JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Since you like Magpul stuff,

Colt SP6920MP

coltmoe4.jpg

Can be had for under $1300

:s0166:

Colt is a good name, unfortunately the quality isn't there anymore. BCM is a veteran owned and operated company, made in the USA, and they know from experience how to build a quality rifle.

If you have a hard stop on $1300, you might want to take I to account the stuff you want to have to with the rifle. Items like a sling, light, red dot/ scope and don't forget a bunch of magazines...

If all you are looking for is a reliable platform for defense, get a basic inexpensive model and accessories. Even the less expensive rifles like the S&W will do 1.5-2 moa. You can have a solid rifle ready to go for $1300.

I have a couple of high dollar builds, but the utility of the basic plain Jane AR rifle is really underrated from a practical shooting perspective. One of my favorites is my Bushmaster post ban ar, with non detachable handle and fixed front sight with the plastic handguard. Unthreaded barrel, no muzzle decice. As basic as it gets. Simple, cheap and light. Not a tack driver, but will do the job better than you might think.

2012 ?
WindomWeaponry Maine read their About Us great story. Nice lightweight rifle using a Minimalist stock. Good parts selection I have used the round fore end 9" on all my rifles, 5. or maybe that is 4???
They offer a warranty that means something.

Ooooo fun, shopping!

Pre panic prices purchase suggestion:

Upper and lower from palmetto state armory
About $500 including taxes, shipping, and transfer fee. (This would have gotten you a free floated 16-18 inch barrel in stainless, melonite or nitride with a good mlok rail system, the lower would have had a magpul grip and STR stock, my favorite)

With $800 left I would look at scopes and my preferred scope for general purpose shooting is the Primary arms 1x8 30mm SFP for about $360 If you prefer FFP that's about $400, scopes ship free, but if you ship to a state with sales tax, then you'd looking at $400 or $440 if you shop sales, they get cheaper, and with free mounts.

Now you'd be down to $360-$400

I get a sling and a weapon mounted light.

Magpul QD 1 point/two point sling is $50 or under

Streamlight protact 1a (I believe that's the model) comes with everything you need except for the mlok rail slot, could be gotten on sale for under $100. As low as $85 or so in the past. Get a rail slot off the internet for $4-$8.

Now your down to rough estimate
somewhere between $200 and $260 depending on how well you shopped.

You'd have a solid rifle, with all the accessories you need to be able to do a lot of things.

I'd upgrade the trigger to a Larue MBT2s for about $80

Putting you into $120 - $180

Then the rest of the money could be mags, ammo, or more specific accessories.

I like extended charging handles, BAD levers, and extended magazine releases (my hands are bug palms and short fingers)

Current panic prices: You're money won't go as far and I would have no interest buying an AR at inflated prices. Accesories that haven't increases sure, but not rifles. I'd imagine anyone who has lived through the past 12 years has quite a few "extra" AR's lying around and has no need to pay panic prices.

This day and age (8 years later) I would look at a quality AR pistol (10"+/-). Things go south they would be much lighter and easier to carry. Look for a quality barrel, both receivers and a quality trigger. Rest of the stuff just makes it pretty. Buy a silencer for it.

Today I'd buy a PSA AR (rifle or pistol), a Primary Arms ACSS, half a dozen mags, and as much ammo as I could with the rest. If the PSA didn't shoot well I'd pull the barrel and make sure I correctly reinstalled it, perhaps a better trigger like the high value LaRue 2 stage or even the PSA upgraded GI trigger (I have one and it's 98% as good as an ACT for 2/3 the price). Don't forget the minimum tool to maintain.

If I could find a Ruger AR556 or it's S&W Sport equivalent at a similar price to the PSA I'd likely choose one of them instead. My Ruger is TIGHT and has amazing balance with an MFT Minimalist stock. Barrel profile is perfect for a balance between rigidity and weight.

I have AR's in three quality levels
  1. Super accurate custom with the best premium parts I could select.
  2. Ruger AR556
  3. PSA Pistol kit
They all shoot well. They are all reliable. I can trust my life to all of them without hesitation. I'm not worried about roll mark for resale value since I buy firearms as lifetime purchases.

I might just be the oddball weirdo in the group but I can't see paying over $1k for a complete pre-built rifle with no optics. Really don't care about name brands. I've found some cheap brand parts work just as well if not better than the top name brand parts. My rifles may all be mutts with many different brands of parts in them, but they all shoot sub-MOA.

Now AR-308 platform is a different story with regards to price as they tend to cost more since they are physically larger parts.

I might just be the oddball weirdo in the group but I can't see paying over $1k for a complete pre-built rifle with no optics. Really don't care about name brands. I've found some cheap brand parts work just as well if not better than the top name brand parts. My rifles may all be mutts with many different brands of parts in them, but they all shoot sub-MOA.

Now AR-308 platform is a different story with regards to price as they tend to cost more since they are physically larger parts.

Manufacturing volume also comes into play.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top