JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just received an email from Yahoo! Talking about a class action settlement concerning security breaches which occurred between 2012 and 2016.
Anyone know anything about this?
I remember the news reports about the security breaches and it figures that a class action suit was inevitable, but I've heard nothing about that until this email I received today.
I ask because I'm being directed to fill out a form and am skeptical.
I know scammers are very good these days, at making documents look legit.
I'm just wondering if anyone else has received this and if you know whether or not its legit.
...time was, we used to get this stuff in the mail. I think this is the first time I've received an email concerning a class action lawsuit.

Dean

I would be suspect, email can be shotgunned out all over the place in hopes of hitting some one unsuspecting! If it was legit, they would have mailed you the forms and had a explanation letter along with instructions and such! I would not reply to said email!

Or, you know, you can use the googles to type in "yahoo settlement" and read more than the first 2 links;

How about a network news site, and a highly respected tech reporting site to assuage your fears?

I got one as well but the wife didn't . It does have a video explaining the process via the Superior court of San Jose CA where this suit has been filed. They didn't ask for any confidential information (and I have Life Lock anyway) and they sent me a court confirmation number of my filing. Took about 2 minutes and it looks like the settlement is about $100 for most members. It seems to be based upon those whose info was breached.:s0025:

For whatever it's worth, here's the letter I received. I also added the web-link (for all "hot" links within the email) in red.

To view, CLICK the image. Once it opens, RIGHT-CLICK the image and choose VIEW-IMAGE

Yahoo Breach.png

Mrs. Teflon (because of her work) gets frequent alerts through a single legit source about class action suits for various reasons including data breaches. Many of us here got money from Arco just a month ago. Yahoo is on the list now. It's worth a read.
https://topclassactions.com/category/lawsuit-settlements/open-lawsuit-settlements/

There are caveats in the details. It's not like everyone who had a Yahoo account will simply get money. At a glance, it looks like there might be some reimbursements to Yahoo users who can show out of pocket expenses due to identity theft.

My concern is this. Knowing this is happening, there might be fakes. I would be hesitant to plunge into the first mention of this I find somewhere on Google and dump my personal data into a (POSSIBLY fraudulent) "get your money back from Yahoo" link. ID thieving oxygen bandits are persistent and clever, making fake websites for everything (including DMV, Employment Department, etc. - enter your address, phone and SSN here). For every 1000 people they might pull in, one or two might just become useful, lucrative targets.

Just make sure you're not going to a bunko website. More later, I have to go wire some funds to a kidnapped Saudi princess I met on Facebook.

My concern is this. Knowing this is happening, there might be fakes....Just make sure you're not going to a bunko website. More later, I have to go wire some funds to a kidnapped Saudi princess I met on Facebook.
Hey, I just saved a kidnapped Saudi princess last month!

...who duh thunk it?! ;) :D

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I'll have to look into this a little deeper.
...and...
...Arco? I used their gas all the time! Is that why my truck's broke down?! :mad: ( ;) )

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top