JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was curious to know why people delete their for sale ad after completing a sale?

I understand closing the thread to lock further replies.

However, I am often researching going market prices for things I want to sell and purchase. I search for them and find numerous recent threads that just say "SOLD."

I think it would be nice if people left the ad up so you can see what the item sold for. Just my $.02

They think that it will erase the gun!

Just kidding, but partly true.

Not like Google cache exists or anything.

I don't sell items here with any intention of helping out with someone's research. Once my item sells I delete the ad. But I also delete most emails and text messages after I read them.

And you guys DO realize most online sales-type sites (such as CL, ebay, etc..) the ad is deleted once the item is sold. I don't know of any sites that keep old ads alive after the item is long gone.

So there's that. And thank you OP for yet another complaint thread about the classifieds. Maybe Joe should start charging a fee to use them. At least that way people could complain and have a leg to stand on.

Just sayn it's good to know what people ask and are offered. It's a bonus.

lots of times you can see people asking $550 for a glock say, but never getting offers over $450. That helps you price yours or to get an idea of what trades are out there.

Delete away if you want, your ads of course but they can help others out.

Gun broker let's you search for completed sales (30 days I think). eBay as well.

And you guys DO realize most online sales-type sites (such as CL, ebay, etc..) the ad is deleted once the item is sold. I don't know of any sites that keep old ads alive after the item is long gone.

So there's that. And thank you OP for yet another complaint thread about the classifieds. Maybe Joe should start charging a fee to use them. At least that way people could complain and have a leg to stand on.
On a serious note, I've sold a lot of stuff on here.

Is the a bleachbit option to "erase" it all?

Just kidding.

:s0156:

And really how long is the ads price relevant? 6 months? A year? Who knows. Supporting members are the only ones allowed to delete their ads. It's one of the benefits.

The price on an old add may be far different from what the item actually sold for or its current market value (Benchmade cough) I figure if it's not a rare collector's piece it's worth >80% of new or I wil just buy a new one. Same logic in an item I was selling.

I'll admit it does help seeing adds current and old though. Like how 43s can't sell at all and I have one I want to sell.

Never bothered me that they disappeared though. Makes sense to have some sort of archiving or time limit delete.

If you don't delete your ads, then you get PM's months later asking if its still available. Yes, even if you mark it sold, people still ask, maybe they just read the title and not the ad. Case in point, this week I got a PM on another forum for a Pelican case I sold at least 6 months ago.

It's a mixed bag.

Pros and cons to both routes. Nothing ever really disappears on the internet.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top