JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey y'all,

Cabelas has the Winchester XPR for $399. I am new to hunting rifles so want to start relatively cheaply. They also had a used 783 for $250 in .30-06 which I almost bought because, well, cheap :)

I was leaning towards .308 with an eye towards deer hunting but have received confusing info as to what is a good caliber. This may be akin to asking about motor oil on my motorcycle forum but I am looking for some feedback on these choices and any suggestions you might have as an alternative.

thanks

doc_simple

.308 or .30-06 will do great for deer and are large enough for Elk if you ever want to venture into that area. I have no experience with the Winchester XPR, but as entry level rifles go, I would get a Ruger American. Have shot one they are nice guns and it seems to me they are the top of the "cheap heap.". They kinda set the standard for great shooting entry level rifles. Remington's quality has had a few hiccups lately that would keep me away from a used 783.

Just my $.02. best of luck.

I shot my first elk with 308 in a sporterized Rumanian army bolt rifle; it's a great round that has many advantages for all size game depending on how you load it up or down.

Been bidding on a weatherby mark v. Hopefully I can get that for a reasonable amount. Will see what happens. Figure I'll at the field for a while as there are so many rifles models to look through. I would like a nicer one but why spend too much for something I won't use to often?

osprey, I have been looking ta the Tikka's. Seems a sound investment. The wood stock weatherby tho... that just gets me fight in the feels. Very Sean Connery James Bondish :)

biezfosheez - that's a big ole hunting round, right? So any brand/make of rifle you reccommend with that?
Cdnnsports.com has them for 379 with an additional $30 rebate. But then you're paying for shipping & transfer. $399 isn't a bad price.

Are you talking about Tikka?

just get a 300WM

Not attempting to be a smart arse here, but why?
I'd suggest an -06 or the .308 that the OP inquired about. Giving that this would be his first hunting rifle, I'm not sure I'd suggest a .300 WM nor a .7mm rem mag (which I'm sure is to come) due to the recoil factor.
The last thing I'd suggest to do is sell him on a caliber that's perhaps going to cause him to develope a flinch or not even enjoy shooting. Yes I have and shoot them (and larger) caliber rifles for elk and bear, but right now he inquired about deer and possibly elk. But then again he just may be capable of handling it, soooo, I could be wrong?

Learning the functional performance of the 308/30-06 class ballistics is a fundamental need of basic hunter gear IMHO. Given all/any caliber choice generates considerable discussion in such circumstance, introduction to a basic known platform seems prudent as the hallmark of 'big game' needs on this continent are defined by comparison to this caliber.

My own needs in the field have been very well satisfied by 308. YMMV.

Well said, the .308 is so close to the -06 that it is really the shooters preference as to which they prefer. And your right on point 41magnum, there's nothing on this continent that cannot be taken with either when the shooter does his part. My 145 lb daughter has taken many elk shooting my .338 WM with 250 grain partitions, but she grew up shooting and knows what she's doing and what she's in for and loves that old thunder pole.
The medium bore magnums are not for those among our ranks that are recoil sensitive and in fact are a liability if one can't consistently keep them in the heart/lungs in my opinion. image.jpg

Wow, that really was like oil. I am not looking for a larger caliber. I can shoot decent and have have fired most. Just looking for the max return hunting deer with fighting minimal force. I like the boom and feeling of firing larger. It's just the surgery I had this winter that is making me a bit timid.

Wow, that really was like oil. I am not looking for a larger caliber. I can shoot decent and have have fired most. Just looking for the max return hunting deer with fighting minimal force. I like the boom and feeling of firing larger. It's just the surgery I had this winter that is making me a bit timid.
Quite honestly if your just looking to deer hunt, I would be looking at the 6.5 family, like a creedmoor or 6.5x55 Swiss. You could go smaller like .257 Roberts or .243.

I shot my first elk with 308 in a sporterized Rumanian army bolt rifle; it's a great round that has many advantages for all size game depending on how you load it up or down.

All true, but there is no necessity to hand load, plenty of loads available from all the manufacturers! I have three .308/7.62N's and would not hesitate to use them on any game in N America. That's, with the provision that I would prefer not to use one for big, bear defense! Good luck with your choice! :)

hehe, I did throw that soft lob over the plate :)

All good info, enough people feel .308 or 06 is good enough and there seems to be a million options so now im just watching gun deals and the classifieds to see what pops up.

speaking of this, what do you guys think about this:

<broken link removed>

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR