JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This sounds a lot more like the USPS I'm familiar with!

Maybe in another 3 1/2 years FedEx will find my $4k worth of electric motors that disappeared into thin air.
Keep an eye out for an iPhone 5 while you're at it. Back then Apple used FedEx and I had to file a claim for my shiny new super duper iPhone 5 they lost. :D

and another question, why would the USPS care? Why wouldn't they hand the gun over to the police and let them take it from there?

so if you used an FFL to transfer the gun when you sold it, why arent they contacting that new owner instead?
They can't show that hand without saying they have a national database....this more then likely was traced from ruger to original FFL, no way to trace the second transfer without a database with serial numbers.

They can't show that hand without saying they have a national database....this more then likely was traced from ruger to original FFL, no way to trace the second transfer without a database with serial numbers.
except the second transfer was done thru an FFL.

I hope so. The whole thing sounds sketchy, but I'm not too worried as I sold it years ago and the letter states if I don't claim it they keep it.
Agree it does sound sketchy and odd. Logic says they would contact the last owner on record. But the amount of fuss to do that must mean they either legally have to, or someone wants them to. If in this case someone wants them to they may be fishing for info but that's a real long shot I would think. Imo you are definitively doing the best thing by not trying to claim it.

Reminds me of the time I got a call from an attorney in CA about a car I sold maybe 8? Years prior. The guy wrecked it and ran away. Apparently he never put it in his name in all those years! The DMV from that state contacted me and asked if I wanted to claim it. I told them I sold it many years prior and have no interest in the vehicle. I didn't want my name associated in any way with any kind of crime. Plus I didn't want to spend any time or $ dealing with recovering a wrecked car that was no longer mine.

Edit: I was just thinking they may be simply going down the list of owners, maybe due to some legal or policy requirement. For example they called owner #3 (last registered owner), he made no claim within 1 year, then owner #2, then owner #1 (original owner).

Last Edited:
1670985640117.jpeg

so if you used an FFL to transfer the gun when you sold it, why arent they contacting that new owner instead?
Because a serial search goes from Manufacture to Distributor to LGS to Buyer. To connect the next Buyer or FFL they need you to fill in that blank, or go into another data base of Federal forms. [ one they are not supposed to have].
If you told them you sold to John Doe at xxx FFL , without admitting they had any other data, they could then go to that FFL and audit their records for the next owners name.
Of course that might take another 4 years. DR

Reminds me of the time I got a call from an attorney in CA about a car I sold maybe 8? Years prior. The guy wrecked it and ran away. Apparently he never put it in his name in all those years!
Had the same thing happen with a pickup I sold to a guy from Portland - except he abandoned it somewhere and like you they wanted to know if I wanted it back and I said no. In my case however it was Portland PD that sent me a letter.

If it were me I would be upfront that I had sold the gun, but if they wanted to send it to my FFL I would accept it. Just then remember to claim that $70 on your income tax. you would not want 1 of those 87000 new IRS agents to see that you had skipped the tax. [ In my state of CA the tax would be collected at the FFL]. DR

except the second transfer was done thru an FFL.
Because a serial search goes from Manufacture to Distributor to LGS to Buyer. To connect the next Buyer or FFL they need you to fill in that blank, or go into another data base of Federal forms. [ one they are not supposed to have].
If you told them you sold to John Doe at xxx FFL , without admitting they had any other data, they could then go to that FFL and audit their records for the next owners name.
Of course that might take another 4 years. DR
Exactly. Theoretically, they have to know what FFL to go search; they can't search all of them because they "don't have" gun records in a database. In reality, there are several huge government databases and who knows what data they're keeping in there. Given the lack of transparency and the way the three-letter-people have been colluding with social media companies, I will not be surprised to learn that they've got all kinds of data they aren't supposed to have.

If it were me I would be upfront that I had sold the gun, but if they wanted to send it to my FFL I would accept it. Just then remember to claim that $70 on your income tax. you would not want 1 of those 87000 new IRS agents to see that you had skipped the tax. [ In my state of CA the tax would be collected at the FFL]. DR
Nah. I didn't like it at all when I had it, and honestly it's not worth it to me to file the claim for property they included. I don't want it back. Ever.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews