JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking to buy one of these for the ladies,kids and new shooters I take to the club. So I'd like to shoot a round of skeet or so to make sure its the right shotgun. I can host this at TCGC and supply the ammo. I have many other shotguns in every gauge if you care to try something yourself.
Thanks
Craig

Last year I shot around 8-10 cases of ammo at skeet, just to keep my wingshot primed. I have a Beretta 391 in 12 guage, and I would tell you it is a fine field gun, but I would absolutely not recommend it for shooting skeet or trap. The reason is that the gas piston gets very fouled with lots of repetitive shooting and if you don't clean it every time, its functioning will eventually deteriorate, and it can be a real chore to get clean. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. I use an O/U these days for skeet. I would not choose any gas operated shotgun for such a role--they're just too dirty. I would also say shot density with a 20 ga is going to be a challenge for skeet.....especially for a beginner. Just saying.

zeppelin
Thanks for the feedback and experiance. I was thinking of a gas 20 just to keep the recoil at lowest possible level for new shooters. Guess I will also consider an O/U...the good ones are a bit more expensive though.
thanks again

zeppelin
Thanks for the feedback and experiance. I was thinking of a gas 20 just to keep the recoil at lowest possible level for new shooters. Guess I will also consider an O/U...the good ones are a bit more expensive though.
thanks again

Recoil from an over/under will be dramatically more.

There are cleaning products that have come out in recent years that make cleaning gas pistons real easy.

Easiest one is from Slip 2000. Totally non-toxic too, so extremely safe to use. Just let it soak for 15 minutes, and the piston will be all clean. Could not be more easy to do.

Slip 2000 Gas Piston Parts Choke Tube Cleaner Liquid

615785.jpg

Never use a standard cleaning solvent for cleaning your shotgun choke tubes or gas piston. You will struggle to get it clean, and it will take a long time. Specialty products will do a much better job. The cleaning will go much easier and faster. A great spray on cleaner for doing this is from Shooter's Choice:

Shooter's Choice Shotgun Choke Tube Cleaner-Degreaser 12oz Aerosol

679528.jpg

It is toxic, though, so you will want to follow the standard gun cleaning precautions of cleaning in a well ventilated area, and wearing gloves.

If you own and shoot an AR-15, these products also work wonders cleaning AR bolt assemblies real easy too.

Just read the customer reviews on the above two pages, if you don't believe my praise of these products. You will see that others have the same high opinion of them.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top