JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
We've been with US Bank since I moved to Portland in 1983. They held our home loan for some years until we paid it off. We still have three money accounts with them. I always really liked them. They were always available in a lot of towns where ever we traveled. NOW, they've taken tellers from the windows to desks. Closed drive-through's. They've closed branches, cut hours, and the other day I needed a cashiers check and after waiting 15 minutes for a desk lady to finish with someone, I was informed ALL their cashiers check machines were down.

I decided to google what happened to US Bank?....

Fed Clears Way for Chinese Firms to Buy US Banks

W---T---F ???

I use them. Only as when we moved we needed a bank that was everywhere. I enjoy having one in my small town that I can access easily. No issues thus far.

Credit union is the only way to go. Banks come up with ways to make money at your expense. Credit Union's come up with ways to help you and improve your experience and the services they offer. When credit unions went to the shared branch model, it eliminated the only upside to traditional banks. Now a member of a credit union has access to more branches than a traditional bank since you can use any branch in the shared branch network which is pretty much every credit union.

It says "U.S. Banks", as in American banks, not specifically US Bank
I googled "Who owns U.S. Bank and this is what was at the top...

Is U.S. Bank owned by China?

Fed Approves First-Ever Chinese Purchase of US Bank

It is 70 percent owned by the Chinese government through CIC, the country's sovereign wealth fund and Huijin, a government run entity set up to invest in Chinese financial firms.May 9, 2012

I guess this has been the case since 2012. I just decided to look and see what's going on with them. I've always done business in the lobby of the bank. When that gets difficult I'm bothered by it. I like personal service. I guess companies don't give a bubblegum about our kind anymore.

The story seems to be that they've lost walk-up customers.
I went to our close branch for another shot at a cashiers check, (I can't get one of those on-line can I?) The gal there said their machine was still down! Great service guys. She said the other branch had a working machine/printer. And they did.

Last Edited:
Sadly just the way times go I guess. My one vehicle that is owned by a bank is a CU. I had never heard of them till this.
I think the worst part is being treated like a child that doesn't deserve to be told the what, where and why of things. It's the "Smiling Faces", some times, pretend, to be your friend. There's a bubblegumload of truth to that song.

I think the worst part is being treated like a child that doesn't deserve to be told the what, where and why of things. It's the "Smiling Faces", some times, pretend, to be your friend. There's a bubblegumload of truth to that song.
Yes all too often "information" is hard to pry out of those who know. When they make it hard to find its normally something they are trying to keep from becoming public. :(
Banks of course want to have less humans they have to pay like any other business that is customer service. The days of a bank on every corner with people paid to greet everyone with a smile are pretty much gone. More and more of them got gobbled up by one of the larger places and of course then the bottom line is to have less people paid to be there to "help". I do feel for those who have all their life gotten used to going in the bank to due business of course but, tech marches on. I can't remember the last time I set foot in a bank. Had to have been like 4 or more years ago. Place we were going to rent let us pay everything on line except the initial deposit. That had to be in the form of a Money order or cashiers check. Wife and I went in one to get that and I remember it seemed strange walking in the lobby of one. Hell the place we financed one of our cars with several years ago I have yet to set foot in any of their branches. I have heard many times that some of the CU's are becoming the last places that still offer that kind of personal service but of course if you are in another town you may not be able to find one that you have accounts with sadly.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top