JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Life Member NRA here. So despite my frequent and well deserved anger at them, they are the big dog. I support OFF and GOA too. As has been pointed out the individual state organizations fighting local legislation is where the real work is being done. I used used to work the recruiting tables for GOA.

So here is my strategy. Pay NRA for 5 year or life membership so you get to play their whacked voting game and keep their member number up.

Then support GOA and others as you can especially when there is an election coming up.

BUT, most important be your own advocate for RKBA!
1. Take less experienced people to the range.
2. Never trust any politician as once the election is over, they have shown propensity to toss gun rights out as a bargaining chip. Keep on them even after elections.
3. Every time I have managed to get an anti to the range, their animosity to firearms softens and some have even converted. That is where the real work must be done. Consider this a long term education game.

But let's be honest about that service --a few grand in network services plus a couple college interns being paid in coffee and resume padding could do the same thing, and the 10s of millions of dollars left over could bury AGs like Ferguson.
I don't understand your point. Do you think the OFF gets 10s of millions in donations? I seriously doubt it's even two orders of magnitude less... however I just asked them for a link to their latest yearly financial statement.

Great responses

NRA!

What prompted you to be interested in/buy firearms?

I actually got into firearms for personal protection and protecting my family. Due to the whole Covid-19 situation, there has been a spike in harassment and hate crimes against Asian Americans. My mother got harassed and my aunt almost got assaulted when they were out and about, but the final straw for me was hearing about the three children in Texas that were stabbed by some unhinged racist thinking that all Asian Americans fly over to Wuhan, eat bats, lick the handrails, and come back to America to cough on everything because of our secret agenda (seriously guys... it costs exactly $0.00 to not call it the China Flu and make jerkwads think being violent and racist is patriotic). Got trained, got over my flinch, realized I want to get into firearms as a hobby, and decided that everyone has a right to be armed and that most guns laws seriously are arbitrary rights infringements. Would like to educate my friends and community to not give any ground on gun issues and teach them that firearms are tools of necessity.

As far as the groups go, I was pretty impressed with SAF and their list of court cases. Supporting local is an option that I am wanting to explore now too. For the NRA, I will acknowledge that they are a behemoth with great education programs. As of now though, my money will most likely go local and to SAF and maybe GOA. Maybe I'll give money to the NRA in the future, but as of now, Ted Nugent calling Asian culture evil and staying silent on Philando Castile and Breonna Taylor/Kenneth Walker on top of the funding controversy is going to make this a pass for me.

kyle,

Yikes!

Very sorry to read about that kind of horror!!

Yes, do get armed and trained for the mentally challenged are everywhere.

Consider, getting all the family enthused about firearms and acquiring their own.

Good luck!

One of the ranges I belong to, SVRC, voted to allow membership in something other than the NRA as a condition of joining. So, SAF, GOA, and probably one or two other orgs are also on the approved list these days. It's a good sign. I hope that a bit of healthy competition will help clean up the mess that the NRA leadership has gotten themselves into.

Why no mention of the Oregon Firearms Federation (OFF)? I am a supporting member. They seem to be really involved with attempting to block all legislative actions in Salem against the 2nd Amendment. I am also a member of the NRA for better or worse...
Curious myself? OFF will be the first place that list Oregon related legislation.

NRA - first and foremost because they draw just about all the ire of the anti-gun crowd. For that alone, I continue to support them.

GOA -also feared by gun grabbers, but to a lesser degree. They do a lot of legislative work behind the scenes without not much fanfare.

OFF - because there the bigger target of Oregon legislative gun grabbers and Kevin's always in the fight. Love 'em or hate 'em, he's always boots on the ground in Salem, when he's allowed into the Capital.

SAF - because they are also involved with legislation, law suits and appeals behalf of the Second Amendment and individuals as well...

Most of these organizations are of minimal cost $20-$30/year. Small price to pay to have someone on the front lines fighting for your Civil Rights...

(seriously guys... it costs exactly $0.00 to not call it the China Flu and make jerkwads think being violent and racist is patriotic)

My condolences to your family for the actions of the jerkwads. Many diseases are named after the location of their origin and the intent is NOT to create violence toward anyone, but jerkwads will be jerkwads - virus or no virus.

Ted Nugent calling Asian culture evil and staying silent on Philando Castile and Breonna Taylor/Kenneth Walker on top of the funding controversy is going to make this a pass for me.

I would not count out the NRA based on Ted's words; his words are not NRA policy. I'd base my decision on what groups can have the most impact on retaining 2A rights. Support any groups you wish, but for those who can afford it at this critical time in the 2A fight, it would be best to support all of them. We are greatly outnumbered and the stakes are extreme at this time in history. The nuclear exchange (vote) on our rights will occur 2 months from today. Give all you can NOW to pro-2A groups and political candidates in races around the nation. I'm giving to R candidates in tight Senate races in several states - we MUST hold the Senate or it's GAME OVER for our rights. Our side lost big in 2018 - these are dangerous times for the 2A.

Presently:

• The NRA. For all their problems, they are the one that strike fear and loathing in the hearts of the anti-2A crew. Everyone in our household is a member. The two adults have been for some time now.
  • American Suppressor Association (ASA). Niche field but doing great work in normalizing silencer ownership, use in hunting, etc.
  • Oregon Outdoor Council (OOC). They did great work combating anti-freedom crap in Oregon.
To each their own.

What I haven't seen in any of the organizations mentioned is an actual complaint in Federal court of violation of 18USC242 - "Deprivation of Rights". Perhaps there is a Constitution scholar is in our midst who could enlighten me on why a background investigation, for example, is not a deprivation. The country seemed to operate just fine in the 1950's without these investigations.

I joined the NRA 40 years ago and slowly let my membership renewals expire. Wasn't impressed with what I considered to be a huge lack of acting when they needed to.

Also, the NRA over the years has SUPPORTED a ton of anti-gun legislation while caving to 'common sense'. They even supported the banning of open carry in California when the Black Panthers exercised their rights in 1967. Ronald Reagan signed that into law, BTW. In short, the NRA 'compromises' when it thinks it has no other choice. Good luck exercising ANY of your 2A rights while you're in California now, they virtually don't exist, not even for residents.

NRA SUPPORTED:

National Firearms Act of 1934 (NFA, tax stamps, machine guns, SBR's, etc.)
Federal Firearms Act of 1938
The early Dodd Bills
Gun Control Act of 1968

The 2nd Amendment is NOT OPEN FOR COMPROMISE. THAT'S THE PROBLEM.

Any wonder that our 2A rights have eroded the way they have in past decades? Wayne Pierre in general simply isn't the public relations 'face' that any national organization should be using. Who does their marketing? Put Colion Noir at the helm, or 'anyone but Wayne'.

SAF seems to be on the leading cusp of fighting for 2A issues, often when no one else will. The same can be said for GOA. FYI the GOA has just last month filed a challenge to Washington's I-1639 which looks very promising after other actions have failed thus far (they're heading to higher courts on appeal).

Litigation isn't cheap and finding TRUE 2A attorneys that aren't just in it for a paycheck can be a challenge. Listening to the attorney arguing for Peruta in the 9th Circuit was nauseating in his obvious lack of grasp of 2A issues:

Is the NRA best using the funds at hand? I choke at the thought. I can only imagine what SAF or GOA would be doing with similar bankrolls. The NRA needs a PR department that can truly represent our 2A rights in a way that'll en-capture an ignorant populace rather than push them away. They've been getting better but they have light years to cover while making up for such a dismal past of compromise.

Last Edited:
NRA- Flawed but we should keep it alive
SAF-Send them money monthly, great bang for the buck
GOA-Petulant and irritating to anti-gunners

I belong to the NRA and send them emails regularly to change their leadership, but still support them. I also belong to GOA, OFF and OOC (need to send them money, thanks for the reminder).

I have sent money to SAF when 1639 was coming up for a vote and the court fights. I had always assumed that they were more focused on Washington State, but have since learned differently. My donation was to help fight 1639, because what happens in Washington (my birth State) affects Oregon too. I will be joining SAF soon.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top