JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I've been thinking of getting a smaller home safe to store my pistols and other smaller valuables in. At one point Costco had a Winchester Home Safe with 3.5 cu ft inside in a glossy granite for $300. They have been out of stock for a LOOONG time but they are coming back soon.

I was wondering what you all thought and if anyone has had any experience with them? I can't find or remember which one they are on the Winchester site. The closest I found is: <broken link removed> but that is major price difference to be the one.

Any way give me all your feedback, thanks! :s0155:

Hey Rick like I said above they have been out for some time but trust me they do. They do not sell them online either but I HAVE seen them in the stores.

I was in the oregon city costco and they had quite a few to choose from on saturday(at least 4 different big safes)...my opinion was that they seemed a little light on the construction.I have an american security safe at home...on my door if you push it closed and try to stop it ,the door is so solid that it is quite hard to stop the heavy a$$ door from moving(it is 1/2 inch steel on my door)..The safe at costco looks at least three times thicker but the weight just was not there ..It felt like a light wooden door.but the price was not too bad.

Thank you for the information/thoughts akmewon. For $300 I can't complain. Only thing I am considering now is how to mount my pistol vault on top of the safe? I don't want to drill holes to it...is it stupid to think of using heavy duty magnets...any other ideas?

Normally you drill holes into the wall or items to mount the pistol vault.

Not to be obtuse but are you space limited? For that price you could get a much larger liberty (entry level grade) from Coastal Farm.

I did quite a bit of research before I bought my liberty and I remember the (larger) Winchester safes being very poorly rated. That said the one you linked is 270 pounds! I would suspect someone else (good) is making that particular one but just speculation.

I don't think I helped much but finding someone here that has that model might be tough.

Good luck.

Thank you for the information/thoughts akmewon. For $300 I can't complain. Only thing I am considering now is how to mount my pistol vault on top of the safe? I don't want to drill holes to it...is it stupid to think of using heavy duty magnets...any other ideas?

Normally you drill holes into the wall or items to mount the pistol vault.

I would never use a heavy duty magnet on or around my guns it will magnetize your safe and the firearms in it.

I spoke with Bighorn/Rhino yesterday and found out that Costco weren't listing all the safes correctly. Check Costco.com out now and you'll find the Bighorn 6030 back listed among others which i swear weren't showing yesterday, another Sports Afield and the Cannon Scout etc.

I spoke with Bighorn/Rhino yesterday and found out that Costco weren't listing all the safes correctly. Check Costco.com out now and you'll find the Bighorn 6030 back listed among others which i swear weren't showing yesterday, another Sports Afield and the Cannon Scout etc.

yea Costco doesn't do a good job on listings for safes and a Costco Special Order Rep confirmed that. he said they usually carry whatever manufacture that gives them the best deal on safes. recently it was safelite...ugg.

Just like shotlock which you will find on their site (ShotLock Universal Solo Vault Safe) but not at the stores.

Yeah, which is fairly normal for them and their bulk stuff, but this one was a little weird as it was supposed to be showing, the manufacturer was still supplying them, but no one could order :(

I was in the oregon city costco and they had quite a few to choose from on saturday(at least 4 different big safes)...my opinion was that they seemed a little light on the construction.I have an american security safe at home...on my door if you push it closed and try to stop it ,the door is so solid that it is quite hard to stop the heavy a$$ door from moving(it is 1/2 inch steel on my door)..The safe at costco looks at least three times thicker but the weight just was not there ..It felt like a light wooden door.but the price was not too bad.

Ahhh, there is no Costco in Oregon City. Maybe Costal Farm Supply by Fisherman's Marine Supply?

Probably meant Clackamas

I am guessing Costal....

Disregard this.....my damn phone is not worth using to post. Regardless my whole guess of Coastal over Costco was based on the box stores not carrying the safes. However I remember they did have a special showing of safes at the stores a while back so they could be there again.

Yeah, fire protection is a good idea, big is good too.

Costco don't sell them in their stores, they're online only, but any customer returns to the stores will end up in a store.

When buying one of those just realize that you are buying a storage locker and not a safe.
Don't be fooled by thick doors, most are thin sheet of metal and bunch of filler. Look for the magic word "composite".
Even if they do put a decent amount of steel in the door, the real weakness are the sides and back.

To top it off most are made in China and use a pretty mild steel.

They work great to keep smash and grabbers from taking your stuff, but too many people develop an overestimated sense of secure.

Right, i've been hitting the info on safes pretty hard of late, and mostly everything under $1000 is Chinese made. 14 gauge from about $400 and you can hit 12 and 11 gauge closer to the $1000 mark.

On that basis, it will cover most of us when it comes to getting a safe. Beware of people saying cabinet/safe, as above, however, cabinet is limited to the open sashes inside the door, Grunwald, they're still safes once they go to proper bolts/enclosed doors, fireproofing etc. They're just easier to break into that a bank vault.

All safes can be broken into, it's just a time and convenience thing, the more you spend, the longer it will take. Obviously the longer it takes, the less people are likely to keep trying to get in, the more difficultly you can position your safe/hide it from even being found, the better your security.

With all that in mind, some of use just need the security of a gun cabinet, theft isn't so much an issue, as unwanted eyes/hands of kids and/or people you just don't want on your goods, so at that point, capacity and fireproofing are normally the priority.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top