JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So I just ordered an R9. It will be my first can. I will also be ordering a 556 can in the very near future. I have very limited knowledge at this point but I am trying to figure out mounting options and muzzle devices. What system are people using with the R9?
3 lug and plan b.

How is the t2? I was thinking about getting one of those also.
Ya know man, comparing to to my buddys silencers from other manufacturers I can't tell a difference in sound suppression, quality etc. And I really like the mount, for the money YHM in my opinion is hard to beat, I have zero regrets with all my purchases.

3 lug and plan b.
^^^^^ This man knows what he is talking about. I am not much of a 3-lug guy since I have gone with the all things suppressred and each gun with its own suppressor route. As for the Plan B mounting solution, I think that it is the best solution out there right now, especially when it comes to taper mount options. Plan B is light, secure and adds minimal length.

How is the t2? I was thinking about getting one of those also.
T2 is one of the best bang for the buck options when suppressing 5.56. When looking to suppress 5.56 you should make your decision based on size/weight/hearing safe/attachment method/back pressure/etc.... because 5.56 doesn't suppress well and what I mean is that it doesn't get quite no matter which can you choose. If you are talking about an AR platform you are also going to be battling port pop which is going to impact DB's at the shooter's ear and negate whatever additional sound suppression you are getting at the muzzle.

I run a YHM Turbo T2 on my primary AR carbine using Q plan b for attachment. It is comfortable to shoot in the open without ear pro but if I am running more than a mag through it I am using ear pro. I also have a Rex MG7 in 5.56 and feel it is equal to the YHM Turbo T2 with a slightly different tone that is more appealling to my ears. They are also cheaper if you search around for dealers running a sale and have become my go to can for 5.56 dedicated cans. I also have a YHM Turbo K and it is a great option but not hearing safe for the shooter. The K knocks down the concussion and does a great job for its size. I also find that ear pro is unnecessary if you are 10ft or more from the shooter using the Turbo K which is nice when shooting with a group. It is a great experience when all your shooting buddies shoot suppressed and you can carry on conversations away from the shooting line without ear pro.

The turbo K is likely my next purchase. I love the OG turbo, wish I could get another, but the K looks great and sounds great.

I just put the money down for a YHM R9 as well...I think I am just gonna go the 3-lug route as I would like to interchange between my PCC and my AR-15 16". Is there some reason why I should steer clear of 3-lug?

PCC = CMMG Banshee 300 - 9mm - 5" Barrel w/ 1/2 x 28
AR = PSA PA-15 - 5.56 - 16" Barrel w/ 1/2 x 28

Last Edited:
I just put the money down for a YHM R9 as well...I think I am just gonna go the 3-lug route as I would like to interchange between my PCC and my AR-15 16". Is there some reason why I should steer clear of 3-lug?
Candidly, if the r9 comes with a quick detach muzzle device like their rifle models but in .38 bore, I'd use that. If not, I'd spend the money for a dead air keymo system and buy their micro brake which IS a .38 bore model. They do this for the wolfman. 3 lugs seem to be notorious for wiggling

I didn't go back and read through the thread but I assume when you say you want to run tri-lug on an AR-15 you are referring to one chambered in 5.56. If that is the case, it wouldn't be my choice for the following reasons:

- Tri-lug usually has a negative impact on accuracy which isn't an issue at useful PCC distances but could/would be for rifle caliber distances.
- A short can like the R9 likely doesn't have the largest blast chamber and you are going to hammer the blast baffle with no sacrificial muzzle device running 5.56.
- I would be concerned about what the added pressure from 5.56 would due to the tri-lug mounting system.
- There are better attachments systems in my opinion for this situation.
- I would be worried about whether there was an impact to zero with/without suppressor and also when the can is removed and reattached.

I would run a Plan B mounting system, whether you go with a genuine Q setup or one of the many after market options for Plan B mounts.

Candidly, if the r9 comes with a quick detach muzzle device like their rifle models but in .38 bore, I'd use that. If not, I'd spend the money for a dead air keymo system and buy their micro brake which IS a .38 bore model. They do this for the wolfman. 3 lugs seem to be notorious for wiggling
R9 comes with direct thread 1/2x28 adapater, not the YHM Phantom QD system.

If you plan to go back and forth between those two, go Q or similar mounts.

I'm gonna ask the dumb question as I am not at a PC to do the full research and anyways you all seem to have a HUGE amount of knowledge (THANK YOU).

What is the difference between the Plan B and just direct threading it? I watched a couple videos and it looks like they are just using the two parts to screw them together not some kind of fancy attachment method like some of the other systems. Is it because the Plan B creates a better seal and more durable threads versus just direct thread on to the barrels?

Direct thread is just that and doesn't have a taper in it to assist with retention. A direct thread suppressor can work itself loose from shooting unless you use something like thread locker, o-rings, etc.... to keep it from backing off. Lots of different tricks people use that you can research.

The Plan B system is just a variation on what is referred to as a taper mount. Many manufacturers make some sort of taper mount, Thunder Beast has their CB system, Griffin has Plan A, Dead Air's is Xeno, Q's is Plan B and those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Great article by SilencerShop on various mounting options pros/cons: https://www.silencershop.com/blog/post/direct-thread-quick-attach-suppressors and here is an excerpt from that article on taper mounts: They provide significant surface contact between the suppressor and mount - which acts like a friction lock. As a result, a taper mount suppressor is far less likely to come unscrewed than a true direct thread suppressor.

From my research and watching the market the last three years, Q's Plan B or other aftermarket versions of this system has emerged as the market leader in taper mounts. This is only my opinion but I think the Q Plan B taper mount dimensions will continue to grow in popularity and you will see it become the de facto industry standard like 1.375x24 threads have become the unofficial industry standard for threading of the back of a centerfire suppressor. Not saying the other taper mount systems are bad but I feel they will likely fade away with time. The Q Plan B is the only taper mount system I am aware of being copied in the aftermarket and they say imitation is the best form of flattery. The free market usually has a way of rising the best option of a certain product to the top naturally.

I'm gonna ask the dumb question as I am not at a PC to do the full research and anyways you all seem to have a HUGE amount of knowledge (THANK YOU).

What is the difference between the Plan B and just direct threading it? I watched a couple videos and it looks like they are just using the two parts to screw them together not some kind of fancy attachment method like some of the other systems. Is it because the Plan B creates a better seal and more durable threads versus just direct thread on to the barrels?
Technically there is no real difference. Threads operate of the tensions of a series of tapers. The weight or pull is distributed among the small tapers. That combined with any preset torque tension added makes for a pretty good distribution of force.
1637795989162.jpeg
So Q does this with threads, and a large taper. The large inner taper on the suppressor mount mates with the large one on the muzzle device creating a large surface area. Both the mount and the muzzle device use small threads as well to create even more available tension areas via tapers. The larger taper creates tension when everything heats and expands binding the two together very nicely. The taper also creates a barrier to prevent carbon crud from even reaching the threads.
1637796553997.jpeg
Technically regular threads due this too. But not in a quick detach sort of way.

For my PCC, I am going to mount the suppressor inside the handguard...is there any expectation that the muzzle device for that Plan B would walk out and I'd have to take the handguard off to get at everything?

If I bought one muzzle device for each of my guns...would I end up using a threadlocker type material to semi-permanently mount them?

Thanks all for the help.

For my PCC, I am going to mount the suppressor inside the handguard...is there any expectation that the muzzle device for that Plan B would walk out and I'd have to take the handguard off to get at everything?

If I bought one muzzle device for each of my guns...would I end up using a threadlocker type material to semi-permanently mount them?

Thanks all for the help.
When they can is off, you wouldn't really want to use that gun if the break is fairly far in to the rail. Could cause damage to the rail and or your hand.

Thread lock is beneficial. Red or more permanent like Rocksett. If the manufacturer doesn't recommend it, folks what they say is best. Most have some form of instruction on their mounts. It is in their interest to prevent baffle strikes and such.

Anyone get one?

Silencershop has them in stock for maybe 2 hours since someone saw it in stock at 2am and leaked it to Reddit, before the email even got out that morning to tell folks they were in stock they sold out.

If I get a chance at the next batch, I'll be getting two.
I've got one. Shot it today on my scorpion evo. I would definitely recommend it, especially for an entry level can.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top