JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ah, the old "Herters" that BSA produced for them.
Their no slouch as far as decent rifles go, and there's nothing wrong with them in the least. They were originally based upon the Mauser type action and have quite the following over in Europe.
The one I gave to the neighbors oldest son was actually a real good shooter and weighed around 8 lbs. enough to tame the recoil for the kid, he still has it.
By the way, if you do get it and are trying to figure out how to extract the bolt, open it and pull back about half way. Push back foward a smidge while pushing the trigger foward with the back of your finger, now extract the bolt while keeping the trigger foward.
I know, what?
I just explained in a few seconds what it took me a while to figure out.
This fan dangled inter web thingy sure would have been nice fourty years ago I tell ya!:)

I would try and talk Cabelas down a bit on the price with the angle of buying a scope along with it.
It's already got the scope mounts, so a package deal might get their attention.

Tikka in 30-06 would be my suggestion for an all purpose rifle you will not outgrow. The blued models are reasonably priced as well.

Why buy a foreign made gun from Finland, when one can instead get an American made gun that is both newer in design, and costs less?? The Winchester XPR would seem to have the edge over the Tikka, to me.

If he is going to buy from CDNN, and would prefer to get a nice foreign made rifle, I would recommend the Browning A-Bolt III deal at CDNN. It is only $40 more than the Winchester XPR offer they have, and the rifle would still be $60 less than the BSA Herter's U-9.

The Browning A-Bolt's action and trigger are much nicer than the Tikka T3:

CDNN SPORTS - BROWNING ABOLT III REALTREE XTRA 270 - FIREARMS

original.img.jpg

Last Edited:
Why buy a foreign made gun from Finland, when one can instead get an American made gun that is both newer in design, and costs less?? The Winchester XPR would seem to have the edge over the Tikka, to me.

If he is going to buy from CDNN, and would prefer to get a nice foreign made rifle, I would recommend the Browning A-Bolt III deal at CDNN. It is only $40 more than the Winchester XPR offer they have, and the rifle would still be $60 less than the BSA Herter's U-9.

The Browning A-Bolt's action and trigger are much nicer than the Tikka T3:

CDNN SPORTS - BROWNING ABOLT III REALTREE XTRA 270 - FIREARMS

View attachment 359608

Well first off the xpr is made in Portugal for Winchester who is owned by the Herstal group which is from Belgium and they also own Browning. While the XPR may be cheaper than the Tikka it certainly does not have the proven track record of accuracy and overall quality. It does look like it has been modeled after the Tikka and may prove to be a fine rifle but for now it is just another contender in my eyes. I have owned a couple of Tikkas and shot several others and all had excellent triggers. The browning A bolts and X bolts I have shot and owned have had been mixed bag regarding trigger quality. There are qualities I like about both Tikkas and the Brownings and I would recommend either highly. I would however wait on the XPR until it is fully vetted. Best advice I can give is handle all that fit your criteria and pick the one that fits you best.

Last Edited:
308 is your best bet. Easy to find ammo. Easy to reload if you want to. I am a Savage guy and BiMart has a great price on Savage 11 hunters with nikon scopes. GREAT starter rifle great hunter. Ruger Americans are great too. Good luck and enjoy!

Thanks for all the input, To date I still have not decided. Every time I find one I like... I find another one I like. I did bid on a Weatherby Mark V online but it went to high for me. I saw this in .450 Bushmaster and was hoping to fire up this thread again and get some opinions:
Ruger® American Rifle Ranch Bolt-Action Rifle : Cabela's

not necessarily from Cabelas, I did see it online for $409

thanks

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top