JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just gave away my $7500 motorcycle with pull behind trailer as a prep for the following reasons: 1)rode it one day and then spent 3 days in bed with kidney stones from the vibration 2)The young man is fresh out of Seminary and has wanted a bike- I said if he completed the 3 day course I'd give it to him since he's $90,000 on student loans ($45 for him, and another $45 for his wife)

The point being is understanding your physical capabilities- I can't ride anymore. Nobody wanted to buy a 35 year old and yet completely rebuilt CX500C with pull behind trailer. The wife won't ride, I can't ride, so I guess maybe I'll have to consider something like a Suzuki Samurai.

That's a bummer.

I know it's tough to think about, but it's pretty likely that you had kidney stones already, and riding the bike just aggravated it.

Once the kidney stones are passed/removed, you should be able to ride safely again.

If you already gave away the bike then you can't really test that, but if you were interested in a good SHTF bike then look at the Rokon.

http://www.rokon.com/

2 wheel drive bike can pretty much go ANYWHERE. Where regular bikes cannot, and where 4 wheelers also cannot.

The past few days I've been prepping in the following ways: 1: ordered 2 each brand new cases of civilian MRE's for the wife's and my bug out bag. 2:decided not to post any more jokes in the joke section- jokes about humping animals is OK but jokes about wifes is banned several times. 3: Decided to spend less time in here as a result.

Humor is an important survival characteristic, and by selectively banning jokes (which by definition= some kind of pain thats why the German word "Schadenfreude" exists) I also won't be donating when it's time.

I totally feel you there.

I used to post on here quite a bit.

I had about 800 messages pre-upgrade, and about 11 post-upgrade.

Some of it was due to the interface just becoming too cumbersome for me to feel comfortable using it.

The other half of it was due to the overmoderation, bordering on harrassment and definitely biased deleting of posts.

I pretty much stick to this thread only now days.

On a prepping note, I finished my truck's exterior refurbish project and will be rebuilding the carburetor soon!

Getting pretty excited for the AppleSeed event in Ariel, Wa this weekend! Hoping to actually pass the rifleman test!

I totally feel you there.

I used to post on here quite a bit. I had about 800 messages pre-upgrade, and about 11 post-upgrade.

Some of it was due to the interface just becoming too cumbersome for me to feel comfortable using it.

The other half of it was due to the overmoderation, bordering on harrassment and definitely biased deleting of posts. I pretty much stick to this thread only now days.

On a prepping note, I finished my truck's exterior refurbish project and will be rebuilding the carburetor soon!

Getting pretty excited for the AppleSeed event in Ariel, Wa this weekend! Hoping to actually pass the rifleman test!

I read you lima charlie 5 by 5 Jack. But you know? What goes around in life comes around in life- and that's pretty much true for anything! Anyhow- I had ear marked $4500 to replace my Mom's floor in the trailer house, and the contractor did a fantastic job and came in at $2500- with tax included!! Thought I was going to piddle myself with glee!! Then after the wife and I inspected the work and I was STILL very happy while driving home it was like I had been pole axed with a fantastic idea. It was like I could see the whole electronic circuit in front of me, smell the PCB board, like a direct message from God- I told the wife to just keep up and make as many notes as she could- I could decode them later- and for 40 minutes I blathered like an apparent idiot.

Got home, banged out on the keyboard the idea and kept it on MS word for like 2 hours while reviewing my notes and decoding them. Got up this morning, rewrote to clairify them, and just finished sketching them out and ordering the parts from Jameco online to Alpha test the circuit!

I do not believe in "luck". I do however believe in God's providence and guidance.

Every person's job on this planet is to leave it a little better than when they arrived. If this "gadget" passes the Alpha test it should save lives, and save millions of dollars in construction and repair costs.

This will be the culmination of my lifes work. I was musing a few minutes ago- it's 12:15 now- how something so simple can do so much good.

So once I get the prototype built, it's off to one of those "Inventors" companies and see what they can do with it.

Today, is a good day,,,not only that, but I got a counter offer on buying a cabin in the woods my Dad had built back in 1960 today- and it's from a cousins former wife!! WHAT ARE THE ODD'S OF HAVING THAT HAPPEN? 1 in 5 million in Western Washington? 1 in 500 million by the time you add in all the people who could have purchased that property?

I'm going to buy $5 in lottery tickets just because!

Here's another thing I do for "Home Security"

When I was a younger man, I used to keep a can of WD-40 in the hall closet to eliminate those pesky door squeaks (Front door, bedroom door, bathroom door, closet door etc)

I've found these days I just leave the squeaks alone, as each of them prevents silent movement in the house.

I bought a roll of 50 4mil thick drum liner bags. These bags are so large that not only will they fill a drum but they have enough extra length to over lap the top of the drum by several inches which is great for rolling over the lip or bunching up to tie off. The ones I got are food grade liners.

These have many uses that normal trash bags simply are not up to......

Drum lining for long term storage of food or such (Food grade, not pesticide treated like some trash bags are)
Drum or other container lining for water storage (Your big trash bin could augment your water storage)
Make 3 slits and they become long and substantial ponchos
Perfect size for a sleeping bag cover
Winter covers for outdoor furniture/equipment
Body bags for your non prepper neighbors who are lying around stinking up the place. :eek:

Canning fruits and vegetables. Reloading. Putting up firewood. Quarterly check and service of gen set. Checking over archery equipment. Making wine & beer. Planning hunting trips. Though my house is on municipal water, I have a well, and the submersible pump can be run off the gen set. It is good potable water, and I check that system regularly.

I bought a roll of 50 4mil thick drum liner bags. These bags are so large that not only will they fill a drum but they have enough extra length to over lap the top of the drum by several inches which is great for rolling over the lip or bunching up to tie off. The ones I got are food grade liners.

These have many uses that normal trash bags simply are not up to......

Drum lining for long term storage of food or such (Food grade, not pesticide treated like some trash bags are)
Drum or other container lining for water storage (Your big trash bin could augment your water storage)
Make 3 slits and they become long and substantial ponchos
Perfect size for a sleeping bag cover
Winter covers for outdoor furniture/equipment
Body bags for your non prepper neighbors who are lying around stinking up the place. :eek:
what's your source for the bags?

Well last night and todays prep was to force the wife to sit down and make some decisions- which is a hard thing for someone with a stroke to do. The decisions is either 1)Move to Tayhua 2)Move to Arkansas (like we've been planning the past 2 or 3 years) well I've been given an oppertunity to buy a cabin in the woods my Dad had built 60 years ago, and a chance to by the single wide trailer with water, power and septic tank already installed- whats REALLY weird is the seller is,,,,a cousins' ex wife from 30 years ago is now the current owners. WHAT ARE THE ODDS-? I added it all up- must be one in 200 million if not more. I went out and bought $5 in lottery tickets anyway!!.

The wife was crying- "I'll have to sell everything! And move out of this apartment into a small trailer!" I give her this look of disbelief- "Wait, you're saying a 370 foot apartment is larger than a 14 foot wide, 48 foot long mobile home? Are you crazy?" I did the math for her....we're going to travel back up there this week if G-d is willing so she can actually see and observe what she's talking about.

My internet will slow down from 50MPS down to 3MPS. I'll have to build a garage/shop but other than that it'd be kick bubblegum I'd think

Well last night and todays prep was to force the wife to sit down and make some decisions- which is a hard thing for someone with a stroke to do. The decisions is either 1)Move to Tayhua 2)Move to Arkansas (like we've been planning the past 2 or 3 years) well I've been given an oppertunity to buy a cabin in the woods my Dad had built 60 years ago, and a chance to by the single wide trailer with water, power and septic tank already installed- whats REALLY weird is the seller is,,,,a cousins' ex wife from 30 years ago is now the current owners. WHAT ARE THE ODDS-? I added it all up- must be one in 200 million if not more. I went out and bought $5 in lottery tickets anyway!!.

The wife was crying- "I'll have to sell everything! And move out of this apartment into a small trailer!" I give her this look of disbelief- "Wait, you're saying a 370 foot apartment is larger than a 14 foot wide, 48 foot long mobile home? Are you crazy?" I did the math for her....we're going to travel back up there this week if G-d is willing so she can actually see and observe what she's talking about.

My internet will slow down from 50MPS down to 3MPS. I'll have to build a garage/shop but other than that it'd be kick bubblegum I'd think

But, but, but it's Arkansas...:p

I was finally able to find some used mags for a 1980 S&W 39-2 9mm that I first started to learn with at age 4 and still have and use (it's a backup now because of sentimental value - but I could hit anything in my home with it with my eyes closed so it is now ol'reliable). Anyway, I
bought all 4 that I found - thanks to a member on this board!!

I've had people at gun shows literally laugh at me when I enquire about them:oops:.

Found some more ammo for the truck gun in hollow points finally as well.

My GP100 has the older rubber grip with rosewood inserts (that I love) but do not want to risk ruining the wood when I take it out as my backup sidearm for hunting, so I bought a new houge full rubber with finger grooves grip for it. It changes the feel (feels more front heavy) so I'll have to practice with it a bit (I generally shoot a few cylinders with it when I go out to target shoot anyway though).

It's all stainless and rubber now so I'm happy with that for longer hunts.

Also picked up another speed loader for it; not that I think I'll need more then 6 shots of .357 mag but you never know I guess...

Oh, I also discovered that my survival pack's support belt and my favorite suspenders are not a good combination. Felt fine at the house but out in the field after 30 min I was wishing I had a different way to keep my camo pants on. So paracord it is and I'll see how that goes when it cools off again.

Go out and use your gear!;)

Found a military canvas messenger bag on amazon new and the thing is super comfortable to wear and holds hunting or bug out type equipment well. I'll use it for short excursions and keep the 30lb pack for anything further then a mile or two from my car.

Just got around to getting some water stored after the move from SoCal to Reno. We are renting a small house, so most of my stuff is in storage, which freaks me out, but my husband won't make room for it in the garage. So, I grabbed the smaller 7 gallon water jugs that we can also use for camping. They have been dry and one has some kind of funky stuff in the bottom, so I am going to go get a replacement for it today. I went ahead and filled both last night. Shopping for some medical supplies online.

Been a while since I've been on here. Hello everyone :p

Just got around to getting some water stored after the move from SoCal to Reno. We are renting a small house, so most of my stuff is in storage, which freaks me out, but my husband won't make room for it in the garage. So, I grabbed the smaller 7 gallon water jugs that we can also use for camping. They have been dry and one has some kind of funky stuff in the bottom, so I am going to go get a replacement for it today. I went ahead and filled both last night. Shopping for some medical supplies online.

Been a while since I've been on here. Hello everyone :p

Hi Angie, good to see you back! That moving is Heck!

Finished a weekend AppleSeed marksmanship event!

I learned so much about marksmanship, and so many bad habits I have/had. I'm working on fixing them now.

The wife and I went through about 500 rounds of 22lr and 220 rounds of 5.56... it was tough letting go of so many stocked up rounds of ammo, but the lessons and practice were quite worth it!

Yes, it is. Trying to purchase something here, but we only sold part of our ranch in CA and don't quite have the $$ to get what we want until the rest sells. Trying to sell some big items, like tractor, SxS, etc to raise some capital. In the meantime, we are renting a 2 bedroom duplex in the city which makes this country girl very uncomfortable.

We have also registered for a HAM radio 6 week course beginning Oct 1. Super excited about that.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top