JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That got me thinking, How easy it would be to take advantage of them, do they have means to protect themselves and their new stash, do they know how to fight, or, can they hold out for very long! Interesting mental game, and an eye opener, as I was soon enough asking my self the same questions, and even though I have made major efforts to protecting what I have, could I actually hold out for long when the SHTF? Interesting thoughts!

As long as their prepper farm has "Gun Free Zone" signs up, there shouldn't be any worries. 😜

My prepping plans involve these people.
This....

I find it a bit humorous at how distraught the young man in the video gets. Like it's some new, deep, dark revelation that someone is going to try to steal from a hard working, law-abiding citizen. He references "The Walking Dead" so I assume he's watched a few episodes, and that show is full of bad people preying on those that have what they want.

The way I look at it, if you just take some time to make sure your prepping includes the possibility of having to repel the bad guys and defend what's yours, you should be OK until things get really chitty. The people that don't take the time for it are going to keep the bad guys fed long enough to keep them from risking coming after you and yours for quite a while.

Yes, it's a real threat.

I was talking to a friend yesterday about this problem. He's a veteran and has more insight into these things than I do. Here are two scenarios that he brought up for discussion.

Scenario 1: A gang of of cutthroats sends a little girl to my door, begging for a meal. My wife and I bring the child in, feed her, and give her a bag of rice and beans to take back to her "family".

Now, the marauders know that we have food - and even have enough to share. They shoot us from a distance, and then come loot our home.

Scenario 2: During the first few weeks of societal collapse, groups of marauders form, killing and looting in the areas near them.

As resources get more and more scarce, these groups start killing each other off. The result is a smaller number of marauding gangs, but now they have honed their skills. They begin to roam further afield, looking for targets.

By the time they're going out into the rural areas, they're very experienced and lethal.

If that kind of group shows up at a little farmhouse like mine, with an old couple trying to defend the place by themselves, they won't have much trouble killing the farmer and his wife.

The only solution, it seems, is to be part of a prepper group in which there are experienced soldiers. The farm can become part of a larger network of preppers, with everyone pitching in to help maintain and defend each other's property.

I hope and pray that the Good Lord will protect us - but I'm also taking steps to do my part in the defense of hearth & home.

One thing that I have not heard much discussion about is the "Official Gang". Those who show up in uniform, and attempt to confiscate food, guns, etc "for the greater good". Maybe they represent a nearby town, or maybe they're feds…. Either way, they will claim to represent the Authorities.

This kind of thing is very difficult for me to consider in depth. I'm basically an old softie - except for those days when I become 'Grumpy Howard'.
Good points all... each of these scenarios played out during the Russian civil war... especially the last, the official gangs, often but not only- representing the bolsheviks- who confiscated whatever they wished especially but not limited to firearms, food, medical supplies. They drafted/press-ganged people into their squads and "armies", leaving families destitute and abandoned.
One problem with studying too much history is that it tends to weigh on the the mind and cause one to question the very value of humanity itself. It's dog eat dog...

People who plan on just taking what they want seem to forget that victims can shoot back. And under total chaos conditions, people will be far less hesitant to shoot back, knowing that no cops will be coming around to ask questions.

I have run into a couple people like that on various survival boards. Typically they get banned after a couple days.

People who plan on just taking what they want seem to forget that victims can shoot back. And under total chaos conditions, people will be far less hesitant to shoot back, knowing that no cops will be coming around to ask questions.

I have run into a couple people like that on various survival boards. Typically they get banned after a couple days.
"...under total chaos conditions, people will be far less hesitant to shoot FIRST, knowing that no cops will be coming around..."
Fixed it for ya.. :s0003:

^^ Unfortunately so true. Personally being a predatory prepper is not me. Don't have the heart.
Apparently I won't have the time to be a predatory prepper. Too many folks seem to think they can help out and use my place as a refuge. Not my preferred situation, tend to be a lone wolf but so long as folks are helping out, we'll figger something out.

Raiders of the Lost Arby's?
Final Mac Attack
1662500909728.png

several thousand feet of 50# fishing line a few hundred treble hooks and some cans. String the line loosely through brush and trees at 7', hang leaders from 12"-24" below main line with treble hooks painted matte black. When the Wolf Viking Raiders are foul hooked to each other by the faces it slows them down!

I can see from the last 10 years or so. Whenever the Occupy "movement" started, the militant wing knew where the boundaries were and continues to respect them, for the most part.

Anything outside the I-5 corridor should remain more or less safe from state sponsored actors. Home grown, local marauders will be something to worry about. But locals should already have a working knowledge of go-no go zones.

Technically, each new development they build around me is more affluent than the last. New builds are over $600k. I'm not sure if that puts me first on the list or last for potential bad guys.

several thousand feet of 50# fishing line a few hundred treble hooks and some cans. String the line loosely through brush and trees at 7', hang leaders from 12"-24" below main line with treble hooks painted matte black. When the Wolf Viking Raiders are foul hooked to each other by the faces it slows them down!
Ouch! That's diabolical!

You forgot the caltrops….

066C5AA0-6D8B-47AD-A844-26C7CA488597.jpeg

Apparently I won't have the time to be a predatory prepper. Too many folks seem to think they can help out and use my place as a refuge. Not my preferred situation, tend to be a lone wolf but so long as folks are helping out, we'll figger something out.
"Help out?" Are they bringing their own food, water, ammo, firearms, toilet paper, batteries, gasoline, tools, and money? Or are they planning to "help out" by contributing "good ideas" while burning up your resources?

"Help out?" Are they bringing their own food, water, ammo, firearms, toilet paper, batteries, gasoline, tools, and money? Or are they planning to "help out" by contributing "good ideas" while burning up your resources?
Haha, like the college grad communes? Whole bunch of people that can fix a bike chain and beat on buckets, not any farmers?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top