JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Who does Vlogging? What's your go to equipment?

I'm planning some more educational vids this spring/summer and want to step up my equipment and production game. I'd like to find some help from those who know the ropes. I will also need some help in the field with camera and sound operation.

My vids are about being responsible when target shooting on public lands. We are a nonprofit promoting rules, ethics, caring for the land, stewardship and public safety. Videos are key to delivering our message and reaching the many new shooters in the woods.

Currently, I'm using my cell phone camera and a Cannon EOS Rebel T3 (but it's not very stable and does not have an external mic input). I edit on the PC program Sony Movie Studio 18 (which I haven't even scratched the surface of what it can do!).

So, before I 'bite the bullet' on a new Sony 4k camcorder, cordless lapel mics and a shotgun mic, I'd like to hear what you're using and if you like it or not.

Thoughts and recommendations are appreciated! Thanks!
Bill

Just seeing this now.

I used to do photography/videography professionally and would enjoy helping with filming.

As far equipment, it's been a while since I was in the game. I shoot Nikon with a DSLR and the style is intended to be cinematic. I think for the types of shots you're looking for, something with excellent low light, good stabilization, and fast auto focus should be the priorities. The Sony ZV-1 is attractive and fits all these features.

For audio, highly recommend a wireless mic unless you're going to record selfie style. Something like the Rode Wireless Go is a winner. The ZV1 has a decent microphone built in, but if you wanted to go shotgun/directional, a Rode VideoMicro would pair well with it.

Your current T3 is still workable, I don't think 4k is absolutely necessary. We just need to make sure you've got good glass and use an external recorder for better audio quality. Stabilization can be done in post, but this takes up more time for processing. What kind of lens do you have?

-Robert

Robert, we gotta talk! I ordered a cool Sony camcorder (1 step up from the consumer models), and a Zoom H6 microphone with 6 channel input. The wireless pair will happen in March.

I'll try to post a pic this evening when I get home.

You're going to love this camera!

Bill

Sorry, I meant Canon. I ordered a Canon AX40.

Canon AX40 Kit.jpg Zoom H6.jpg

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads