JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I knew they are cool, but holy cow they are so cool.
Billy and dusty are Smooth operators

Thanks OH5. Saw this thread, did not pass go, did not collect $200, proceeded directly to my TV and watched it.

I saw them first time at the Salem Armory (Rio Grande Mud tour), pre-beards and pre-Tres Hombres. Then a few more times over the decades. What a great band. - for 50+ years!

Thanks OH5. Saw this thread, did not pass go, did not collect $200, proceeded directly to my TV and watched it.

I saw them first time at the Salem Armory (Rio Grande Mud tour), pre-beards and pre-Tres Hombres. Then a few more times over the decades. What a great band. - for 50+ years!

Another great three piece band that generates a tremendous sound. Billy freely admits.."Man..it has bveen 50 yejars. Same three chords for 50 years man ! "

What was pretty funny was he was on Daryl Halls show a while back and they did there usual jam on ZZ songs. Daryl pretty much had to do no singing, since he has a much higher voice than Billy, and they were just were not going to work together".

I have seen them 10 times or so, would have been great to see them at Sturgis, they are regulars there.

Another great three piece band that generates a tremendous sound. Billy freely admits.."Man..it has bveen 50 yejars. Same three chords for 50 years man ! "

What was pretty funny was he was on Daryl Halls show a while back and they did there usual jam on ZZ songs. Daryl pretty much had to do no singing, since he has a much higher voice than Billy, and they were just were not going to work together".

I have seen them 10 times or so, would have been great to see them at Sturgis, they are regulars there.
Old billy is a smooth customer
Like to hang with those guys

Had no idea they made this. Promptly went and looked and put it in my list to watch. I still listen to their stuff in the drive to work rotation. Saw them in concert in the mid 70's and it was FUN. Damn, I feel old all of a sudden. :s0140:

Picture a ZZ Top concert at the Portland Colosseum and your seat is right next to the 2nd level stage lighting control boards.
After the opening band left the stage, a couple of roadie spot lighting and special effects techs show up with a couple of 1/2 cases of ice cold tall neck beers and they tell you to move your feet over so they can stack the beer next to their switch boards, and you're given specific instructions to hand over an open beer whenever an empty is given back and also to help yourself to a few for your troubles.
The ushers with their flashlights left them alone, even when they lit up a couple of hand rolled doobies.
That was one heck of a concert.

Last Edited:
Picture a ZZ Top concert at the Portland Colosseum and your seat is right next to the 2nd level stage lighting control boards.
After the opening band left the stage, a couple of roadie spot lighting and special effects techs show up with a couple of 1/2 cases of ice cold tall neck beers and they tell you to move your feet over so they can stack the beer next to their switch boards, and your given specific instructions to hand over an open beer whenever an empty is given back and also to help yourself to a few for your troubles.
The ushers with their flashlights left them alone, even when they lit up a couple of hand rolled doobies.
That was one heck of a concert.
When I went to see them I was with a couple guys who had never been to a concert. Huge signs saying NO SMOKING. We were sitting on an isle. I am rolling a joint in my lap. LOT of off duty, in uniform Police walking around. One guy with me freaked out as at this time Pot was still something that would get you locked up. I just kept doing what I was doing and lit the thing. Pointed out over the place at all the clouds of smoke. Said the Cops are not here for us. They are here for anyone causing trouble. The Police ignored us passing around joints for the show. Fun times:D

Billy Gibbons (according to an interview) used to play heavy gauge strings, but switched to Super Slinkys, reportedly 9s, after this encounter with BB King...

"I was about 22 and just starting out with ZZ Top," he says. "I was in the dressing room and BB said to me, 'Can I play your guitar?' I said, 'Sure man.' He strummed it a few times and handed it back to me. He looked at me rather quizzically and said, 'Why you working so hard?' I said, 'What do you mean?' He said, 'Those strings. You got real heavy, heavy strings.' I said, 'Well, isn't that how to get the heavy, heavy sound?' He said, 'No! Don't be working so hard!'

"That was something new! I was mistaken in thinking he was using these extra-heavy strings. I guess he was right there at the beginning when super-light strings were beginning to show up."

Regarding weed at rock concerts back in the day... I attended several dozen shows at the Salem Armory, Memorial Coliseum, Paramount Northwest (both of them) and King Dome. The air was always thick with a cloud of reefer smoke. Even if you didn't partake, if would be hard to see a rock band in the 70s and "not inhale." It was illegal to be sure, but cops seemed more concerned with fights, broken bottles and stuff like that.

Last Edited:
Was in Vegas a couple years ago for a friend's wedding. Staying at the Venetian.

Heading up to the room, we got off the elevator, and in the "common area" (where all the hallways meet) was a little short guy with 3 people wearing "security" shirts, a nice looking gal, and 2 other gals (nothing special about them).

I was walking by not paying too much attention, then he turned around. It was Dusty Hill.

I stopped dead in my tracks and asked if i could shake his hand. His "security" was on my quicker than anything. He told them that it was "ok". We talked for maybe 3 minutes. He asked "is all you wanted was a hand shake?"

I said "I don't have my phone or a camera, nor a piece of paper or writing utensil. So a hand shake is all i got."

He chuckled and said "then for now, a hand shake is all you'll get."

We smiled and i turned and left.

NICE GUY !!!! Seemed VERY down to earth.

His bio says he's 5' 5". I call BS!!!! That is a streeeeetch. Maybe in his boots with a decent sized heal.

Rumor was that Billy GIbbon's was also staying on the same floor, just a different "wing".

Frank Beard was on a different floor.

:s0155::s0155::s0155:

Regarding weed at rock concerts back in the day... I attended several dozen shows at the Salem Armory, Memorial Coliseum, Paramount Northwest (both of them) and King Dome. The air was always thick with a cloud of reefer smoke. Even if you didn't partake, if would be hard to see a rock band in the 70s and "not inhale." It was illegal to be sure, but cops seemed more concerned with fights, broken bottles and stuff like that.

Ted Nugent concert at the Paramount Theater, probably about 78 -79. Ted playing loouuuddd in the Paramount. We were on the floor, buddy had a big bag of so so weed, he would roll, light and pass it. Roll, light and pass it. The smoke level was about 4 feet off the floor. People were passed out in the hall ways and puking in the heads and halls. I had tinitius so fing bad for three days, my ears rang and head hurt. But it was worth it. Pretty wild show.

Back in my not so smart younger days , I had a snub nose .38 in my boot at a Lynyrd Skynyrd concert at the Coliseum, pint of Jack in the other and my girlfriend had about a dozen joints in her bra. Pretty good show. 1977 before the crash. You were the odd man out if you did NOT have a gun, knife or blackjack at a Skynyrd show in those days.

Ted Nugent concert at the Paramount Theater, probably about 78 -79. Ted playing loouuuddd in the Paramount. We were on the floor, buddy had a big bag of so so weed, he would roll, light and pass it. Roll, light and pass it. The smoke level was about 4 feet off the floor. People were passed out in the hall ways and puking in the heads and halls. I had tinitius so fing bad for three days, my ears rang and head hurt. But it was worth it. Pretty wild show.

Back in my not so smart younger days , I had a snub nose .38 in my boot at a Lynyrd Skynyrd concert at the Coliseum, pint of Jack in the other and my girlfriend had about a dozen joints in her bra. Pretty good show. 1977 before the crash. You were the odd man out if you did NOT have a gun, knife or blackjack at a Skynyrd show in those days.
I attended that Skynyrd show as well. Outlaws opened, Montrose had the middle spot and all the guitarists joined LS onstage for a 12-bar blues rocker. Best player there was Steve Gaines - RIP.

I attended that Skynyrd show as well. Outlaws opened, Montrose had the middle spot and all the guitarists joined LS onstage for a 12-bar blues rocker. Best player there was Steve Gaines - RIP.

Nice. It was a great show. Ronnie Montrose was a bit different than the other two but played a awesome set. That was in the height of the Southern Rock bands. That show is in my top ten concerts, and I have over 130 on my list.

Amazing how I cannot find my car keys some days,but I remember the exact make up of that show, my GF had on Levi 501s with a tube top and I drove my 72 Chev Blazer and jumped the curb to get a good parking spot.

After reading this, I jumped on Netflix and typed "ZZ" and nothing mentioning a documentary. :( in fact, only 2 selections came up. Both concerts (somewhere). But no "documentary" or anything similar.

Help a brother out with more info. Please......

:s0069:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads