JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
About five years ago my Dad gave me a pretty worn Winchester 1897. He got it from my uncle and is not a gun guy so I was the natural choice to take it off his hands. It had a rusted barrel, chipped stock, and tons of dings and dents. Luckily the blueing was still pretty nice.

I saw a thread on The High Road around the same time that inspired my to do this conversion. I've always been a history buff and also grew up playing Call of Duty and Battlefield, where this thing became an icon to me. I sourced the heat shield and mag plug from Numrich and and called around until I found a gunsmith who would take the project (oddly a lot wouldn't for some reason). Brendan at Columbia Gunsmithing was excited to take it on. After a few weeks he called me in to pick it up. I think it turned out pretty awesome!

IMG_20200125_120243.jpg IMG_20200125_120206.jpg IMG_20200125_120304.jpg IMG_20200125_120252.jpg

Turned out very nice. Brendan doesn't great work.
local gunsmiths wouldn't take this job on? Really...wow
That part struck me as odd too. Not a Smith but I would have to think any who were would love to have a task like this handed to them. Maybe some who call themselves Smith but were afraid of something this old?? Very odd indeed but glad he found one to give this thing new life. I had a commercial model of this when I was a kid. Bought at a local hardware store. Beat up but worked great and it was cheap back then. What I would give to have it back now :eek::eek:

Thanks for the comments everybody. As for the gunsmiths who turned it down, one said he wouldn't chop the barrel "and destroy a classic", one told me I probably got the wrong parts and dadsplained me a bit, and one never returned my call/email.

@Velzey None of these were Copeland. I've heard good things about you guys on here, but Estacada is almost an hour from my house. Brendan was intrigued by the project and was great to work with!
@jbett98 Not yet, but I plan on it at least once or twice!

I will cut or drill anything for money! ,)

Thanks for the comments everybody. As for the gunsmiths who turned it down, one said he wouldn't chop the barrel "and destroy a classic", one told me I probably got the wrong parts and dadsplained me a bit, and one never returned my call/email.

@Velzey None of these were Copeland. I've heard good things about you guys on here, but Estacada is almost an hour from my house. Brendan was intrigued by the project and was great to work with!
@jbett98 Not yet, but I plan on it at least once or twice!

Really nice gun. Like @Andy54Hawken said, there's something very gratifying about reviving an old gun. I did two, well, neither is actually "finished", earlier this year. Slam fire or not, I'd shoot this baby. It's a very nice, old version of my favorite style of shotgun.

This day and age allot of folks call themselves gunsmiths but only work on AR-15's, Glock, Sigs etc etc. anything old and cool they need a safe space
To me that would be an armorer. It's like a mechanic compared to a machinist.

Very nice, indeed.
Spreading love to good 'smiths.
local gunsmiths wouldn't take this job on? Really...wow
@Velzey, there are gunsmith a such as yourself, and there are gunsmiths like the one whose work I had you repair. I still chuckle at what you said, "give me his name so I can go take his tools away."
Estacada is almost an hour
and worth every minute of the drive.

Had a fellow the other day say, ok see you in about 4 hours..oh ok
He was driving up from Grants Pass ‍♂️

Very nice, indeed.
Spreading love to good 'smiths.

@Velzey, there are gunsmith a such as yourself, and there are gunsmiths like the one whose work I had you repair. I still chuckle at what you said, "give me his name so I can go take his tools away."
and worth every minute of the drive.