JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My father used to, albeit on rare occasions, do bowling pin shoots back in the day (1980s). Last year I read a couple books on the topic (Pin Shooting: A Complete Guide, by Mitchell Ota and Hit the White Part by Massad Ayoob) and I find it interesting. This summer, in addition to some other improvements, I am planning on setting up an area on our home range for said type of shooting. I believe one of the local clubs occasionally puts on shoots, so I could participate in such, but if not, the family can enjoy.

Anyway, if you participate in pin shooting events, what are you using? Care to share pics? Thanks. :D

Polished stainless in .38super

series 80.jpg

Great thread idea. I enjoy pin shooting and if you are competing, I highly suggest a pistol that will shoot any load without a hiccup. I like running a good hollow point bullet, like the hornady XTP, so my pin loads are hand loaded ammo. Generally running a little hot, so it will take the pin right off the table with no problem. When shooting pins, usually most places will have 3 divisions:

1. Rimfire
2. Medium bore (up to 40 cal)
3. Big bore (40 cal and up)

When shooting the rimfire event, you will place the pins at the rear edge of the table. The table is generally a sheet of 4'x8' plywood. The medium bore pins will be set halfway, or 2 feet from the back edge. The pins will be set at the front edge of the table for the big bore event. Our club sets the table at 13 yards away.
Here are a few of my tried and true/trusted pin guns. Notice there are no Glocks in this pic....:eek:
9eVCZGw.jpg

The third gen smiths (top 2) are ammo garbage disposals and never have a hiccup or failure of any kind. The 2 on the bottom are Ruger MKII target models. They are very accurate and always go bang...
Op, practice up. If you are interested in shooting pins at my club, shoot me a PM... Good luck with it. It's a blast...

Early 90's on Kodiak Island with a Sig P220 in .45. The local gun range had an annual Ted Stevens bowling pin shot. Ted even showed up. Fun times.

"back in the day" I used a DW .44 Mag 6" VHB ported which worked fairly well for me.

After that, I had a Glock 21 with hybrid comp and some trigger work. It was loud. That was "back in the days" before compensated guns were popular and before .357 SIG/10mm/etc. and everybody would walk over to see what I was shooting because it was so loud.

I have not shot pins in decades, although I hauled around used pins from house to house so I could practice (but rarely did). Not sure if I still have them - might have dumped them in the last move.

Today, I would like to try it with my .460 V and see how the different loads would work - it would be interesting. I know decent .44 mag knocks them off with authority.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top