JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As long as you are not making NFA goods, I don't think it is against the law to disassemble a Rifle and sell/transfer it as another type of legal firearm. Folks have done this forever. Buy a Remington 700, sell the receiver later. Buy a 10/22, sell the receiver later. The AR is no different.
is it legal to sell the Rem700 reciever or the 10-22 reciever as a pistol or "other"? IIRC its illegal to turn a rifle into a pistol.

is it legal to sell the Rem700 reciever or the 10-22 reciever as a pistol or "other"? IIRC its illegal to turn a rifle into a pistol.
I really don't know the answer. I only know it's very common.

In technical legal terms. You are selling a rifle that has been disassembled down to the receiver. It is then transferred as an other on the paperwork. The buyer is buying a receiver, per the 4473, and therefore can do what ever with it as long as it is not NFA.

It definitely is not an exact science. Probably why so many are hesitant to go along with such a thing.

I really don't know the answer. I only know it's very common.

In technical legal terms. You are selling a rifle that has been disassembled down to the receiver. It is then transferred as an other on the paperwork. The buyer is buying a receiver, per the 4473, and therefore can do what ever with it as long as it is not NFA.

It definitely is not an exact science. Probably why so many are hesitant to go along with such a thing.
agree, its terribly confusing trying to keep up with the gun laws. At first I wanted to point out that only the AR15 lower can be sold as "other", but then I realize that even Remington and Ruger sell their 700s and 10-22 recivers as pistol models.

This is a good time to point out my signature line below....

Washington resident here. A while ago (but after I could no longer use my CPL to take possession of a pistol the same day) I purchased a complete Glock used frame on Gunbroker and had it shipped to my FFL. I hadn't even thought about it, but when he filled out the paperwork he checked "other", I completed the rest, he made the phone call, and then handed it to me and said I was good to go. Yup, instant transfer because it wasn't a complete handgun. Love that "other" checkbox.

I wonder what will happen if everyone just starts selling "other"s ?
I see a correlation with the modular future of home built guns.

under washington state law, a lower and even pistol frame do not fit the definition of a firearm.

but if you sell an upper in the same transaction you are violating law

I would not be uptight about it, I simply would not do it. I don't play shell games with the law when there is any possibility that it could get me in trouble. Don't roll the dice unless you are willing to pay the price.

FFLs have to follow rules based on what is presented to them. If you bring in a receiver or a frame that is what they should transfer. They should not transfer an AR lower receiver as a rifle or pistol because it's just a receiver. The buyer on the other hand may want to make sure they know how the receiver was originally designated if they are worried about violating rules prohibiting converting a rifle to a pistol.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top