JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Would you teach or take a local seminar on reloading?

• Total voters
I daresay that whoever wants to rent the hall mentions that there'll be gunpowder and bullets to make loaded ammunition that said Proprietors will surely bubblegum their pants and not let it happen.....
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
I suppose you could use spent primers to demonstrate primer work.
And something from the pantry could be used to demonstrate powder work.
(I found something called Couscous that looks like it would work)

Wouldn't be near as much fun, but you could still demonstrate all of the steps without the hall owner bubblegumming his pants.

This could be an incredible NWFA event.
There are many things I still have yet to learn. Some brass haul shotgun reloading would be neat to see as well!

My dads cousins in the one of the middle states shoot shotguns every day - either hunting or clays.

I asked my dad about it and he said while they used to reload their own, it is now more expensive to buy the lead then to just bulk order the factory ammo.

Someone may know more about it then that but that was what I got from my dad's family.

Lotta folks don't want to advertise their home location but that's awesome you would be open to that:cool:

It would hope with the group of guys that we have here and a small group it would be safe. Plus they all need to take into account if they return my wife hates people on our property and would shoot first and then ask questions :D

Another thought would be pop ups or not if the day is nice and go to a gravel pit.

Set up tables in a square and have teachers in the middle while students walk around learning the process from start to finish then they could take the 5 rounds or whatever you make and instantly test them in their gun.

You'd learn everything from dead brass to a test shot with one.:rolleyes:

Another thought would be pop ups or not if the day is nice and go to a gravel pit.

Set up tables in a square and have teachers in the middle while students walk around learning the process from start to finish then they could take the 5 rounds or whatever you make and instantly test them in their gun.

Thats a great idea :)

Get there early enough with enough vehicles and you'd have the place to yourself most likely.

Would also give people who may not be saving brass some time to collect a bit before they head out.

Charge a small participation fee to compensate people who bring boolits, primers and powder.

I would also limit it to a handful or less of caliber's to keep things simpler - I thing if you can reload a rifle round then pistol rounds are not as hard (but that's just what I've heard).

Been following that thread "Help me get into reloading", lots of great knowledge being offered there, even for experienced reloaders.

Setting up a class in a public venue sounds like a great idea, perhaps a written syllabus containing all the critical do's and do not's as well as a reloading overview. You know step by step with best practices...

Now for the wet rag part, might also want to consider having those attending sign off on a witnessed liability waiver. Considering injury or death can result from incorrectly reloaded ammunition, liability waivers would seem prudent...

Just sayin'...
We are in total agreement on that.....

This right here may indeed be the best way to go about having a teaching session... Some pop ups, every one brings a lunch, spend some time discussing fundamentals, then go through the process...

Perhaps have a single stage press setup, a torrent press setup and a progressive press setup... Maybe even do shotgun reloading too...

This could be very informative, fun and an opportunity to learn some new techniques as well as make new friends...

This right here may indeed be the best way to go about having a teaching session... Some pop ups, every one brings a lunch, spend some time discussing fundamentals, then go through the process...

Perhaps have a single stage press setup, a torrent press setup and a progressive press setup... Maybe even do shotgun reloading too...

This could be very informative, fun and an opportunity to learn some new techniques as well as make new friends...

I like it!! who's setting this up?:D

I would go to something like that. I may not have the money to get into reloading yet but it is just a matter of time and funds before I get there.

I like it!! who's setting this up?:D

Not me:p

Last Edited:
Please take the poll to see how many are interested in volunteer teaching or learning.
There's a pretty good discussion going on over in Ammunition and Reloading section titled Help Me Get Into Reloading.
It made me think, there are a lot of people here who would love to reload, have the capability, but don't because it requires a pretty good investment in tools and there's a lot to learn.
I thought, if there was a seminar to introduce fellow shooters to reloading, would people come?
I'm talking FREE. Sign up, show up, donate to NWFA, meet some area shooters and reloaders.
The group size would need to be limited, by where we are, and how much equipment volunteer instructors can bring.
Most of my stuff is bolted down, and is actually quite portable. 1" plywood is a remarkable thing.

The Boss Man has given us his blessing - we just need to find a lead organizer and date and give that to Joe Link and he will post it up as a forum event.

Last Edited:
Please take the poll to see how many are interested in volunteer teaching or learning.
There's a pretty good discussion going on over in Ammunition and Reloading section titled Help Me Get Into Reloading.
It made me think, there are a lot of people here who would love to reload, have the capability, but don't because it requires a pretty good investment in tools and there's a lot to learn.
I thought, if there was a seminar to introduce fellow shooters to reloading, would people come?
I'm talking FREE. Sign up, show up, donate to NWFA, meet some area shooters and reloaders.
The group size would need to be limited, by where we are, and how much equipment volunteer instructors can bring.
Most of my stuff is bolted down, and is actually quite portable. 1" plywood is a remarkable thing.
I would love to learn about it as I am only 15 and none of my family reloads.

This is cool! Thanks for the interest.
  1. I'll start assembling a syllabus.
    1. I will post it somewhere that we can all review, edit, suggest edits, etc.
    2. The intention is to have a little lecture and lots of hands-on.
    3. I used to teach lots of seminars so I'm very comfortable in front of people, but I think others talking too is great.
    4. If anyone has a projector (Epson / Toshiba / etc) that would be great. Otherwise, I can bring a 42" flat screen for when we need to show pictures, cartoons (power point slides), or videos.
  2. I can bring all my presses (RCBS Rock Crusher, Lee Classic Cast single stage, and Hornady LnL (barebones)).
  3. I have a dozen or so pair of safety glasses (some not so nice).
  4. I have a few pounds of surplus powder and what I call "throw-away" bullets that we can use to load rifle. Calibers I can bring are 308 Win / 7mm Mag / 223 / 338 Lapua / and a s-ton others. Bunch of pistol too.
  5. I will call Sportsman's and Fisherman's to see if they are open to us having something like this and what the cost might be.
I think once it is more organized and a better plan in place, then it'd be great to schedule the event. In all honesty, organization is probably my least developed skill.

@SKrueger , mighty kind of you to offer your shop. If you would, please let me know what your requirements are for safety and security. Do you need tables? Chairs? Can anyone provide those?

If you're interested in helping teach, and have syllabus suggestions in advance, please PM me.
Jim

3. I used to teach lots of seminars so I'm very comfortable in front of people, but I think others talking too is great.
    4. If anyone has a projector (Epson / Toshiba / etc) that would be great. Otherwise, I can bring a 42" flat screen for when we need to show pictures, cartoons (power point slides), or videos.
  2. I can bring all my presses (RCBS Rock Crusher, Lee Classic Cast single stage, and Hornady LnL (barebones)).
  4. I have a few pounds of surplus powder and what I call "throw-away" bullets that we can use to load rifle. Calibers I can bring are 308 Win / 7mm Mag / 223 / 338 Lapua / and a s-ton others. Bunch of pistol too.
  5. I will call Sportsman's and Fisherman's to see if they are open to us having something like this and what the cost might be.
I think once it is more organized and a better plan in place, then it'd be great to schedule the event. In all honesty, organization is probably my least developed skill.

@SKrueger , mighty kind of you to offer your shop. If you would, please let me know what your requirements are for safety and security. Do you need tables? Chairs? Can anyone provide those?

If you're interested in helping teach, and have syllabus suggestions in advance, please PM me.
Jim

That's sounds great Jim!

Thanks for taking this on.:cool:

Just contact Joe Link when you've got the details nailed down to get it on the event list.;)

We will have to double check that your age isn't an issue. Nothing against young folks but your not legally able to buy ammo yet so we will have to cover the liability issues first.
Oh I completely get it. My dad always makes sure stuff is legal before we do it. He could lose his job by breaking the law.

Oh I completely get it. My dad always makes sure stuff is legal before we do it. He could lose his job by breaking the law.

I'll let the guy setting this up be the contact for this as it's his show;).

Jim

Now for the wet rag part, might also want to consider having those attending sign off on a witnessed liability waiver. Considering injury or death can result from incorrectly reloaded ammunition, liability waivers would seem prudent...

This is an excellent point, and probably the most valuable comment in the entire thread. Teaching a course like this can expose the teacher to a significant potential financial liability if someone is injured by one of their handloads and decides to sue. Even if you win the case the legal fees can be more than most of us could handle. I know because I was in this position during my working days.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top