a copy of Bropy's book The 1903 Springfield Rifles.
This book will tell you everything you to know about every model and variation of the 03 series of rifles.
By everything I every part , mark , how you put the rifle together / take apart, history of, ammo, cartridge belts etc...
I can not stress how important to have a copy of this book when rebuilding or researching a 03 series rifle
Being on a small gun budget as well , I find that buying the parts I need one piece at a time works out end.
Andy

Last Edited:
As long as your using a non original stock total accuracy and the resulting value won't be there. As I said in the other thread I did a M1903 that had the Butt Plate, Trigger Guard, Magazine, and Bottom Band as well as the complete sights. And buying a Boyds repop stock to modify into what it was supposed to look like (my rifle originally had a finger groove straight stock) I had $250.00 into parts.

Check out Fulton Armory for parts They had some real good prices Ebay is also a good source as long as you know what your looking for.

An original Stock in good condition starts in about the $300.00 range with little if any metal.

When you get down to it just let me know. I've done a few also, and have a few parts stashed.
I don't have a stock, but have everything else needed..;)

03.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads