JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When it is dry like this I have moderate fire danger - especially when there is slash pile burning in the middle of the summer less than a mile away. :rolleyes:

IMG_0018.JPG

But the woods are still not that dry here - they will get drier as the summer goes on. I spent the first week of July dozing around my my house - removing brush and a few trees. Right now there is almost no brush or debris on the ground within a few hundred feet of the house. The primary purpose was to smooth out the ground so I could keep the brush knocked down easier and to make it look better for when I sell in a few years - but that is all tied in with mediation of fire danger too.

My next place I am thinking I want to make a pond for storing water for fire protection.

When it is dry like this I have moderate fire danger - especially when there is slash pile burning in the middle of the summer less than a mile away. :rolleyes:

View attachment 377098

But the woods are still not that dry here - they will get drier as the summer goes on. I spent the first week of July dozing around my my house - removing brush and a few trees. Right now there is almost no brush or debris on the ground within a few hundred feet of the house. The primary purpose was to smooth out the ground so I could keep the brush knocked down easier and to make it look better for when I sell in a few years - but that is all tied in with mediation of fire danger too.

My next place I am thinking I want to make a pond for storing water for fire protection.
Better find a place with a pond all ready on it as big brother probably wouldn't let you build one
:confused:

The other thing I will do is have a large (1k gal) tank that I would mix fire retardant into on demand with a pump for high pressure.

Beyond that, if possible, the first building I will put on the property with be an earth bermed shop with a small residence. This should mitigate fire danger to the residence itself as generally earth does not burn very well.

It's pretty smokey where I'm at. Luckily I don't live in the wilderness so this kind of thing is unlikely to affect me. Well, I would LIKE to live in the wilderness to be done with my retarded liberal neighbors, but now is not the time.

The fires up north and to the west are sending their farts our way. We've been shrouded in smoke for the last week or so, though it's high enough that we can't smell it. The air quality in the Spokane area currently is "unhealthy" according to authorities, and it's been sweltering hot for over two weeks (in the 90's every day with little or no breeze).

I'm actually getting kind of used to the heat, which surprises me as I was born and raised in the Seattle area, but 30+ years over here and I'm finally adapting… sort of. What I can't tolerate is the crushing sameness of each day. I get the same way in February when we're socked in fog for weeks on end.

I want a little variety in the weather, just so I can switch my complaint patterns.

And, yeah, I'm on pins and needles every year at this time. Living out in the dry woods is nerve wracking in August and early September until the rains finally come. I have to get as much done with brush and tree maintenance in April - June because once the heat hits, I can't even run a brush mower or chainsaw for fear of starting something.

We have a student staying with us from Beijing...she hasn't noticed the brown air at all, when I mentioned it she had no idea what I was talking about. Seemed like fresh air to her.

Once the smoke clears, she'll probably start coughing, being unused to clean air.

This stuff is part of why, with the GF unable to have kids, I've been starting to think that for a Powerball Win List residence it might be better to skip buying/building a house and just buy a property and an RV instead, with utility hookups on the parking pad.

Time comes to rabbit due to inbound fire or storm, just disconnect umbilicals, start engine and roll out.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top