JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You could and if you attacked me you would be breaking the law. And if you attacked me and I had a gun and defended myself against your attack it would be self defense.

Zimmerman didn't have a "job", and it doesn't matter if he was or was not asked to follow and it really does not matter that he is not a law officer. Anyone can follow anyone simply because they want to. You just can't grasp this fact that Zimmerman commited no crime.
He could have got right up Martin's face and called him every dirty name in the book and it's still no crime.
It becomes a crime when it becomes physical. And we know Martin was getting the best of Zimmerman by the injuries to each. Bashed in skull, broken nose vs scraped knuckles, at least up until the firearm did what it was carried to do. You can't even argue that Zimmerman physically assaulted Martin because there is NO evidence to support it.

If it was true and self evident that Zimmerman did not commit a crime then he would not be having to be brought to trial. Many of us feel different than you and in long run we will see.

James Ruby

I think (and hope) that we all agree on one thing - If GZ is innocent he needs to found innocent, and if guilty he needs to be convicted and punished accordingly.

I think (and hope) that we all agree on one thing - If GZ is innocent he needs to found innocent, and if guilty he needs to be convicted and punished accordingly.

unfortunately he will probably be found guilty so the rioters will be appeased and spare the town from burning

unfortunately he will probably be found guilty so the rioters will be appeased and spare the town from burning

I honestly feel that you are right, and that it will be a heavy consideration of the jurors. And the cops there will have extra men ready and in place before the jurors decision, just watch and see.

If it was true and self evident that Zimmerman did not commit a crime then he would not be having to be brought to trial. Many of us feel different than you and in long run we will see.

James Ruby

Zimmerman would never have been brought to trial if it wasn't for Jackson, Sharpton, the Black Panthers, and NBC news playing the race card on him. Race should have had nothing to do with this incident.

Very interesting read!!!!!

George Zimmerman: Prelude to a shooting | Reuters

"...On February 26, George Zimmerman shot and killed unarmed black teenager Trayvon Martin in what Zimmerman says was self-defense. The furor that ensued has consumed the country and prompted a re-examination of guns, race and self-defense laws enacted in nearly half the United States.

During the time Zimmerman was in hiding, his detractors defined him as a vigilante who had decided Martin was suspicious merely because he was black. After Zimmerman was finally arrested on a charge of second-degree murder more than six weeks after the shooting, prosecutors portrayed him as a violent and angry man who disregarded authority by pursuing the 17-year-old.

But a more nuanced portrait of Zimmerman has emerged from a Reuters investigation into Zimmerman's past and a series of incidents in the community in the months preceding the Martin shooting.

Based on extensive interviews with relatives, friends, neighbors, schoolmates and co-workers of Zimmerman in two states, law enforcement officials, and reviews of court documents and police reports, the story sheds new light on the man at the center of one of the most controversial homicide cases in America.

The 28-year-old insurance-fraud investigator comes from a deeply Catholic background and was taught in his early years to do right by those less fortunate. He was raised in a racially integrated household and himself has black roots through an Afro-Peruvian great-grandfather - the father of the maternal grandmother who helped raise him. ..."

A criminal justice student who aspired to become a judge, Zimmerman also concerned himself with the safety of his neighbors after a series of break-ins committed by young African-American men.

Though civil rights demonstrators have argued Zimmerman should not have prejudged Martin, one black neighbor of the Zimmermans said recent history should be taken into account.

"Let's talk about the elephant in the room. I'm black, OK?" the woman said, declining to be identified because she anticipated backlash due to her race. She leaned in to look a reporter directly in the eyes. "There were black boys robbing houses in this neighborhood," she said. "That's why George was suspicious of Trayvon Martin." ...

Hey folks,

I just posted up the end-of-day wrap-up for day 7 of jury selection in the Zimmerman case, available at Legal Insurrection here: Zimmerman Jury Selection -- Day Seven Wrap-Up.

The biggest news of the day is that the Court's goal of selecting 40 prospective jurors to go on to the next round of full voir dire has been achieved, and Judge Nelson dismissed the jurors who did not make it through the first round of questioning. The lucky winners are:

B12, B29, B35, B37, B51, B61, B7, B72, B76, B86, E13, E22, E28, E40, E54, E6, E73, G14, G29, G47, G63, G66, G81, H18, H29, H35, H6, H69, H7, H81, H86, I19, I24, I33, I44, K80, K95, M75, P67, I5.

We'll be posting a compilation of our notes for each of these 40 in post coming soon.

The announcement of the successful candidate jurors having been announced, we saw a relatively rare appearance by Prosecutor Angela Corey, when she stepped to the front of the court room and directed the courthouse personnel in arranging the chairs for the jurors tomorrow morning.

For all the juicy details, click here: Zimmerman Jury Selection -- Day Seven Wrap-Up.

Tomorrow we'll do another full day of live stream, all-day coverage of day eight of jury selection, the "Full Voir Dire Edition". Be sure to join us.

Best,

Andrew
@LawSelfDefense
Facebook: Law of Self Defense

Based on what I have read Mr Zimmerman is innocent of any crimes, but guilty of bad judgement and is punishment is this "For show" circus of a trial.

Hey folks,

As we’ve been watching the preliminary voir dire of dozens of prospective jurors over the past week or so, we’ve heard innumerable mentions of a “juror questionnaire.”* This is simply a list of questions, agreed to by both parties and the Court, which the jurors are asked to complete in writing before being questioned in voir dire.* Their answers help the Court and parties quickly identify prospective jurors who must be dismissed as a matter of course–for example, if they are related to or have a business interest with one of the parties.

Their answers can also shed a subtle but discerning light on any prejudices they might bring to the trial that could prevent them from serving as a fair and impartial juror.* Some of these questions often seem completely irrelevant to the case at hand–such as, “Please list your 3 favorite TV shows,” or “Please list the 3 people you admire most/least”–but to a skilled jury consultant the responses to these questions can provide a deep insight into the prospective jurors covert prejudices.

The defense has retained the services of a world-class jury consultant, and I have obtained a sample of a jury questionnaire he used in a previous murder case (a rather bizarre one, actually, State v. Durst).* If you’ve never before had the opportunity to see a juror questionnaire, now's your chance, as the court advances the 40 "winning" jurors into the next round of full voir dire.

<broken link removed>​

Enjoy.

Andrew
@LawSelfDefense
Facebook:* Law of Self Defense

Hey folks,

Just FYI, Day 8 of jury selection has just kicked into gear. Our live, all-day coverage can be found at Legal Insurrection here, if you're interested in following along.

At end-of-day yesterday Judge Nelson announced that the Court had achieved its goal of selecting the "top 40" prospective jurors who are to "advance to the next round". The "lucky winners" are:

B7, B12, B29, B35, B37, B51, B61, B72, B76, B86, E6, E13, E22, E28, E40, E54, E73, G14, G29, G47, G63, G66, G81, H6, H7, H18, H29, H35, H69, H81, H86, I5, I19, I24, I33, I44, K80, K95, M75, P67​

We've pulled together a compilation of all our notes on the lucky winners over at Legal Insurrection here: Zimmerman]Jury Selection Profiles- “Top 40&#8243; Advanced to Next Round.

We'll also be doing our usual end-of-day summary of events. I'll drop a brief note when that's up, for folks who are interested.

Andrew
@LawSelfDefense
Facebook]Facebook: Law of Self Defense

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR