JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My dad read an article about the F16,18? The article was saying how it was the fastest most maneuverable plane ever.........,
till the Pentagon got hold of it:confused:

Which? F16 has great specs for a single engine. The F18 was cobbled together out of an F5 and some other stuff they had around, but has gone thru some good mods. They both went head to head in the same trials. AF went F16, Navy went F18. Now they want to replace both with F35 for both services. Why? Well it all boils down to costs. Ya think they give a schtucky about an aviator's life? Now they've agreed to refurb about half an order of SuperHornets out of mothballs.

Well, the F35 never was. Perfect example of a plane designed by consensus teams. "Stealth is what the modern fighter needs, and long range missiles. We got that, we don't need speed and manueverability." Problem is, there are longer range missiles than ours, aaaaaaaaand did we not learn anything from Vietnam dogfights or are we just determined to learn the lessons all over again. Thank goodness the other's jets have more problems than ours do. Oh wait, oxygen generators. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Inserting random off-topic video here:

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Last Edited:
And apparently Nosler has the money to burn on trying these new ones out.

They probably came up with the idea when the going was good. They have recently had a layoff. Suffering just like the other manufacturers. I roll my own, so I don't have any interest in their cartridges.

If you all notice, hunters kill far more things than self defenders and tacticoolers. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of reduntant hinting cartridges because the market supports it. Tacticoolers got 5.56x45 7.62x39, 7.62x51, 9x19 and 45 ACP. That covers just about everything tactical. You can throw in 6.5 CM, 300 BLK, 300 Win Mag, 338 Lapooey, and 50 BMG too. Whats that, 10 cartridges? Hunters have more 30 caliber hunting cartridges alone!

30-30 WCF, 30 TC, 308 Marlin, 307 Winchester, 308 Winchester, 30-06, 308 Norma Magnum, 300-338 Mag, 300 H&H, 300 SAUM, 300 WSM, 300 RCM, 300 Win Mag, 300 WBY Mag, 30 Nosler, 300 Ultra Mag. 30-378 WBY Mag, 300 Jarrett......

22 Nosler gives near 22-250 performance out of an AR-15 platform. If they wanted to do something interesting to the military, why not neck it to 24 or 25 caliber and load 100gr bullets in it?

They probably came up with the idea when the going was good. They have recently had a layoff. Suffering just like the other manufacturers. I roll my own, so I don't have any interest in their cartridges.
Not sure what rolling your own has got to do with not being interested in the new cartridge. You could get their components for this caliber and still roll your own.
Rolling your own doesn't give you all the benifits of all the new angles on this superior case:rolleyes:
Or are you talking about making your own new caliber. We have a couple of those guys here in town.

Not sure what rolling your own has got to do with not being interested in the new cartridge. You could get their components for this caliber and still roll your own.
Rolling your own doesn't give you all the benifits of all the new angles on this superior case:rolleyes:
Or are you talking about making your own new caliber. We have a couple of those guys here in town.
I just grind the old headstamp off and engrave my name on the back and 6.5 ZAP (yes those are in fact my initials) is born. same exact load as the 6.5 creedmoor but improved by a spiffy fast name.

Do ARs not come in 6.8 SPC?
Yes, but as stated 6.8SPC requires an AR mag that is adapted to the 6.8SPC cartridge.
6.8SPC is the parent case for 22 Nosler.
PRI, CPD and ASC make 6.8SPC mags.

The lineage...
30 Rem -> 6.8 SPC -> 22 Nosler
Just a natural progression.
Some stick around, some don't.

Nosler may have been smart to do this.....someone else surely would have.
Has to be one of the fastest ways to drive .224 bullets out of an AR.
Nosler has the infrastructure to give the new cartridge it's best chance for success.
Otherwise it may have languished as a wildcat.
Only time will tell.

Do I need one ?
Nope.

You go to a store and ask for an AR mag, you will then purchase a magazine incompatible with the 22 Nosler. The cartridge will not fit.

Take a look at the 22 Nosler website link that I posted.

I realize that. You need a 6.8 magazine. But COAL wise, it fits in an AR15. That is what I meant by "near 22-250 performance in an AR". You can not fit a .473 case head in that box.

I realize that. You need a 6.8 magazine. But COAL wise, it fits in an AR15. That is what I meant by "near 22-250 performance in an AR". You can not fit a .473 case head in that box.
You can do .473 rim diameter in the mouse gun.
.458 SOCOM would be one.
Would have to go to large frame AR to fit 22-250
The bottleneck is COAL with the mouse gun.

I reload for most of my long guns to get sub-MOA accuracy while keeping the cost down. I do use some Nosler bullets in those recipes. I've found it more fun and interesting developing a load for my gun than spending the money trying to find a commercial round that has the same accuracy.

As for the Nosler 22, I'm not seeing a huge benefit from the overall performance I'm currently getting from my reloads. Good luck to Nosler, though.

Honestly I don't see much practical advantage either, and have zero interest in getting one myself, but I can understand how some people will want one.

Some people just want something different, whether it's practical or not. They want to have the best, even if the advantage is minimal, and expensive. It's not for me, but I get it. To each their own.

Honestly I don't see much practical advantage either, and have zero interest in getting one myself, but I can understand how some people will want one.

Some people just want something different, whether it's practical or not. They want to have the best, even if the advantage is minimal, and expensive. It's not for me, but I get it. To each their own.

Look at people like me who shoot 280s. The 270 has been around longer, is factory loaded at higher pressure, and is far more popular. BUT, that .007 inch of bullet diameter really means something!

That was not your post that I replied to, however. I respond to this post below, which was most misleading.

A minute amount of performance increase that fits in an AR magazine. Nosler has come out with a bunch of their own cartridges lately that don't do anything that something else doesnt already do.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews