JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a NAA mini magnum with the foldable grip/holster, looks like a knife or multi-tool when clipped in my pocket. I have to say, I have it with me 95% of the time as my primary carry. I don't carry any extra ammo, a reload with a NAA would be very complicated under fire. Am I going to be able to hold off a platoon of North Korean invaders with this? Probably not. Could I "stop" an armed bad actor within arms distance? Probably so...

Deadly is not the issue here, stopping power is. They may die two days later in intensive care but you're possibly dead on the scene or also in IC because your mousegun did not stop their attack

Deadly is not the issue here, stopping power is. They may die two days later in intensive care but you're possibly dead on the scene or also in IC because your mousegun did not stop their attack

I'll take my chances, if the actor is on drugs he won't stop for my .45 either. Any gun available is now my primary.

There have been some issues here and there, but there are manufacturers looking hard at the .22 Mag right now, Ruger recently had a survey and two of ten or twelve choices (You picked three) were .22 Mag Pistol and a .22 Mag rifle, both semi-auto. I think we will see some innovation here if Ruger steps in. and why shouldn't they with the new .17 Winchester magnum, a rimfire, coming out and the new design may well allow accommodating that round. The current .17 uses the .22 Magnum case also so it might be an extended option. The 10/22 and the Single Six platforms have been Ruger mainstays for years and now they are looking at the more expensive and higher performing rimfires that are still relatively economical to shoot (Compared to center fire rounds of the same capability)

Im thinking small+cheap+auto is a recipe for disaster from the get go unless youve got a genius designer working on it. Adding 22mag into the equation makes it even worse. By the time a manufacturer gets something really good to market they are going to want an equally good price for it. The exceptions to this rule are customization (ex: 10/22) or consumables (ex: laser printers)

Maybe the world has changed but so far there have been no pressures or market for a gun like this that is why glock etc havent made it yet. There are already saturday night specials in 22mag - they havent been a big hit. Ask yourself how they stack up against a PPK-type pistol . . . IMO a PPK is as concealable as anything else.

So if youre thinking of something different from whats already out there, you mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger darling. Toss in a 35+1 round capacity, perfected ergonomics, a flawless record of reliability (10years/100k+ units in circulation), low bore axis, and a "self-cleaning" action. Better than rudimentary sights. Maybe a "compensator" serving as a flash hider. Ease of customization. Quickly getting back on target/on to the next target is this weapon's niche. By this point though the gun no longer has a low sticker price.

But i get the allure. IIRC, in the book World War Z the standard side arm they adopt is a supressed, scoped, semiauto 22mag handgun with 50 round magazines. Uh, yeah. Id buy one.

Im thinking small+cheap+auto is a recipe for disaster from the get go...
I dunno, I think there might be one or two LCP/P38AT owners out there who would disagree with that sentiment :)
What are the 22WMR Saturday Night Specials you're talking about (if you can think of any of the models of hand)? Because that's actually what I've been looking for (a dirt cheap, semi auto 22WMR) - just haven't been able to find any. AMT Automag is about as close as I've found heh..

I've seen a lot of people talking about how .22 mag's not an idea defense choice.. lol, that's kind of picking on the low hanging fruit isn't it? I don't think you'll ever hear anybody argue .22WMR is END-ALL-BE-ALL carry round.. but it's probably better than trying to jab holes in a bad-guy with your index finger.

And TECHNICALLY, I actually never specified "carry gun" in the scenario :D, that's just something people have kind of added on their own (although, in all fairness I guess it was pretty heavily implied heh)

But i get the allure. IIRC, in the book World War Z the standard side arm they adopt is a supressed, scoped, semiauto 22mag handgun with 50 round magazines. Uh, yeah. Id buy one.
I think you just described a suppressed PMR-30 with a scope mount and extended magazine :).. You can even SBR 'em!

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews