JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Elmer's in Tacoma is also really good. UGH, too much talk about good food!....and I'm stuck here where we are having food shortages with the supply line so chow hall has been more "sustenance" than anything else. I am hungry right now but honestly don't even want to go over there since I already know it's going to suck more than it normally does.

I would not worry about corrosion on the coffee grinder. By happenstance I have some beans stored along with a concrete paver and a flat rock that can be rapidly deployed if needed.

Sounds like you should have a "GT" of people. (In the old days of Yahoo Chat, a GT was either "Get Together" real life party or "Group Therapy" depending who you talked to) Elma's good.

If anyone wants to meet I'm in Lakewood, but I'm in a small crappy apartment,,,,=(

Yeah cause everyone that goes to the beaches via hwy 12 drives right by Elma with the world famous Rusty Tractor restaurant!!!!!:cool:

Very Cool, Jim- so we've got it narrowed down to potentially two places. The only thing that separates my wife from Aberdeen and Open Shores I think is a crowbar most of the time.

As far as actual work on prepping (Back to the original topic) I had purchased an ancient telephone magneto to be used for 1)harvesting fish by stunning them for a survival situation and 2)forcing worms to come up from the ground. However, I'm baffled on how to check the connectivity of this critter so I've sent an inquiring email to a guy in Massachusetts who collects and sell's them. I'll keep you posted on what data I get.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well todays Prep came from UPS- the two cases of civilian MRE's arrived. Opened them up and forced the wife to make some decisions on what to eat, what to pack. I told her "One of us has to carry food, the other a firearm with ammo, and one of us the first aid pack". This is one reason why we're "Bugging in"- too much stuff to be gone for any length of time. But if used sparingly, we've got enough food to last 12 days NOT including what's in the pantry or refrigerator.

Ironically we're both on Medifast- prepackaged foods with specific caloric limits. "Himm" I think to myself "I ordered a full months worth for two of us- thats $847 dollars- but the way how it's packaged it'd surely last a year if required". So we've actually got closer to 5, 6 weeks worth.

Tasted the MRE's that were something close to 7 to 9 years old. Not bad (John Wayne Crackers, the dry roasted peanuts only small nibbles) but not willing to take in that many calories while on Medifast and who knows how it'd make a person sick- maybe, maybe not. The military always overstates things by 20% so we're probably good.

Started training my daughters with axe and buckler.they're only six and eight but took to it quit well.
completed their BOB's and updated all our water equiptment .As we approach Bushfire season here in Australia went through our bugout and fire response exercises.purchased an additional 10000 litre water tank for drought season.

Very Cool, Jim- so we've got it narrowed down to potentially two places. The only thing that separates my wife from Aberdeen and Open Shores I think is a crowbar most of the time.

As far as actual work on prepping (Back to the original topic) I had purchased an ancient telephone magneto to be used for 1)harvesting fish by stunning them for a survival situation and 2)forcing worms to come up from the ground. However, I'm baffled on how to check the connectivity of this critter so I've sent an inquiring email to a guy in Massachusetts who collects and sell's them. I'll keep you posted on what data I get.

Just use alligator clips on a VOM and set for voltage. crank and read your output.

However, I'm baffled on how to check the connectivity of this critter so I've sent an inquiring email to a guy in Massachusetts who collects and sell's them. I'll keep you posted on what data I get.

[/QUOTE]

Ooops, I neglected to warn you, set the VOM (volt-ohm-meter) to the highest Volt setting so you don't burn out the meter. :oops:

Registered for a "pistols fundamentals" class to prepare for my CCW class. Hoping to improve my accuracy. The plan is to take a tactical class after the CCW class.

I just had the most wonderful Email in the world! My Daughter who's 29 and I haven't seen since she was 6 months old wants to homestead with the wife and I in Arkansas and do it on 5 of the 20 acres we want to buy! That means access to the grandson's I've never met,,,,,,awesome!

And 4 more hands to work the land,,,,,:D

Carried about 3/4 of a cord of free hardwood stove lengths across the lot and stacked it. A serious accomplishment for this fat old boy! I should have in excess of a cord when all is done. Also, washed and filled 16 one gallon containers of treated water and stacked them in the garage and basement. Cleaning handguns while watching TV.

I just had the most wonderful Email in the world! My Daughter who's 29 and I haven't seen since she was 6 months old wants to homestead with the wife and I in Arkansas and do it on 5 of the 20 acres we want to buy! That means access to the grandson's I've never met,,,,,,awesome!

And 4 more hands to work the land,,,,,:D

Very cool, Trailtrader! Happy for you!

Ran the genset for a few minutes yesterday then turned the fuel supply off and let it run out. Then I filled the tank with gas from the gas can and took that with me on errand running, filled the tank in the small truck and the gas can.

Learned a new prep tip:
store spare pull cord for chain saws! Thanks to having an emergency back-up chain saw I was able to drop several large firs despite the breakdown. This makes 2 cords in 2 years on two saws and it's an absolute show stopper when it happens. BTW 550 Para Cord was too large of diameter to act as a replacement. Also watch this Utube on swapping out cord:

Bought a used Vermont Castings ventless gas heater for supplemental heat in the basement, and if the power goes out. They cost $2000 new. Found on Craigslist for $400.

Now I have a gas range for cooking, and a gas heater. Both require no electricity.

01111_kKo5y25265U_600x450.jpg

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR