JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've always wanted a lever action rifle because, who doesn't right? I knew I was inheriting a Ducks Unlimited Marlin Papoose, but the Winchester was a surprise.

Manufacture date is 1943-1948. It's been sitting forever so I'm going to clean it and get it checked out before I shoot it.

Now I just need to find some ammo that's not going to cost a fortune.

IMG_1093.jpeg

I got my Grandmas 32 special in 1971. Started reloading for it in 1973.
Because they cost $5.00 for a box of 20.
Hope you enjoy yours for many years.

Very nice! Make a good white-tail rifle... Actually I know someone who uses a .32 Win to hunt in western Colorado, not my idea of an elk rifle, but there it is. Bullet size is actually an 8mm and power is almost up there with the .30-40 Krag so I'm told.. In the past, shot-out .30-30's would sometimes be bored-out to .32 Win instead of rebarreling. A "reloader special" if you want to shoot it much.

Last Edited:
Very nice! Looks like someone added a peep sight and a recoil pad. Learn to use the peep sight and you'll be surprised at the accuracy you can get.
I've got a '54 vintage 94 in 32 that was handed down from my dad. First 'high' powered rifle I ever shot and it'll be the last to leave my hands.
Congrats!

I have a hard time understanding how a Win 30-30 case can hold the same amount of powder as the MUCH larger 30-40 Krag case. When the only difference between 30-30 and 32 spl is the Neck size. I can safely load 30-40Krag for use in my Model 1895 Winchester to within 50fps of a .308 load because the cases are about the same volume and the model 1895 is a very strong action.

Nice Carbine you have there OP.

As far as ammo that doesn't cost a fortune....
Those days are over.
Never thought I'd see the day when rounds like .32 Winchester Special or .30-30 for that matter would cost over a dollar a round ..
Or even not be found on shelves for any price.
Andy

I've always wanted a lever action rifle because, who doesn't right? I knew I was inheriting a Ducks Unlimited Marlin Papoose, but the Winchester was a surprise.

Manufacture date is 1943-1948. It's been sitting forever so I'm going to clean it and get it checked out before I shoot it.

Now I just need to find some ammo that's not going to cost a fortune.

View attachment 1767347
Congratulations! I just LOVE my Winchester 94 in .30-30. Manufactured Jan 1942. I can help with the date on yours. Narrow it down some. Winchester didn't make any '94s 1943-1945 due to manufacturing for WWII. And serial numbers a wonkey until, after 1947 If I recall right. So you may never know the month your gun was made.
Do yourself a favor and register as a guest at the "Winchester Arms Collectors Association"
https://winchestercollector.org/forum/

Bert H. on that site is arguably the most knowledgeable of these rifles of anyone anywhere.

Looks like $2.25 a round.
Looks like time to start reloading? There are videos of sizing .30-30 brass to .32 Win special.

Another suggestion for @susan is to start going to the local "Collectors" shows looking for .32 Win Sp brass. there are vendors at our local Oregon Arms collectors shows that that buy estates and I frequently see old, no longer made/difficult to come by, brass cases.

I got my 1st coast blacktail with my grandpa's 32Win Special in the late '80's.
I got fancier guns now, but that old Winchester will still do the trick.
Mine will go to my niece or nephews when the time comes. Along with all my cartridges & reloading supplies for it.
A gun that was made to be handed down.

@susan, not to doubt your ability to verify things, but don't forget; there were two chamberings of .32 caliber in the Model 1894. They were the 32-40 and the 32 Winchester Special. Just make sure you are feeding that historic piece with the right fodder. And best of luck in locating suitable ammo.

Very nice! Looks like someone added a peep sight and a recoil pad. Learn to use the peep sight and you'll be surprised at the accuracy you can get.
I've got a '54 vintage 94 in 32 that was handed down from my dad. First 'high' powered rifle I ever shot and it'll be the last to leave my hands.
Congrats!
I've never shot anything with a peep sight, but just checking it out, I can see how it could make for really accurate shooting.

@susan, not to doubt your ability to verify things, but don't forget; there were two chamberings of .32 caliber in the Model 1894. They were the 32-40 and the 32 Winchester Special. Just make sure you are feeding that historic piece with the right fodder. And best of luck in locating suitable ammo.
I appreciate you mentioning this as I didn't know there were two different 32's. This one is a 32 Winchester Special.

IMG_1103.jpeg

Congratulations! I just LOVE my Winchester 94 in .30-30. Manufactured Jan 1942. I can help with the date on yours. Narrow it down some. Winchester didn't make any '94s 1943-1945 due to manufacturing for WWII. And serial numbers a wonkey until, after 1947 If I recall right. So you may never know the month your gun was made.
Do yourself a favor and register as a guest at the "Winchester Arms Collectors Association"
https://winchestercollector.org/forum/

Bert H. on that site is arguably the most knowledgeable of these rifles of anyone anywhere.
I just sent you a PM with more info on my gun. I'll also register for the Winchester site. Thanks the suggestion.

I just went to the site. Didn't realize it would be so easy to get the manufacture date. It has a 1942 manufacture date.
My rifle is 2,897 earlier than yours. Pretty dang cool!
There are dating sites (Winchester rifles) out and around that are incorrect though. I put my rifle at late December '41 or early January '42 by comparing rifles in Bert H', survey on the WACA site.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top