Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Who here knows how to tile walls?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ronin223, Sep 26, 2009.

1. ronin223

ronin223 Portland Active Member

How do you keep the tiles up? they keep slowing sliding down on me

2. isher

isher Clallam County Member

Wonderboard and thinset. Most tiles have little nubs for spacing.

If they don't, you can buy those little plastic spacers.............

isher

3. Chee-to

Chee-to Oregon Well-Known Member

4. HappyRoman

HappyRoman Sherwood Forest Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Best when tileing to start center bottom, working up, thin set, or ceramic mastic. You will or may have fitting cuts at both ends. Easiest pattern is staggering the bond, not running straight columns. If straight columns are your goal, then line the substreight. Red or Blue chauk lines are best for viewing check each tile. It's the toughest to do.
    Good Luck. May take several sessions to finish a wall. A full shower/tub, is usaually a 2 or 3 session effort.Good Luck..sr

5. pdxjohann

pdxjohann Portland near Tigard Member

Option 1: set the lower course on any little things as holder uppers. Sometimes I use 1/4 to 3/8 strips of wood sometimes twigs or cardboard. Walk away until the next day so that you have a sound base. Then use the gauged spacers and run up the wall. The weight of the tiles above tend to sag the base course
    Option 2: Use appropriate tile mastic and set it right and go slowly double checking periodically for sagging. Again us the gauged spacers as you go.
    MORE IMPORTANT IS WALL PREP. (Red Guard :))

6. ajf1

ajf1 beaverton Member

to add in try a dryer thinset the walls that is have tiled have not sagged

7. GUNNY

GUNNY DAMASCUS OREGON Member

use tile mastic and start on the bottom and work your way up remember to wipe the back of the tiles with a damp sponge to remove the powder residue off of it so it will stick to the glue. i have been a contractor for 18 years let me know if you need any help.