JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well, is it because it's cheap?

It certainly isn't more available, or at least in my experience.

Doesn't always have to be steel case either. Cheap remanufactured ammo also seems to come up a lot.

I'm confused at the concept and logic. It's not like this happens with cheap guns either, ironically those usually run steel case! No it's usually someone who just dropped 1k on a nice AR or a nice pistol and is like, mer gun don't werk!

I don't get it.

The bigger question is why noobs buy overpriced ARs . When a mini 14 is exactly what they need. Eats anything. Right at home in the bed of a rusty truck. And poor accuracy doesn't matter if you're offhand standing with no concept of stance , grip ,trigger control or sight picture. Just send those steel empties 30 ft up, and over your right shoulder.

The bigger question is why noobs buy overpriced ARs . When a mini 14 is exactly what they need. Eats anything. Right at home in the bed of a rusty truck. And poor accuracy doesn't matter if you're offhand standing with no concept of stance , grip ,trigger control or sight picture. Just send those steel empties 30 ft up, and over your right shoulder.
My best friend back in the day always had the highest end anything and would brag brag brag on how good a shot he was.
He was not a good shot at all.

How expensive are Mini 14 magazine compared to AR ones?

My best friend back in the day always had the highest end anything and would brag brag brag on how good a shot he was.
He was not a good shot at all.
I had a coworker who bought German everything. BMW car and motorcycle, Braun shaver, Traeger barbecue grill, so on and so forth. You'd think him an "expert" driver and BBQ chef to hear him talk, until you rode or barbequed with him. When he heard that I owned a handgun, he asked me very enthusiastically, "Is it a Glock?!!". :s0140: Do your research pal. :D And no, I never took him to the range. :rolleyes:

Steel case runs just fine for me! Even in my 16" mid length AR with an H1 buffer and geissele super 42 spring. That being said, I am not going to go out of my way to buy steel cased ammo unless it is cheaper than brass!

Mini 14s ain't cheap these days!

I run steel case in every thing on range day because its cheap, including in my 1911s.

I have heard the saying if it cant run steel it isn't worth the brass and I agree. If the SHTF happens and all you can find is steel case you better hope your gun runs it cuz that is a bad time to find out it will not.

I do have some very expensive guns from Colt ARs to BCM and so on and they all run it fine.
I do have brass case put away for a SHTF but will run steel at the range if its cheaper.
All my hand guns seem to run it fine as well.

President of the Noob club here. Boutique princess guns not required to join but are welcome and free cigar with new membership.
l'll shoot anything, I'm no purist. Especially these days when ammo is expensive. Surplus brass is nice to shoot but you can't pick it up with a Harbor Freight magnet However, when I shoot brass these days I use a brass catcher.

Last Edited:
I run steel case in every thing on range day because its cheap, including in my 1911s.

I have heard the saying if it cant run steel it isn't worth the brass and I agree. If the SHTF happens and all you can find is steel case you better hope your gun runs it cuz that is a bad time to find out it will not.

I do have some very expensive guns from Colt ARs to BCM and so on and they all run it fine.
I do have brass case put away for a SHTF but will run steel at the range if its cheaper.
All my hand guns seem to run it fine as well.
Very well stated! I definitely prefer brass myself, but I personally don't consider any firearm of mine 100% reliable unless it can handle steel-cased ammo. The ability to function with a wide-range of ammo types/brands is one of my top considerations when it comes to acquiring/keeping a new gun!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top