JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Not a firearm. A must need on my reel to reel recordings.
I just impulse in this phono preamp and I'll try slapping it to the Vincent SA-T7 tube preamp. I previously tried a tube phono preamp, it sounds too saturated especially in the recording. I tried my old radioshack phono preamp. Its much better on the SA-T7. I guess you cant have tubes too much on certain gears especially the type of music preference. Especially in my recording purpose.... :s0090:

Vista Audio phono-2
High End Phono Preamplifier
Wide adjustment rage suitable for MM and MC cartridges
Direct Coupling
(no capacitors in the signal path)
Class A operation
Bandwidth: 10Hz-40kHz
Input impedance:
Eight presets: 47 ohm – 47 kohm
plus sockets for custom loading resistors
Gain:
Six presets: 40-70dB
Passive RIAA compensation
Active offset Cancellation
Gold plated PCB
Steel case for EMI shielding
Dimensions : 7.25 x 4 x 1.5"
(185 x 100 x 40 mm)
phono-2 is a result of continuous learning which made it possible to meet high level performance of phono-1 and, at the same time, provide more convenient optimization for wide variety of MM and MC cartridges.

1713533674210.jpeg

02-Phono2_front_LR.jpg

The robust steel chassis houses preamplifier circuits and stabilized and filtered power supply. External power supply is a simple line frequency transformer, dislocated to eliminate influence of electromagnetic fields on the sensitive electronics.

03-Phono2_rear_LR.jpg

Bottom side of phono-2 hosts micro switches which are used to set cartridge loading ("Load"), preamplifier gain ("Gain") and output filtration ("Low-pass filter"). Examples of optimum load and gain settings for various cartridges are listed here. The image below show unit set for 10k load, 55dB gain and 10Hz slow roll-off filter.

04-Phono2_bottom_LR.jpg

phono-1's load and gain optimization phono-2 can have unlimited settings available by removing top cover and accessing terminals for insertion of additional loading resistors and capacitos. Those terminals are marked R11 and R12 for loading resistors and C11 and C12 for loading capacitors.

NOTE: in order to accurately load the cartridge with the additional resistors, all microswitches on teh rear panel should be in the OFF position. When adding loading capacitance, the default capacitance of 50pF should be accounted for: as an example - if the totalloading capacitance of 200pF is desired, additional capacitor needs to have value of 150pF. Capacitors and resistors with lead diameter in the range of 0.025-0.032" (0.6-0.8mm) can be safely inserted. Larger diameter may cause damage to the sockets.

08-Phono2_custom_settings_LR.jpg

There are six different gain setting possible: 40dB, 50dB, 55dB, 60dB, 65dB and 70dB. The preamplifier gain is set by engaging microswitches as indicated by the printed legend next to the switch. The picture below illustrates gain setting of 65dB.

The phono-2 features an innovative extension of phono-1's active offset cancellation circuit to provide output filtration without adding capacitors into the signal path.There are three available settings:

1) No Filter: this setting leaves only the active offset cancellation engaged and bandwidth of the preamplifier goes down to 2Hz.

2) 10Hz, Slow roll-off filter: with this setting engaged, phono-2's bandwidth goes down to 10Hz, but roll-off starts at about 40Hz. We have found this setting helpful with records equilized by IEC RIAA curve.

3) 10Hz, Fast roll-off filter: our version of subsonic (rumble) filter. Bandwidth goes down to 10Hz, but roll-off starts below 20Hz, thus having no effects on audio frequencies.

The picture bellow illustrates low pass filter setting "10Hz, Slow roll-off"

07-Phono2_filter_LR.jpg

Last Edited:
I just impulse in this phono preamp and I'll try slapping it to the Vincent SA-T7 tube preamp. I previously tried a tube phono preamp, it sounds too saturated especially in the recording. I tried my old radioshack phono preamp. Its much better on the SA-T7. I guess you cant have tubes too much on certain gears especially the type of music preference. Especially in my recording purpose.... :s0090:

Vista Audio phono-2
Direct Coupling
Class A operation
Input impedance:
Gain:
Gold plated PCB
(185 x 100 x 40 mm)
phono-2 is a result of continuous learning which made it possible to meet high level performance of phono-1 and, at the same time, provide more convenient optimization for wide variety of MM and MC cartridges.

View attachment 1865725

View attachment 1865720

The robust steel chassis houses preamplifier circuits and stabilized and filtered power supply. External power supply is a simple line frequency transformer, dislocated to eliminate influence of electromagnetic fields on the sensitive electronics.

View attachment 1865721

Bottom side of phono-2 hosts micro switches which are used to set cartridge loading ("Load"), preamplifier gain ("Gain") and output filtration ("Low-pass filter"). Examples of optimum load and gain settings for various cartridges are listed here. The image below show unit set for 10k load, 55dB gain and 10Hz slow roll-off filter.

View attachment 1865722

phono-1's load and gain optimization phono-2 can have unlimited settings available by removing top cover and accessing terminals for insertion of additional loading resistors and capacitos. Those terminals are marked R11 and R12 for loading resistors and C11 and C12 for loading capacitors.

NOTE: in order to accurately load the cartridge with the additional resistors, all microswitches on teh rear panel should be in the OFF position. When adding loading capacitance, the default capacitance of 50pF should be accounted for: as an example - if the totalloading capacitance of 200pF is desired, additional capacitor needs to have value of 150pF. Capacitors and resistors with lead diameter in the range of 0.025-0.032" (0.6-0.8mm) can be safely inserted. Larger diameter may cause damage to the sockets.

View attachment 1865723

There are six different gain setting possible: 40dB, 50dB, 55dB, 60dB, 65dB and 70dB. The preamplifier gain is set by engaging microswitches as indicated by the printed legend next to the switch. The picture below illustrates gain setting of 65dB.

The phono-2 features an innovative extension of phono-1's active offset cancellation circuit to provide output filtration without adding capacitors into the signal path.There are three available settings:

1) No Filter: this setting leaves only the active offset cancellation engaged and bandwidth of the preamplifier goes down to 2Hz.

2) 10Hz, Slow roll-off filter: with this setting engaged, phono-2's bandwidth goes down to 10Hz, but roll-off starts at about 40Hz. We have found this setting helpful with records equilized by IEC RIAA curve.

3) 10Hz, Fast roll-off filter: our version of subsonic (rumble) filter. Bandwidth goes down to 10Hz, but roll-off starts below 20Hz, thus having no effects on audio frequencies.

View attachment 1865724
Do you like music ?

Vista Audio phono-2
Direct Coupling
Class A operation
Input impedance:
Gain:
Gold plated PCB
(185 x 100 x 40 mm)

View attachment 1865725

View attachment 1865720

View attachment 1865721

View attachment 1865722

View attachment 1865723

View attachment 1865724
If you're into vintage HiFi gear, I have a Sansui 8080 receiver/amplifier in good condition that's sitting on a shelf out in my climate controlled workshop if you're interested.

These are not Hi-Fi but they are kinda cute for computer speakers. These are Harmon-Kardon, the dome in the middle is a sub-bass.

001.JPG

More non-Hi-Fi equipment.

Emerson table model radio, I think vintage circa 1940 or so. My grandmother bought this little radio second hand for my dad to take overseas when he shipped out in 1944. He carried it around the Pacific from duty station to duty station. My grandmother had a map of the Philippines with his duty stations noted on it. When he returned, he gave the radio back to her. She taped the map onto the radio cabinet where it stayed until the tape failed in the 1950's. The condition of the radio got worse over time, then it was placed in storage in a garage. The laminated cabinet was in frightful condition. In the 1980's, two friends of mine who were in the antique electronics repair business (both now dead) restored it for me and I gave it back to my dad just before he died.

2012-08-29a 004.JPG

One more non-Hi-Fi item.

Philco table model radio, I think this one was made in 1941. My parents grew up on the farm in Iowa. They moved to California in 1941 so my dad could work at Lockheed Aircraft. This Philco radio was the first new thing they bought for the apartment they rented. At some point, it got relegated to garage duty where it stayed for a good 20 years. When it quit working, it was placed in storage where it got water damaged. It was in really horrible condition when my two friends took it on as a restoration project. Which included applying new wood veneer to the outside finish of the cabinet. They even put new (repro) stickers on the back with model number, etc. I have it in my garage and every once in a while, I plug it in and turn it on to see if the capacitors are still functional. I prefer listening to my Sony stereo if I'm being honest. I like the legacy electronics mostly for family nostalgia reasons.

2012-08-29a 005.JPG

More non-Hi-Fi equipment.

Emerson table model radio, I think vintage circa 1940 or so. My grandmother bought this little radio second hand for my dad to take overseas when he shipped out in 1944. He carried it around the Pacific from duty station to duty station. My grandmother had a map of the Philippines with his duty stations noted on it. When he returned, he gave the radio back to her. She taped the map onto the radio cabinet where it stayed until the tape failed in the 1950's. The condition of the radio got worse over time, then it was placed in storage in a garage. The laminated cabinet was in frightful condition. In the 1980's, two friends of mine who were in the antique electronics repair business (both now dead) restored it for me and I gave it back to my dad just before he died.

View attachment 1867534
That was an excellent gesture or gift and definitely made his life complete!

Any of those has stories behind it.
This was a 1986 pre-recorded cassette tape that I bought from "The WhereHouse." It was high fidelity at that time. You can still hear the relic of its superior sound after 38 years. Demoed 04-2024
Tell me what I....
View: https://vimeo.com/931063152

This was recorded (by me) in 1987 using an Akai 2-head deck on a Maxell XL-II Type 2 tape.
You Wear it.....
View: https://vimeo.com/937509174

This was a 1986 pre-recorded cassette tape that I bought from "The WhereHouse." It was high fidelity at that time. You can still hear the relic of its superior sound after 38 years.
Those play well enough through my PC on my H-K speaker set.

I've still got cassettes that I recorded on a cheap pre-boom box in Vietnam, AFVN, Armed Forces Vietnam Network. I didn't think those things were designed to last for over 50 years, but they still play. Lousy sound quality, because of the instrument used and the cheap nature of recordable cassettes.

WhereHouse, now there's a store that I remember but had forgotten until you mentioned it.

Yes we are entering the magnetic medias (tapes) true test of time. Time span is suppose to be 40 years. I see lots of them deteriorated depending on how it was stored in years. But if they're running today, it can sound like gold because it was recorded during the analog era without the use of digital-analog conversion that is the closest you can get to the original sound. This is a video that I saw while back. There is a misconception about it being said for example digital sound is better than analog.. or vice versa. Not like that but this short video shows the difference of an original recording to a copy.

View: https://youtu.be/cLWHPy9zdGs

Last Edited:
Speaking of reel-to-reel equipment, today I saw a Berlant Concertone Series 800 for sale. Including service manual. I'd never seen one before. It was lots fancier than the Webcor and Wollensak units of comparable vintage that I remember.

Those play well enough through my PC on my H-K speaker set.

I've still got cassettes that I recorded on a cheap pre-boom box in Vietnam, AFVN, Armed Forces Vietnam Network. I didn't think those things were designed to last for over 50 years, but they still play. Lousy sound quality, because of the instrument used and the cheap nature of recordable cassettes.

WhereHouse, now there's a store that I remember but had forgotten until you mentioned it.
When WhereHouse slowly began to decline sales (for some reason), they where formulating different promos just to make a sale. They came out with you can record a song on tape right in the store itself. I made a few tapes from them. They actually sound decent. I just dont know how long those tapes will last. I believe I still have that tape somewhere but I didn't put that in my recording libraries thou its difficult to find, I would still like to listen and see hoe it turned out after 37 years.

Speaking of reel-to-reel equipment, today I saw a Berlant Concertone Series 800 for sale. Including service manual. I'd never seen one before. It was lots fancier than the Webcor and Wollensak units of comparable vintage that I remember.
I hear alot of compliments about that company thou I never had one. I hope its still in good shape especially the heads. It should be a fun project.

1980 Pioneer CT-F900 High Fidelity Cassette Deck. One of the Pioneers Legendary Blueline Silverface Models. These are the times when they were in its heights.
1714133038364.png

1979 Pioneer SX-950 Integrated Stereo Amp
1714134549504.png

Last Edited:
Back when "Solid State Stereo" was coming on board, the hipsters were dumping their Hi-Fi mono tube amps at the TV/Radio store. As poor teen lads we'd pick up a couple of them for dirt, jump a Garrard 40B cartridge to "left" & "right" and play the "new" stereo albums. At that time records were offered in stereo or mono. Made some killer sound for dirt, loud & clean. You had to shield the turn table from the speakers. Guys were bringing back systems from Nam that weren't pushing as much amperage. After HS one of my buds worked at a TV/radio/appliance store. The first thing I ever bought on "time" was a Kenwood amp, because my bud said they were the only ones listing true wattage per side. I think it was 25(?). It lasted until CDs came about. The next purchase was a Kelvinator fridge. Another bud in the AC business said they were the best. It lasted 45 years. PAX

Back when "Solid State Stereo" was coming on board, the hipsters were dumping their Hi-Fi mono tube amps at the TV/Radio store. As poor teen lads we'd pick up a couple of them for dirt, jump a Garrard 40B cartridge to "left" & "right" and play the "new" stereo albums. At that time records were offered in stereo or mono. Made some killer sound for dirt, loud & clean. You had to shield the turn table from the speakers. Guys were bringing back systems from Nam that weren't pushing as much amperage. After HS one of my buds worked at a TV/radio/appliance store. The first thing I ever bought on "time" was a Kenwood amp, because my bud said they were the only ones listing true wattage per side. I think it was 25(?). It lasted until CDs came about. The next purchase was a Kelvinator fridge. Another bud in the AC business said they were the best. It lasted 45 years. PAX
That dirt you picked is the American Golden sound that the old timer still raves on till today. Its probably a heathkit, dynaco, bogen, pilot..... They really sound good to the right music and preference especially the classic sound. What separates the 80's solid state high fidelity is they marketed the opposite which is high power amps with low sensitivity matching speaker cabinets. Back in the 40's, 50's, 60's... they were using low power tube amps with high sensitivity input speakers which commands on 100db. 1 watt can produce 100db in 1 or 2 meter distance from speaker which is LOUD!
Today there are solid state and tube aficionado's. On top of that digital and analog is another format and another long story. At the end of the day, it all boils down to personal preference whether you like tube or solid state. I like them both. But I use an old circuit design from the 1930's 300B western electric that is customized to my preference which is a push-pull circuit. Its opposite is SET amps which is another long story and still all boils down to personal preference.. :s0090:

1714195122800.jpeg
1714195142307.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews