Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

03 Springfield?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by chainsaw, Mar 28, 2009.

1. chainsaw

chainsaw East side of Or. Active Member

What do you all think about the 03 Springfield?How accurate are they?What do I need to look for if I come across one?I likes the looks of them and I am thinking about a trade for one.

2. pirateer2007

pirateer2007 Spokane Wa Member

In original condition they are great! If it's been sporterized it's still probably a good shooter, just not worth a much.

3. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

I have 2 sporters that I am going to put back to original configuration.

4. probasco

probasco abeaversboro Member

they are reported to be 1000-1600 yard killers. i had 2 but i cant see past 400 yrds. $500-$1200 for decent condition.

5. RickB

RickB Greater Seattle area Member

I have an '03 Mk. 1, and aimed at the belt buckle, it will hit a man way out past Fort Mudge, just as intended. It's an awesome piece of American history.

6. chainsaw

Thank you,just the answer I was looking for.

7. Scrammer

Scrammer SW Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

That was first large caliber I ever fired. I was 14 or 15 and made a heck of an impression.
    I always wanted one of my own.
    always wanted a M-1, M-1a, M-1 Carbine, 4.2 inch mortar, 57mm recoil less rifle. and a ........................etc.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  8. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Moses Lake, WA Active Member

I competed in 1000 yard shooting with one in the late 40s and early 50s. I have hunted with one since the late 40s. Mine will still shoot less than a minute, if my loads are right and I do my job.

Pops

9. fingolfen

fingolfen Oregon Member

The 03 is an amazing rifle - like everyone here says...

I'd love an 03A4 sniper personally but I don't have a mint lying around...

10. ernurse

ernurse molalla oregon Active Member

they still hold the record at camp perry, the o3`s rock on into another century....

11. DSbur

DSbur Vancouver WA Member

I have an 03-A3 with a scant C stock, and other than Lyman 57S peeps fore and aft and some bedding it is under a minute with 52gr 4350 and Sierra 168gr match. I shot out the original 2 groove and now have a new 4 groove, no difference in accuracy at all. 47gr 4064 does well also and 4895 loads are dirty but seem to recoil less.

Did DCM stuff with it way back before we switched to M-1's, then the AR

Wouldn't trade it for anything-

03-A3springfield.jpg

12. chainsaw

I'm trying to find someone to swap an sks with a gob of ammo and accesories,for a 1903 shooter,springfield or a good 03A3.Not having much luck though.

13. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

My cousin has one and he is going to trade for a neighbors sks (no ammo)

i'm going to have to talk to him though as after researching these it probably worth more than his neighbors sks

14. terrylf72

terrylf72 Portland, Oregon, United States Member

I have 1 origenal and 1 ((sporter)dads who passed a year ago July 4th).

The origenal is 1942 war club and looks every bit like it has been through ****. But shoots great. I was thinking of restoring it, but will have to wait. Too many projects right now.

The sporter not sure what year (covered by scope mount) shoots great as well even with the barrel cut down to 19".

15. Jamie6.5

Jamie6.5 Western OR Well-Known Member

I had an 03-A3 that was built to be a light match/heavy hunter. The chamber was THE 1k meter round at the time, the 30-.338.
    It was a sweet shooter, from an accuracy standpoint. I had a couple 3 shot groups @ 200 meters that were literally one ragged hole with 180SMK's. It would push a 200gr SMK to 3kfps with no problem.
    The only problem was it killed on both ends. I think now it was a stock problem that could have been remedied rather cheaply, but it got away from me.
    If anyone knows what happened to the inventory at Valiant Arms (in Eugene) when he went under, I would be grateful to the point of reward.
    That's where it was last. I had left it with him on consignment. Attempts to track it down were finally abandoned.