JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello everyone,
Im a BFR 500 fan, shooting, reloading and being a range wh....opps can't say that. :s0131:
I reload with H110 and 400 gr RN cast bullets. I also like Ranger Ricks 700 gr cast loads. Anyone else like shooting the big 500? I need to try and get some pictures of my rig with the Bushnell 3200 on it but right now she is dirty from shooting and needs a bath before pictures.
Make this a pic thread!:s0155:

I had a S&W 5" that I bought new about 5 years ago. Had it for a couple of years and had a lot of fun with it. I would use it for "plinking" and would use chunks of firewood standing on end instead of tin cans. It would tumble them just like a 22 does a tin can. Shooting it with full power loads is nearly indescribable!:dynamite:

I would use a full load of H110 behind either a 350gr Hornady XTP or 400gr Sierra softpoint.

I traded it a few years ago for my 50's vintage Colt Government Model. I often think I'd like another one back and always look to see if any for sale are the 5", just because.:)

My 4" 500 is the only back up I carry in the woods on Alaska hunts ...

I'm going to have the barrel replaced with a no cheese grater brake on it, I really dislike the look and the mess these brakes create ...

000_2086.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My 4" 500 is the only back up I carry in the woods on Alaska hunts ...

I'm going to have the barrel replaced with a no cheese grater brake on it, I really dislike the look and the mess these brakes create ...

000_2086.jpg

So you didn't trade that off, huh?

Last edited by a moderator:
uhm someone enlighten me,what is the purpose of that cheese grater brake anyways???

There are two compensators that come with the 500, at least the 4"-5" version. (The gun pictured above has a 5" barrel, but only 4" are rifled. The last inch is the compensator, or brake as some call it)

One of the comps has the ports on the sides and the other one has both top and side ports. The one with the top ports is for jacketed bullets. Apparently the lead can get shaved off of a lead bullet and plug up the top ports.

The reason is to tame some of the muzzle rise and kick of the gun. It works, but there is a trade off in the amount of noise and blast directed back towards the shooter.

Shooting one of these guns with full power loads reminds me of lighting off M80s, only you're holding onto it!
Made me giggle every time.:s0155:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads