JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
isnt that finding a limit in travel?
No, it's finding the limit of travel for the erector lens carrier. It's a hard stop. The measurements are the X (windage) and Y (elevation) of the erector. You have that full range of movement. Otherwise, shooters would drive the carriage into the side of the tube externally and cause internal misalignment.

With a 20 MOA base you may not be able to crank it in. Just as you may not be able to crank in 1,000 yards from a flat base.

Im not understanding why a 20moa base would not allow me to zero for a 5in MPBR.
You can zero for a 5" MPBR with a zero or 20MOA base. Just understand that that 5"MPBR is only for the range you figure it out to be, which is typically your position of shooting out to where your drop is ~4".
As the bullet loses velocity, the effect of gravity becomes a much more significant factor in the trajectory calculation. Using a 3" MBPR, anywhere along the bullet path, you're not more than 1.5" out from your line of sight, which means you're still hitting the heart you've aimed for at 240.

With a 20 MOA base you may not be able to crank it in. Just as you may not be able to crank in 1,000 yards from a flat base.
ahhhh, got it now. Were just talking about the nearside end of the range.

I think the consensus here is that I didnt actually need the 20moa base I installed with my scope and caliber. So I should be good either way at whatever zero I want to use.

ahhhh, got it now. Were just talking about the nearside end of the range.

I think the consensus here is that I didnt actually need the 20moa base I installed with my scope and caliber. So I should be good either way at whatever zero I want to use.
LOL. Need / schmeed. Go push the limits of your AI and find out how far you can go before you start to do holdovers. COSSA?

LOL. Need / schmeed. Go push the limits of your AI and find out how far you can go before you start to do holdovers. COSSA?
Im primarily a hunter but am curious about long range shooting. I think it would be fun to learn how to hit a gong way out there.

as I contemplate the tradeoffs between "optical center" and additional elevation Im keeping in mind if I ended up enjoying long range shooting. Currently Im not seeing any advantage other than this subjective "optical center" to go back to the 0moa mounts I removed.

Most shooters never get the value ( I.E. Full utility) out of a -20 base! If your in the top % of shooters who can actually get that far, you shouldn't worry about a fancy base! What most shooters who know the long range game do is to zero to the rifles natural point blank ZERO, as an example, .30/06 generally has a natural point blank range zero of 280 yards, you set that as your starting point, and then dial in your dope to get you to your desired range! 30+MOA should get you there with out a custom base, but if you wanted, you could then add one and re zero!

For what it's worth, I use a ColdShot scope base ( Spendy) which allows me to fine tune my rig to any range while allowing my scope to remain well within it's intended range, so if/when I need to dial up dope, I can ether crank the base, or the scope, this comes into it's own when shooting different loads at long ranges, and I always zero to the rifles Point Blank Zero first as a benchmark to getting the most out of the optic first, then the max range of the Load/Rifle combo. It's a fancier system based on the old Leatherwood design with the advantage of not having to dial range and parallax!

What most shooters who know the long range game do is to zero to the rifles natural point blank ZERO,
Im gathering this from this thread and rolling with it because as Ive noted my primary use is hunting and I wont be hunting long range like 1000yds. I kept the questions based on long range shooting (not hunting) to learn the differences and tradeoffs between the two base options. Im already familiar enough with 0moa bases for hunting.

Short version, my rifle will be set up for hunting and with that I will use to learn long range shooting on the side for the fun of it. Where that new skillset will take me is to be discoverd, but I will only learn more for both disciplines.

Im gathering this from this thread and rolling with it because as Ive noted my primary use is hunting and I wont be hunting long range like 1000yds. I kept the questions based on long range shooting (not hunting) to learn the differences and tradeoffs between the two base options. Im already familiar enough with 0moa bases for hunting.

Short version, my rifle will be set up for hunting and with that I will use to learn long range shooting on the side for the fun of it. Where that new skillset will take me is to be discoverd, but I will only learn more for both disciplines.
Here is where setting Zero to the rifles natural ballistic zero, or point blank range zero will really pay off for you, once you have that zero set, you can shoot to see where you are at shorter ranges, and adjust your hold. most decent scopes these days have MOA stadia above the center for just that reason, and by setting it up that way, you are actually using much more of what that scope has built in, so your 31 MOA becomes closer to 50+!

Here is where setting Zero to the rifles natural ballistic zero, or point blank range zero will really pay off for you, once you have that zero set, you can shoot to see where you are at shorter ranges, and adjust your hold. most decent scopes these days have MOA stadia above the center for just that reason, and by setting it up that way, you are actually using much more of what that scope has built in, so your 31 MOA becomes closer to 50+!
The problem with this is thats not how my scope is designed to be used.

Ive become aware that most all long range shooters are using mil dot or radian scopes with stadia/subtensions marks or mil dot marks, the advice typically assumes anyone asking will follow suit. They don't even need to use a MOA base they can range and hold over all within the scope. Those scopes can also be used for hunting yes...

But its not the scope type I purchased. Mine is designed to use the turret only to dial for drops and windage. It has a zero lock to return to zero afterwards. Its common to zero at 100yds with these scopes as you have the option to temporarily dial for a MPBR zero when the environment suits that. Currently, thats my plan.

Last Edited:
another tangental question here since I have your attention. I want to measure my scope height to use in my ballistic apps. With my calipers I get two dimensions between each end of the bolt to scope. Not much, split it or use the dead center of the bolt or scope?

How do you measure scope height with a 20moa base?

another tangental question here since I have your attention. I want to measure my scope height to use in my ballistic apps. With my calipers I get two dimensions between each end of the bolt to scope. Not much, split it or use the dead center of the bolt or scope?

I put a dot on the wall and line up the muzzle to that dot, then while looking through the scope, reach way out there to the wall and squirm around until I can get a dot to line up with the cross hairs of the scope and then I have a good measurement I can use. You could use fancy lasers and levels and strait edges to get the same results, but I don't have all those things handy, this seems to work well enough with out any complications, and it accounts for the mechanical marriage of scope to rifle, but not a tipped base, that's more then mechanical, now your into complex geometry!

Punch the different values into your ballistic calculator for height over bore, note the impact to your drop table. You will find it doesn't have a significant impact to your firing solution out to 1000 yards. All this to say, your ballistic calculator will help with answering different questions by inputting alternative values so you can see the impact on your firing solution. Now it is worth doing things right since the more accurate your inputs the better data that is output. I only point this out so you have a realistic view of what inputs have minimal vs. significant impacts to your firing solution.

This is the method I commonly utilize (taken from another sight as it is written better than I would do):

Below is a formula to help you be a little more precise when determining sight height.

1.) Measure the bolt diameter and divide it in half.

2.) Measure the scope tube diameter and divide it in half. 1.000" / 2 = 0.500" (for 30mm tubes use 1.181")

3.) Measure the distance from the top of the bolt in the rifle to the bottom of the scope on the rifle.

4.) Add the numbers found in the steps 1-3.

Example: Remington 700 .308 with a Leupold Mark 4 M1 Extended Range Tactical Riflescope, 6.5x20x50mm

1) Bolt diameter .696". .696"/2= .348"

2) Scope tube diameter 30mm 1.181/2= .591"

3) Distance from top of bolt to bottom of scope = .75"

Sight Height = .348" + .591" + .75" = 1.68"

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany