JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Can someone please explain this to me? Is this the AR version of "Glock Perfection"?

Why oh why do I see really, really nice rifles built with the upper most of top tier AR parts being given...a junk standard plastic A2 pistol grip?

It'd be like if Shelby finished off a new GT with the most demure of junkyard hub caps. So, please, why are top shelf AR companies adding piss whiskey to the mix in the form of the standard A2 grip?

Or am I just biased?

Can someone please explain this to me? Is this the AR version of "Glock Perfection"?

Why oh why do I see really, really nice rifles built with the upper most of top tier AR parts being given...a junk standard plastic A2 pistol grip?

It'd be like if Shelby finished off a new GT with the most demure of junkyard hub caps. So, please, why are top shelf AR companies adding piss whiskey to the mix in the form of the standard A2 grip?

Or am I just biased?
I'm right there with you. I've never liked the A2 grip, or for that matter, any grip that has "finger grooves" or some other finger alignment gimmick. They never fit my hands and make shooting with them awkward. I've got a box full of them from all of the lower parts kits I've bought that come with one included.

My guess is that so many people have grip preferences that they expect you to replace it and therefore supply the cheapest functional option. They could at least go with a basic Magpul grip or something or maybe there are more A2 zealots than I thought.

My guess is that so many people have grip preferences that they expect you to replace it and therefore supply the cheapest functional option. They could at least go with a basic Magpul grip or something or maybe there are more A2 zealots than I thought.
This ^^^
It's merely a place holder for most AR buyers so they can choose and install the "actual" grip.

This is my go to grip for the AR platform:
MDT_PistolGripElite_SQUARE_01__42860.1643734972.jpg

It's rubberized and way more comfortable than any of the other grips I've tried over the years.

My guess is that so many people have grip preferences that they expect you to replace it and therefore supply the cheapest functional option.
That would be my guess. So many variations exist and putting anything else on them it becomes, "what do I do with this $20 grip".. vs... simply a throw-away disposable grip(??)

While I agree it is a shame if you pay over 1k and only get a basic $2 grip, I also agree with those that state it's likely due to the fact that the end buyer will just swap out whatever grip is on it for the one they like more. I know I do.

A2 grip has never bothered me, but I HAVE thrown a bag of them away that were leftover build parts. :D

Personally, I always swap out the A2 for a Magpul...

I understand your frustration, @Hueco

Last Edited:
I'm right there with you. I've never liked the A2 grip, or for that matter, any grip that has "finger grooves" or some other finger alignment gimmick. They never fit my hands and make shooting with them awkward. I've got a box full of them from all of the lower parts kits I've bought that come with one included.
Maybe it's just me. That little nubbin just doesn't rub me the right way.
That is why I prefer the A1 over the A2, that said, being a primary interface with the gun grips are a personal choice and I prefer the BCM Mod 3 for general purpose and TangoDown BG-18 for smaller, lighter guns.

As to answering the OP, I would say it is similar to Glock sights, cheap as can be with the intent they are to be user replaced with their preferred grip.

A-1 grips for me, of all the aftermarket ones I tried, I end up going back to the simple A-1! I even found the little aftermarket bottom plug ( Mag-Pul?) that you can add small parts to before inserting it in the grip, kinda slick!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top