JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There was a test done of return to zero and durability of folding backup sights, including Larue, troy, DD, etc, and the mbus was the most durable and resistant to impact. I will try to find a link.

Well, I put a Fab Defense PTK angled foregrip as well as one of their grips on my almost complete PSA 9mm AR build. I have to say I like the Fab Defense grip - it's different than the Magpul MOE+ that I really like, but so far, I really like the feel in my hand. We'll see how it does under live fire.

LMT is also an American company, as are Colt, Barrett, Noveske and many others. Other than the P-mags most of Magpul's accessories just feel & look cheap. Plastic should not be that different in texture & feel. An example: Mercedes, BMW, Toyota & Honda interior plastics look and feel higher quality than my GMC Sierra and my buddy's Ram, go figure. To each his own I guess, I qualified rifle with a M14 & pistol w/ a 1911A1 as a Midshipmen the mid '80s (UW NROTC class of '86). I still have my 870 riot gun w/ a wood stock. Must just be a middle aged grey hair that just doesn't kneel & salivate at the Magpul alter.
You keep saying "looks and feels cheap" with really furthering the conversation. For one thing, Magpul doesn't use plastic so I don't know why you keep saying it. It is a polymer composite which more closely resembles a fabric.

I don't see the point of this thread.

There is quite a bit of chinese knock off, and airsoft "magpul" stuff littering the market, and there's Magpul PTS line that's made over seas from a different polymer so they can legally import/export it for training with simunition and the like. They feel quite a bit cheaper, maybe the OP was sold one of those...
MBus stands for Magpul Backup sight... BACK-UP.
Meant primarily to remain folded down and out of the way but functional enough that if your main optic fails, or the battery dies, you can stay in the fight. Akin to the 12" donut tire in the trunk. You wouldn't put em on your car and go out street racing, but if you get a flat, it will get you home. and its compact and out of the way so you can still use your trunk.
If I were using irons for my main method of target aquisition, I'd go with good ol fixed A2s.

Magpul was the OG when it comes to Ar customization. The first thing I bought for my first AR was a MOE handguard and grip.
I'm still waiting for them to release furniture in the sand color so I can use rit dye and custom color them.

There is quite a bit of chinese knock off, and airsoft "magpul" stuff littering the market, and there's Magpul PTS line that's made over seas from a different polymer so they can legally import/export it for training with simunition and the like. They feel quite a bit cheaper, maybe the OP was sold one of those...
MBus stands for Magpul Backup sight... BACK-UP.
Meant primarily to remain folded down and out of the way but functional enough that if your main optic fails, or the battery dies, you can stay in the fight. Akin to the 12" donut tire in the trunk. You wouldn't put em on your car and go out street racing, but if you get a flat, it will get you home. and its compact and out of the way so you can still use your trunk.
If I were using irons for my main method of target aquisition, I'd go with good ol fixed A2s.

Magpul was the OG when it comes to Ar customization. The first thing I bought for my first AR was a MOE handguard and grip.
I'm still waiting for them to release furniture in the sand color so I can use rit dye and custom color them.
Ya, i don't use donut spares and i most certainly don't believe in back up irons that are so- so.
One of those things thats just not worth skimping on in my opinion.

There was a test done of return to zero and durability of folding backup sights, including Larue, troy, DD, etc, and the mbus was the most durable and resistant to impact. I will try to find a link.

I read that, too. Also remember that MBUIS also come in metal. I think this is the one: Back Up Iron Sight Drop Test - Kit Up!

For BUIS I prefer Troy HK style folders with the standard circular rear.

For buttstocks I use what helps to balance the rifle the best. On a lightweight AR I use a minimalist, otherwise it's the MagPul that balances best.

For two piece hand guards it's the good old original MOE. Feels great and protects my hands from the heat pretty well.

I still prefer the original grip angle since I don't stand square to the target. I don't wear body armor, so I train to present the smallest profile. The MIAD is my grip of choice because I can adjust it to fie either my or my wife's hands. Also the cost is the same as one of their non adjustable grips when you factor in the oil bottle insert that's included with the MIAD.

MapPul gear is durable, affordable, and it works.

It was already mentioned, but a drop test was performed on several different metal back up sights vs the polymer MBUS (Magpul back up sights)

The metal sights didn't fare too well compared to the Magpul polymer sights. He even dropped the Magpul sights a second time after the metal sights failed. The Magpul sights were still fine.

Here: Back Up Iron Sight Drop Test - Kit Up!

Magpul does a lot of things right. They innovate, revise and improve their products, many times due to customer feedback. They are priced more than competitively, and are extremely durable.

Don't forget how they gave Colorado politicians the middle finger by giving away thousands of 30 round magazines to Colorado residents just prior to the magazine ban.

That alone says a lot to me.

I just bought a Colt 6951 Colt 9mm Carbine & it came w/ an el cheapo MagPul BUIS. Why the love for MagPul furniture? Looks and feels cheap. Mags are OK, but I would rather have a LMT SOPMOD of similar butstock or simulare quality furniture. Seems everyone loves this stuff. Replaced my MagPul BUIS w/ a USMC BAC BUIS.

LOL i run an LMT SOPMOD on my AR with magpul BUIS and magpul mags.

Blasphemy!!!!
ha ha!!!

i dont mind the magpul buis, i do like the mags and the stocks/grips aint bad but, i do think their handguards are garbage

my sopmod was gifted to me by a PJ buddy of mine who got to keep it when they upgraded his weapon, again. it has sentimental value to me... its been across the world and back

You keep saying "looks and feels cheap" with really furthering the conversation. For one thing, Magpul doesn't use plastic so I don't know why you keep saying it. It is a polymer composite which more closely resembles a fabric.

I don't see the point of this thread.

I guess my personal feeling is that Magpul accessories look & feel cheap with the exception of their P-mag. I just can't drink the Magpul Kool Aid.

I like P Mags, I like the MOE and MOE+ grips, I like their fore ends (but not as much as I like a good free floated rail) and I like the MOE and CTR stocks as cheap replacements for the vanilla M4 type stock.

I'm not a huge fan of the plastic sights. They do make the MBUS Pro which are steel - but their profile is wonky to me. Just don't like 'em. I can't say I like folding sights much in general - I'd rather co-witness fixed irons with the optic, run an offset set of irons, or go without and just run the optic depending on the gun & purpose. I know the accepted logic is BUIS are necessary in case the optic goes down - but you can minimize that chance by going with good quality vs cheap junk.

I just bought a Colt 6951 Colt 9mm Carbine & it came w/ an el cheapo MagPul BUIS. Why the love for MagPul furniture? Looks and feels cheap. Mags are OK, but I would rather have a LMT SOPMOD of similar butstock or simulare quality furniture. Seems everyone loves this stuff. Replaced my MagPul BUIS w/ a USMC BAC BUIS.

Dude, if you are not using optical sights, then you are living in the Dark Ages.

Start shooting in the 21st Century:

rtxpkz4.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

738524-O-PQB31-415.jpg

US-Army-Soldiers-Shooting.jpg

A lot of this is personal opinion - thank goodness for choice & great choices at that currently in the AR (firearms) market!

I like Magpul - is it all I own? No. But I do own a lot of their products.
I like most of what they produce, even if I choose to purchase a competing item, I still see their products as a HUGE improvement over the base, industry standard accessories.

I have a lot of respect for them as a company. There is no denying that Magpul is a solid company, seriously committed to the industry, very pro 2A and constantly seeking to innovate.
This does a lot of good for the firearms community. Not only does it provide great products for those of us who like their stuff, but it provides great competition for other manufacturers. Other manufacturers are forced to innovate and provide great products & service as well or they'll go out of business. This is good for manufacturers to keep them vibrant and on their toes and even better for the consumer!

So whether you personally like Magpul products or not, that's fine. Even if you don't buy their products, their large, positive presence in the market makes the entire market better - even for those that don't drink the kool-aid. ;)

Last Edited:
I guess my personal feeling is that Magpul accessories look & feel cheap with the exception of their P-mag. I just can't drink the Magpul Kool Aid.
And what's the point of calling it "kool-aid?" If people have a legitimate reason for supporting them the. it's not appropriate to keep likening them to a cult, or insinuating that people are making an irrational decision because they don't agree with you. Lighten up.

Just recently while in the process of looking online & ordering for my first build I bought my first Magpul item (used mind you).
It was a bundle purchase with a CTR stock & a pair of BUPS (backup polymer sights). I have not shot the build yet so will save my comments until then.
Pmags, yeah I bought 10 on sale for $70 but I prefer my USGI's which I have many of.

To each his own and YMMV.;)

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top