JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just finished the refinishing of my Colt Python. I picked it up last week and did some minor work to it to make it look like new again.

As you can see in the first pic (labeled pic 1); the finish is a bit dull and worn (especially the top which was had the dull finish scratched up and rubbed off), the sights are worn and damaged (the front yellow inset is nicked up), and the grips are very poorly finished (they came that way from Colt). What you cannot see is a host of nicks and some minor damage to the beveled section of the cylinder.

I repaired all the nicks and scratched and the damaged spot on the cylinder. I cannot even tell where the damage was now and I am the one that fixed it. I then garnet blasted the top back to a matte finish (pic 2). I then repaired the grips by sanding them, reshaping the bottom, and giving them a darker stain and a satin finish (pic 3). Then I replaced the sights (pic 4). I was a bit nervous about this since I had to drill the blank replacement sight but it turned out to be super easy. Finally I gave the entire gun a high polish (pic 5).

I must say that in person this gun looks like a brand new gun. It is a bit different due to the altered sights and grips but I think it is a change for the better. :)

PS: The blue and white coloring on the gun is the sky and clouds. I took the pic outside and the polished finish is a bit reflective.

Pic 1
PythonBefore.jpg

Pic 2
Python5.jpg

Pic 3
Python4.jpg

Pic 4
Python3.jpg

I love that shiney stainless finish, even if it is a Colt! :s0114: Just kidding, what do you use to get the stainless so bright? I have a S&W 629 that I want to gleam.
First I buff out the finish with 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper, then I go over it lightly with 0000 synthetic steel wool pads, and finally a spend hours rubbing it lightly with (and then buffing off) Mother' Mag polish.

Mother's Mag polish, I would have never thought of that. I did a S&W 686 for a buddy, and used Flitz and a dremel. It worked really well, but still didn't have that mirror look.

You might try out some industrial scotch bright, It lasts longer and will conform to contours better/easier.
I have some of that and it works pretty good, but I really like the synthetic 0000 steel wool. It comes in pads just like the scotch bright. One of the main things to remember when using either one (and the 600 grit paper) is to keep it wet down with gun oil or 3 in 1 the whole time. :)

I have some of that and it works pretty good, but I really like the synthetic 0000 steel wool. It comes in pads just like the scotch bright. One of the main things to remember when using either one (and the 600 grit paper) is to keep it wet down with gun oil or 3 in 1 the whole time. :)

Next time you do one maybe take some progression pics and post a how to.

Holy Sh&T, you turned that flawed Detonics into a custom gun!!:p

I should have sent you my Para P-13 that was pretty beat up to refinish, rather than sell it like I did. Have you done any other finishes (blueing, parkerizing, duracoat)?

Holy Sh&T, you turned that flawed Detonics into a custom gun!!:p

I should have sent you my Para P-13 that was pretty beat up to refinish, rather than sell it like I did. Have you done any other finishes (blueing, parkerizing, duracoat)?
No, I stick to stainless. Any gun can be repaired in the same way I do my stainless ones and then sent out for refinishing though.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top