JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Would you teach or take a local seminar on reloading?

• Total voters
This is cool! Thanks for the interest.
  1. I'll start assembling a syllabus.
    1. I will post it somewhere that we can all review, edit, suggest edits, etc.
    2. The intention is to have a little lecture and lots of hands-on.
    3. I used to teach lots of seminars so I'm very comfortable in front of people, but I think others talking too is great.
    4. If anyone has a projector (Epson / Toshiba / etc) that would be great. Otherwise, I can bring a 42" flat screen for when we need to show pictures, cartoons (power point slides), or videos.
  2. I can bring all my presses (RCBS Rock Crusher, Lee Classic Cast single stage, and Hornady LnL (barebones)).
  3. I have a dozen or so pair of safety glasses (some not so nice).
  4. I have a few pounds of surplus powder and what I call "throw-away" bullets that we can use to load rifle. Calibers I can bring are 308 Win / 7mm Mag / 223 / 338 Lapua / and a s-ton others. Bunch of pistol too.
  5. I will call Sportsman's and Fisherman's to see if they are open to us having something like this and what the cost might be.
I think once it is more organized and a better plan in place, then it'd be great to schedule the event. In all honesty, organization is probably my least developed skill.

@SKrueger , mighty kind of you to offer your shop. If you would, please let me know what your requirements are for safety and security. Do you need tables? Chairs? Can anyone provide those?

If you're interested in helping teach, and have syllabus suggestions in advance, please PM me.
Jim

I can bring pistol calibers, specifically 9mm and 45 ACP. I'd bring the dies/bullets/powder for my 500 Mag but that gets expensive really quick.

It's fun taking somebody and giving them the basics and a good theoretical knowledge background on reloading.

I've been helped and I've helped quite a few. Some have my phone number if questions arise but after a couple talks and hands on discussions they end up off flying on their own.

Couldn't do a NWFA sponsored event... liability purposes.

One on one as a tutor is the way to go.

(my door is open to reputable members on here if anyone is in this location wanting assistance....)

Last Edited:
It's fun taking somebody and giving them the basics and a good theoretical knowledge background on reloading.

I've been helped and I've helped quite a few. Some have my phone number if questions arise but after a couple talks and hands on discussions they end up off flying on their own.

Couldn't do a NWFA sponsored event... liability purposes.

One on one as a tutor is the way to go.

(my door is open to reputable members on here if anyone is in this location wanting assistance....)

Fair enough. Believe me, I completely understand.
My entire point to doing this is because there are many members here who are deeply knowledgeable in reloading. If possible, I want to help facilitate the transfer of that knowledge. I consider myself a blessed man that so many have shared their deep knowledge at times.
Too many people and companies do not place a value on that, IMO. I think most of us have seen reloading forum posts where we think, "dude, and you still have both eyes and all your fingers?" To me, the overall benefit outweighs the risk.

The plan so far is this:
  1. Develop the Syllabus, and post it on Google Docs.
  2. Once we've settled on the material covered, schedule place / time for the get-togethers.
  3. Follow-up with more as the need arises.
Some have shared their emails with me so I can invite the to the Syllabus development through Google Docs. If you want to be included, please send me your email address. I would prefer more eyes / input than not.

Looking at an April - May date for the first get-together.

Has anyone thought about contacting Clark Rifles to see about possibly doing something in their facilities? Seems like something that would align well with the club. I know it's not exactly the most convenient location, but they've got a good size meeting room up there. Might be worth a shot.

I personally would love some hands on learning. I bought pretty much everything I need two years ago, and then haven't done squat with it. Hoping to start developing a pet hunting load for my 7mm Mag, and get into playing with some stuff for my 300BLK and my pistols eventually as well.

There are regular classes at ARPC offered at very low cost.
They use single stage press for introduction, and offer (or DID) a low cost package including the basic home set up as well.

Given I started on a progressive (sorry to use a political term) press nearly 40 years ago and have never used a single stage, I can't offer any technical insights on the single-stage world.

However, I have loaded everything from 223 to 45-70 and 32 acp to 45LC on a Dillon, I'd be willing to offer a bit of 'seminar insights' to the hobby.

All my stuff is bolted down & not available for transport.
While I would be willing to show how Dillon 550 or 650 works, I would not care to mentor a participant hands-on live-reloads class.

The basics are well discussed in any number of reloading manuals.
re: "Some brass haul shotgun reloading would be neat to see as well!"
I was self-taught with a few regular shotgun shell toadies telling me what to do, using the old MEC 600 loader. Pay attention to direction, read the book, it's hard to screw up much if you remain in low-gear. Learning what the shot shell components do, after a few dozen rounds the process is pretty well established.

It was easy, and served the needs of my Cowboy Action black powder phase really well.

Last Edited:
Please take the poll to see how many are interested in volunteer teaching or learning.
There's a pretty good discussion going on over in Ammunition and Reloading section titled Help Me Get Into Reloading.
It made me think, there are a lot of people here who would love to reload, have the capability, but don't because it requires a pretty good investment in tools and there's a lot to learn.
I thought, if there was a seminar to introduce fellow shooters to reloading, would people come?
I'm talking FREE. Sign up, show up, donate to NWFA, meet some area shooters and reloaders.
The group size would need to be limited, by where we are, and how much equipment volunteer instructors can bring.
Most of my stuff is bolted down, and is actually quite portable. 1" plywood is a remarkable thing.

Sounds like a great idea, I am on the verge of getting started and need a nudge .... Tacoma Olympia Area would be ideal

I'd definitely be interested in attending. I've been looking for a reason to get into it, so here it is! :)

I'm near PDX airport and willing to travel up to 30 miles.

I have a bunch of reloading equipment that belonged to my son. Most of it is in plastic tubs and the tools are painted green(see how much I know...) I imagine there are .223, 5.65, 45 acp dies etc. I would be interested in reloading these calibers plus 7mm mag. 40S&W, maybe 9mm, 357 mag. I have no clue about reloading and the economics.

I have a bunch of reloading equipment that belonged to my son. Most of it is in plastic tubs and the tools are painted green(see how much I know...) I imagine there are .223, 5.65, 45 acp dies etc. I would be interested in reloading these calibers plus 7mm mag. 40S&W, maybe 9mm, 357 mag. I have no clue about reloading and the economics.

It seems you have a large part of the most expensive part of reloading already. What it sounds like you need is somebody who can help you do an inventory and find out what you have and what you still need.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top