JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
When was the last raise you received unrelated to change in job duties or change of employer. I was talking with dayshift supervisor last week and he said it's been more than three years since cost of living raises have been handed out. I'm starting to get a little worried that if we have a downturn in economy that it's going to turn into a 4, 5 or more year wait:(

Meanwhile Sherwin Williams jacked up our paint cost by about 30% over the last year or so (including 12% hike coming in Feb).

Ibew local 48 gets 3.50 an hour this year and next on our checks totaling 53.85 per hour 2022 / 57.35 in 2023.
Not bad for "Trade School "
On the flip side with bidens inflation I'll be giving most of that back 😃

Ibew local 48 gets 3.50 an hour this year and next on our checks totaling 53.85 per hour 2022 / 57.35 in 2023.
Not bad for "Trade School "
On the flip side with bidens inflation I'll be giving most of that back 😃
Congrats, I picked the wrong field of work. That's what dropping out of HS gets you.

Don't hang your head too far about school. Lotta guys in the Trades have GEDs.
It's not easy but doable. I did my apprenticeship at 37 with two kids and a wife. I was 18 years into a Forest Service career (GS 7 step 4 , on an IHC Crew.) I walked away cause of all the political garbage they were forcing down our throats, and constant travel was getting rough on the family life.
Worst thing was teaching myself algebra again for a placement test requirement to be an electrical apprentice. I'm an idiot in math.
One month countless hours and 3 try's I passed the rest was fairly easy.
Long story short some of the smartest guys I know darn near flunked outta school. There are a lot of options out there it your willing to take a risk and put in the effort.

Last Edited:
Last year.
While it was termed "Annual Review raise" it had some language around it being a COL bump.
Technically we are a non profit. I knew that when i took the job 2 years ago. There are few extra bennies to make up for a lower pay scale. This position also helped round out my resume.
However i am currently looking around for the right opportunity. Pay has increased across the board and if you have skills that are desired you can walk into a job pretty easy these days. I have even seen folks jumping into positions with zero experience because the labor pool is super shallow and companies will train.

Long story short, if you are not getting the money you want, look around. It is a great time to do so.

Last year.
While it was termed "Annual Review raise" it had some language around it being a COL bump.
Technically we are a non profit. I knew that when i took the job 2 years ago. There are few extra bennies to make up for a lower pay scale. This position also helped round out my resume.
However i am currently looking around for the right opportunity. Pay has increased across the board and if you have skills that are desired you can walk into a job pretty easy these days. I have even seen folks jumping into positions with zero experience because the labor pool is super shallow and companies will train.

Long story short, if you are not getting the money you want, look around. It is a great time to do so.
I really like my job mostly because I get to work alone and on a shift I prefer. It's tough to put a value on that and a similar job would be very tough to find. I have to suck up the lack of pay increases or take a job I won't be happy with. At the moment I am still willing to suck it up but it's beginning to feel like I am taking a pay cut with all this talk about inflation.

I really like my job mostly because I get to work alone and on a shift I prefer. It's tough to put a value on that and a similar job would be very tough to find. I have to suck up the lack of pay increases or take a job I won't be happy with. At the moment I am still willing to suck it up but it's beginning to feel like I am taking a pay cut with all this talk about inflation.

I totally get it.
My best advice is to look around.
Reason being is you might be surprised.
IIRC you work swing or grave. A lot of folks dont care for those shifts.
If you arent familiar with Indeed, take a look there. You can sort jobs by shifts, i think.

It used to be you could go into your boss's office and make a case for a raise outside of scheduled times. There is that route, even if it doesnt work. Planting the seeds now can pay off later.
You cant be told "No" if you dont ask the question.

It used to be you could go into your boss's office and make a case for a raise outside of scheduled times. There is that route, even if it doesnt work. Planting the seeds now can pay off later.
You cant be told "No" if you dont ask the question.
Jobs are like rich guys fighting for the affections of a hot girl (you). Now, you might actually be in love with this job but make no mistake - the job wants you for your … assets. That's it.

You've already settled down with this job. Two things are now true: 1) this job will never pay you more than a future job (they've already "bought" you after all). 2) You bring up an issue with your wages and even mention other employers, your current will get jealous and the countdown to the split is coming. Leaving on negative terms may be inevitable.

I'd look for a new role that'll increase your worth, through some new responsibility, skill, experience. Put in your notice and leave on good terms. Go get that worth. In a year or two, revisit your old employer to talk about you coming back. "Boomerang" is what we call these folks in my industry.

To answer your OP, my last COL specific was two years ago - but this was because I was promoted at the last review cycle. Company does reviews annually/every 2 years, pending the role.

July 1st of this year, min wage is going up .75 cents an hour in the metro area. I will hold off on making any big decisions until then. I am not looking for a raise just for myself, I am wanting a raise for all employees. There are only 9 employees total.

I started working here in 1988 at 17 years of age. Tried leaving a few times but always came back. I'll be 51 soon and starting fresh again has near zero appeal to me. I am going to have a lot of boxes that will need to be checked to change employer. Let's hope the economy holds up and unemployment rate stays low.

Last Edited:
September 2021 2.8% salary increase. Meantime, all the prices went up far more than my salary increase. On a positive note, I am lucky to have a safe job.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top