JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey out there,

I have a bunch of guns, but no semi auto rifles. I am going to get get a AR-15, probally in .223 maybe .308, with so many brands & options I was wondering what is the best bang for the buck. Also quality is a imporatant factor to me.

Thxs. Richard J. Cox

Sorry should have posted in rifle catagory.

Last Edited:
Thats a tough question, there are so many choices..as for caliber it just depends what you will be using it for?? Very cool that your looking at an AR..

Hey out there,

I have a bunch of guns, but no semi auto rifles. I am going to get get a AR-15, probally in .223 maybe .308, with so many brands & options I was wondering what is the best bang for the buck. Also quality is a imporatant factor to me.

Thxs. Richard J. Cox

Sorry should have posted in rifle catagory.

In .223 you have a whole spectrum of quality and options. I would suggest sticking to a factory built rifle from a company with a good reputation. The opinions on what are the quality AR manufactures vary wildly depending on a persons personality or gun forum flavors of the month. There is so much competition in the AR market you generally get what you pay for.

Do make sure you get a flat top. You have more options for accessories with it.

Thxs. for the replies.

I should have stated, I'm leaning towards a Colt AR15 flat top in .223 Rem. around the $1,500 amount. I plan on shooting ground squirels at about 100 yards average. Being that this will be my 1st gun of this type, I have no plans for a custom gun. I just would like to get a quality/reliable gun from a solid manufactorer. I apperciate any recommendations the forum may offer.

Thxs. Rick Cox

Thxs. for the replies.

I should have stated, I'm leaning towards a Colt AR15 flat top in .223 Rem. around the $1,500 amount. I plan on shooting ground squirels at about 100 yards average. Being that this will be my 1st gun of this type, I have no plans for a custom gun. I just would like to get a quality/reliable gun from a solid manufactorer. I apperciate any recommendations the forum may offer.

Thxs. Rick Cox

Good manufacture choice, you can't go wrong there. there be a lot of people that would say Colt is overprice. However, they seem to still retain there value on the used market.

You should be able to get a Colt for less. Check out Buds Gun Shop online, they start just over $1000.

Do you have any restrictions in Cali to consider?

I've an S&W M&P 15OR that is quite functional and should run just a little over half of your budget....leaving room for optics and iron sights (this particular model doesn't come with sights) They do make a California compliant version...it has a fixed 10 round magazine (defeated by a little pin)...just sayin....

The thing that really takes getting used to with an AR is the "boing" of the buffer spring doing its thing right in your ear....I wish I'd gone for an AK...

Buy a Colt and be done with it. LE 6920 is a good choice or the new Colt sporter model 6920. Not all AR's go boing, I havent had that issue. It's hard to just have one!

Morning Pepe
That would be quite a savings. Going to ck out Bud's after I'm done on the forum. Cal has 10 rd mag limit & probally other B.S. I'm not aware of yet (I'm still in the research phase)
Thxs. 4 the help

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top